2023 Montana Recruits - Tier 5

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

2023 Montana Recruits - Tier 5

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:55 pm

Tier 5 - "The Projects"

Prospects in this tier:

- have an outside chance of being preferred walk-on FCS football player but likely will only get offers from lower level programs
- may receive full-scholarship offers from NAIA schools in-state and several other lower division schools out-of-state but may just be partials
- are considered above average NAIA players if they sign at that level
- will commonly redshirt if they sign with a lower level program (DII, DIII, NAIA) and will likely contribute within first two years (not necessarily start)
- commonly referred to as "projects" if they get offered by either in-state FCS school
- get the "project" designation because they have one or two traits FCS programs believe they can develop
- will 100% redshirt if they sign with a Cats or Griz and will need at least three years of development prior to playing their junior years (may never be starters)
- will commonly be on the roster bubble at the FCS level after their first year in the program
- are bordering on preferred walk-on talent (FCS) but are missing a few traits (athletic ability, size, smarts, technique, etc.) that have a ceiling
- commonly have been selected All-State at least once during high school
- will commonly get selected as starters or alternates for the Shrine Game
- have potential to be a backup/rotational player (FCS) at least one year with a good chance of being a multi-year starter at a lower level program

I'm going to change it up a little this year with the projects tier. In reality, 100+ kids out of Montana sign with football programs with the highest volume going to NAIA schools. Anywhere from 15-20 kids find their way to the Cats or Griz each year as well but this "projects" tier really is for the NAIA kids. Out of the 150-200 kids who are in the recruiting pool every year, I could technically put 100 kids in the "projects" tier. So what I'm going to do this year is just list off MY favorites with a quick report and go from there. This is in no specific order.

Jett Boyce (Lewistown) - 6'0", 205 lbs. - RB/LB
Jett was the star RB/LB for the Class A state champion Fergus High Golden Eagles. I would have given him a shot at LB at the FCS level. Jett is taking his talents to Carroll College and is a starter at LB for the East squad in the Shrine Game.
Archie LaFurge (CMR) - 5'11", 190 lbs. - ATH/DB
Archie shined his senior season as a RB and safety for the Rustlers. He's a starting RB for the East in the Shrine Game but I like him more as a nickel. Archie has great instincts on the defensive side of the ball and has a knack for getting his hand on the ball in tight coverage. Can never have enough good defensive backs and Carroll College will be getting his talents.
Seth Benge (Billings Central) - 5'11", 240 lbs. - OL/DL
Height obviously hurts Seth's recruiting but his tape is fantastic as arguably the best center in the state and a stout defensive tackle who plays his butt off. He'll be the East's starting center in the Shrine Game. Not sure if Seth wants to continue his football career but you can always use a center prospect like him on your roster.
Shannen O'Brien (Helena High) - 6'3", 255 lbs. - OL
HM All-State guard for the Bengals his senior season and is an alternate for the Shrine Game. However, I think there is definitely something there when it comes to Shannen's talent as an offensive lineman. His technique is more refined than most high school lineman and he plays through the echo of the whistle. I would have no problem welcoming him as a walk-on at UM or MSU and see what you got after one year of development.
Shannen signed with Montana Tech to continue his career.
Jesse Hughes (Dillon) - 6'1", 250 lbs. - OL/DL
Jesse is a Beaverhead County High School product who excelled on both sides of the ball his senior season. He's a starter at center for the West squad in the Shrine Game but I think he could have a brighter future as a defensive tackle in college. Regardless, he's a solid prospect in the trenches and hasn't chosen where he wants to play football yet.
Case Kruse (Manhattan) - 6'4", 220 lbs. - DL
Case was a game-wrecking DT at the Class B level his senior season and it earned him All-State and starting honors at DT in the Shrine Game.
As a prospect, Case is 100% a ball of clay if you want him on the defensive side of the ball. He has a long/lean frame and lines up in a sprinter stance at NG but the motor runs hot and he has decent hands to keep himself off blocks. He's still relatively raw but I'd take a flyer on him. You could add significant weight to his frame to play on the interior or develop him as an edge player as he has plenty of length and athleticism.
Aidan Martin (Bozeman Gallatin) - 6'0", 205 lbs. - Edge
Aidan produced his senior season with 11 sacks and 24 TFL for the Raptors. This led to 1st-Team All-State honors at DE in AA and a starting DE spot in the Shrine Game. Aidan has one of the best senior season tapes in this entire class. He gets in the backfield and wreaks havoc but also effectively plays the run with the requisite leverage and physicality despite his slighter frame. If you try to project him to the FCS level, you likely have to think about him as a LB or edge player in a scheme that will feature him as a pass rusher which hurts his recruiting value at that level. Now as a NAIA recruit, very surprised he hasn't been scooped up yet.
Nick Walker (Bigfork) - 6'4", 220 lbs. - TE/DE
All-State Class B as a TE/DE this year and earned a starting nod at DE for the West squad in the shrine game. Nick is a relatively simple recruit to evaluate as he's tall, long, athletic, and can produce as a DE or TE. He's still raw and plays high too much but the profile fits the mold of a recruit you should take a hard look at. No college selection yet but has been offered by most in-state NAIA schools.
Eli Nourse (Dillon) - 5'10", 165 lbs. - WR/NB
Eli produced an All-State senior season for the Beavers with his prowess from the slot and at defensive back. He'll be a starting WR in the Shrine Game for the West but I like him way more on defense. This is a great nickel class top to bottom as that position is becoming so important at every level in college football and Eli is a pest as a defender. Shouldn't be a surprise but he'll be taking his talents to Montana-Western this fall to play for his father.
Evan Cherry (Bozeman Gallatin) - 6'1", 180 lbs. - WR/CB
Not a deep class of true corners in this class but Evan was one of the best in the state this year earning 1st-Team All-State honors in AA and is a starting CB in the Shrine Game. I think his skillset is really only meant for the outside and appears to be a better fit in a zone scheme vs. man. But again these kids are projects for a reason and I've listed them here because I would take a flyer on them. Should also note Evan had 59 catches for 983 yards and 10 touchdowns on offense last fall so not a slouch on that side of the ball either.
Caleb Utter (Eureka) - 6'1", 185 lbs. - LB/S
Caleb's senior season got wiped out by injury but was one of the best players in Class B his junior season and was slated to have a great year.
Played QB for the Lions but his recruiting lead evaluators to the defensive side of the ball at LB or S. Caleb committed in August 2022 to Montana-Western regardless of injury which is cool of the Coach Nourse. Not sure if he has the true speed to be a college safety but if you can add good weight to him there is definitely something there at LB. Caleb has great instincts at LB and that plays at the next level every time.
Jake Casagranda (Bozeman) - 6'3", 205 lbs. - QB/ATH
Jake was a decent junior QB for the Hawks in 2021 but he exploded in 2022 with a 33/6 TD/Int ratio leading to 1st-Team AA All-State honors and a QB selection for the East in the Shrine Game. He truly made great strides from his junior season and he just kept getting better every game much like Bozeman's 2022 season. Jake signed with Montana Tech this past December as a QB but I'm surprised MSU or UM didn't go harder after him because...his younger brother Brady is already one of the better players in the state at every level and is a top recruit for the 2025 class. Play the long game! But seriously though Jake earned a chance to compete in a QB room in college.
Jace Stenson (Butte) - 6'2", 205 lbs. - QB/ATH
Much like Jake in every way, Jace improved from his average junior season and earned 1st-Team All-State and Shrine game selection honors this past fall. He improved his TD/INT ratio and also rushed for 714 yards and 7 touchdowns. At the next level, I think Jace deserves a chance to compete at QB but I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a LB or Safety. Again, like Jake he committed to Montana Tech as a QB but also was given the ATH designation by the Orediggers so look for Jace to move around as he develops.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."