Just wondering….

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Just wondering….

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:08 am

Does anyone that has ever coached high school basketball or knows the MHSA rules know if a Class AA high school basketball program can allow a home school kid that is only in 8th grade to practice with its team during the season?

Punters are people too!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Just wondering….

Post by Cataholic » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:53 am

This is the first year that 8th graders can play at the AA level. I would assume that the previous rules for home school kids would apply the same as in the past, just with 8th graders included.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:06 am

Both the 8th grade rule and the home school rule are up to rules established by individual school districts I believe.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:02 pm

Where do you see this rule? I have looked everywhere. Also, this doesn’t make sense as there are no AA programs that have 8th graders in their school. I understand the private schools and maybe like class C, but this is crazy if this is allowed in AA.

Punters are people too!!

WaMTBobcat
New Recruit

Post by WaMTBobcat » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:46 pm

The homeschool eligible rule came into effect last year and this year is the first year that 8th graders are allowed to play at any level, in any sports other than football and wrestling, without petition. It’s up to the school to form their own policy regarding 8th grade participation. However, all eligibility/transfer rules apply.

Last January after the 8th grade rule was passed, it’s my understanding that AA administrators and AD’s met and came to the agreement that they would “stick together” in not allowing 8th grade participation at the AA level. However, I know of at least 1 AA school that has since decided to allow 8th graders to participate and have 8th graders participating.

With regard to a homeschool student practicing, I don’t believe under the current rules that they would be eligible to practice if they are not eligible to compete at that school by policy. I would reach out to MHSA directly to clarify that however.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:03 pm

WaMTBobcat wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:46 pm
The homeschool eligible rule came into effect last year and this year is the first year that 8th graders are allowed to play at any level, in any sports other than football and wrestling, without petition. It’s up to the school to form their own policy regarding 8th grade participation. However, all eligibility/transfer rules apply.

Last January after the 8th grade rule was passed, it’s my understanding that AA administrators and AD’s met and came to the agreement that they would “stick together” in not allowing 8th grade participation at the AA level. However, I know of at least 1 AA school that has since decided to allow 8th graders to participate and have 8th graders participating.

With regard to a homeschool student practicing, I don’t believe under the current rules that they would be eligible to practice if they are not eligible to compete at that school by policy. I would reach out to MHSA directly to clarify that however.
Thanks for the information.

Punters are people too!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:16 am

Maybe I missed something but do some high schools start at 8th grade now? If not, why would they be allowed to play on a high school team?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:54 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:16 am
Maybe I missed something but do some high schools start at 8th grade now? If not, why would they be allowed to play on a high school team?
If they are physically mature enough and good enough to beat out older players and give the team a better chance to win, why not?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:28 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:54 pm
coloradocat wrote:
If they are physically mature enough and good enough to beat out older players and give the team a better chance to win, why not?
Do Jr High and Sr High still exist? Been out for a LONG time.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:09 pm

WaMTBobcat wrote:

The home school eligibility rule was bound to happen. It was a matter of time before a home school kids' family sued due to them paying the same taxes in the district as kids in public school.

Now that the can has been opened with 8th graders it's also a matter of time before they are allowed in every district. All it will take is one lawsuit.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:32 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Participation in various high school sports is down. You have some AA schools barely able to field full freshman teams. There are a multitude of factors, but one is more sports for kids to choose from. For example, there is girls wrestling, girls flag football, soccer, softball, dance team and now baseball. Kids are spread over more sports bringing participation numbers done. Travel sports have also led tk many kids not getting the same development opportunities in younger grades and they fall behind which eventually leads to them quitting the sport before even getting to high school.

I do know that some schools won’t allow an 8th grader to play if it eliminates an opportunity for an upperclassman to participate.

bcats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcats » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:20 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:03 pm
WaMTBobcat wrote:

Thanks for the information.
8th graders are allowed in Wrestling as well. Football is the only sport that is restricting 8th grade participation.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc