2024 Montana Recruits - Tier 5

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

2024 Montana Recruits - Tier 5

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:47 pm

Tier 5 - "The Projects"

Prospects in this tier:

- have an outside chance of being preferred walk-on FCS football player but likely will only get offers from lower level programs
- may receive full-scholarship offers from NAIA schools in-state and several other lower division schools out-of-state but may just be partials
- are considered above average NAIA players if they sign at that level
- will commonly redshirt if they sign with a lower level program (DII, DIII, NAIA) and will likely contribute within first two years (not necessarily start)
- commonly referred to as "projects" if they get offered by either in-state FCS school
- get the "project" designation because they have one or two traits FCS programs believe they can develop
- will 100% redshirt if they sign with a Cats or Griz and will need at least three years of development prior to playing their junior years (may never be starters)
- will commonly be on the roster bubble at the FCS level after their first year in the program
- are bordering on preferred walk-on talent (FCS) but are missing a few traits (athletic ability, size, smarts, technique, etc.) that have a ceiling
- commonly have been selected All-State at least once during high school
- will commonly get selected as starters or alternates for the Shrine Game
- have potential to be a backup/rotational player (FCS) at least one year with a good chance of being a multi-year starter at a lower level program

100+ kids out of Montana sign with football programs with the highest volume going to NAIA schools. Anywhere from 15-20 kids find their way to the Cats or Griz each year as well but this "projects" tier really is for the NAIA kids. Out of the 150-200 kids who are in the recruiting pool every year, I could technically put 100 kids in the "projects" tier. Here are the ones that I liked:

42.) Colter Ramos (Missoula Big Sky) - 6'1", 180 lbs. - WR (University of Montana-Western)
For a struggling Big Sky team, Colter put up a great receiver season in AA with the 3rd most receiving yards and 2nd highest avg/game for the Class. He's not a sudden athlete which takes him out of that partial/PWO range in my book BUT he's a polished receiver prospect with great hands, production, and route running skills. Western seems to turn these types into stars at the NAIA level and I wouldn't be surprised if Colter is an All-Conference Frontier player multiple times in his college career. Will start for the West at receiver.
43.) Zane Moodry (Butte Central) - 6'5", 190 lbs. - WR/TE (Montana Tech)
There seems to always be a taller WR out of Montana who actually translates better as a TE at the next level. Zane is that kid in this class but I could see him competing for WR minutes at Tech a few years into his career. Really good ball skills and has some breakaway speed once he refs up the engine. He'll start at WR for the West in the Shrine Game.
44.) Kieran Netburn (Lewistown) - 6'0", 210 lbs. - LB (Montana Tech)
Kieran was slated to have a big year but his season was cut short two games. Lewistown had a shot to repeat in 2023 but losing Netburn was a huge hit early in the year. However, Kieran primarily shines at LB. Much like others in this class at the position, he doesn't quite have the athleticism to be a clear-cut FCS player but he plays fast and physical. He got an alternate selection for the Shrine Game despite getting hurt and hopefully he gets a call up come gametime.
45.) Rueso Battermann (Butte) - 6'3", 190 lbs. - WR
Rueso likely didn't receive the All-State accolades he was hoping for but he just didn't produce enough at the position for a competitive Butte squad in 2023. However, Rueso is a plus athlete and has the frame to develop at receiver if someone takes a flyer on him. Down on him in the final ranking because you have to put it on film but he's definitely an intriguing prospect. Preseason I had him in the partials list so I believe there is something there.
46.) Maxx Lee (Billings Senior) - 6'3", 250 lbs. - DT
Disruptive and high effort defensive tackle from Billings Senior. Maxx also is arguably the top HW wrester in Class AA alongside Hudson Wiens.
As a football player, there are some athletic limitations and he doesn't really fit at the next level on the OL. But Maxx is a great competitor and he overcomes limitations with great effort and a physical punch. He'll start on the DL for the East in the Shrine Game.
47.) Chace Waters (Sidney) - 6'4", 240 lbs. - OL/DL
Chace has the requisite frame to be viewed higher on this list but I just didn't see enough on film to bump him up. However, if you're looking for a kid to develop at OT or OG, Chace is worthy of a flyer in my opinion. Not sure he fits on the interior of the defensive line if he plays college ball. But plenty of room for development as an OL. Shrine Game OT for the East.
48.) Tyler Conrad (Bozeman Gallatin) - 6'1", 225 lbs. - DE
A high energy rush end that falls into this project group. Tyler's future would probably be on the inside due to his body type and he played better inside in 2023. Overall, I like his ability to muck it up on the interior and I'd take a flyer on him to see how he develops in the first year.
Shrine Game alternate.
49.) Mason Kelch (Whitefish) - 6'1", 200 lbs. - S (Montana Tech)
I almost put Mason up a bit higher but he has some athletic limitations that knocked him down a bit in the ranking. However, Mason plays strong safety with a ton of confidence and physicality. The kid has some Brayden Konkol to him so that should give you a picture of what I liked on film. He'll start at safety for the West in the Shrine Game.
50.) Kale Konen (Dillon) - 6'2", 185 lbs. - RB/LB
One of the best RB's in this class, Kale is a battering ram of a runner who led Class A in rushing yards and tied for 2nd in touchdowns with his QB/running mate Kee Christiansen. He'll start at RB for the West in the Shrine Game.
51.) Tyce Casterline (Lockwood) - 6'3", 190 lbs. - ATH/LB (Rocky Mountain College)
Tyce took every snap at QB for Lockwood's first few years in existence in Class A. He's also a good LB prospect and has some room to add good weight to a long frame. Could develop at QB, WR, or even TE on offense if he sticks on that side of the ball. But for the Shrine Game, he'll start at OLB for the East.
52.) Tuff Adams (Helena Capital) - 5'11", 195 lbs. - FB (Rocky Mountain College)
Tuff runs...tough. He absolutely has a future as some type of fullback or H-back if he adds more weight. Not a bad LB prospect either.
Shrine Game selection.
53.) Braden Capser (Kalispell Flathead) - 6'2", 215 lbs. - DE/LB
Braden is a classic case of a good player on a bad team. He deserves recognition due to his ability to create havoc as a pass rusher or as a LB. Braden's length shows on film and that's why you should absolutely take a flier on him. He runs well and plays really hard. Shrine Game alternate.
54.) Jordan Jenson (Lewistown) - 6'2", 225 lbs. - DL (Dickinson State University)
Fergus County has had massive success the past several years in Class A and Jordan is a big reason why. He's a top two-way player in Class A and shines the most on defense either inside or on the edge. Nice pickup for Dickinson State. Shrine Game selection.
55.) Lucas Lant (Hamilton) - 5'11", 205 lbs. - FB/LB
Has been a stalwart for Hamilton since he was a sophomore. One of the top tacklers in Class A last two years and he's a decent runner on offense. Shrine Game selection.
56.) Cooper Collins (Great Falls High) - 6'1", 205 lbs. - DE/LB
One of several rush ends in this project tier, Cooper has some length and twitch to him to make plays behind the LOS. Led AA in sacks in 2023. Shrine Game selection.
57.) Tavan McMaster (Jefferson) - 6'4", 275 lbs. - OL (Carroll College)
Tavan is one of the more physically imposing OL recruits in the state. At the FCS, he would've had an uphill climb due to some athleticism limitations but at Carroll he should have a shot to compete within a few years. Can play all five positions. Shrine Game selection.
58.) Izayah Brown (Great Falls High) - 6'1", 205 lbs. - FB
Big, physical FB from Great Falls High. Also a great wrestler. One of the top rushing leaders in AA in 2023 and he'll play in the Shrine Game.
59.) Manu Melo (Helena High) - 5'11", 150 lbs. - WR (Montana Tech)
A productive two-year starter at WR for the Bengals, Manu's greatest asset may be his punt return skills. He'll have a shot to compete at WR in college but he'll likely make the biggest impact in the return game.
60.) Reese Paulson (Belt) - 6'2", 195 lbs. - LB/S
Paulson was a major part of the dominant Belt team in Class C in 2023 as he played a rover role in the secondary. That's where I'd see him in college if he signs somewhere. Shrine Game selection.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2024 Montana Recruits - Tier 5

Post by PapaG » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:01 pm

Unrated S Kyler Ellerton of Gallatin is playing for Montana Tech next Fall.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:22 am

PapaG wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:01 pm
There will be about 30-40 unrated kids who play football in college.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:41 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:22 am
PapaG wrote:
Wasn’t a criticism. Just added one I know to the list. Kyler came out of nowhere this season in terms of potential.

Thanks for the rankings!

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:51 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:22 am
PapaG wrote:
The Thompson kid from Fairview I think has a full ride to Minot State. Watched him play a couple games this fall. Has a pretty good first two or three steps. Not sure of his measurable’s. I think 6’3”-315 pounds. They mentioned last night in the B divisional basketball that he’s dropped about 30 pounds and his down around 280 to play basketball.