Hellgate Basketball

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Hellgate Basketball

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:42 pm

Anybody hear about the Missoula Hellgate basketball team? I heard that both girls and boys basketball teams were caught at a party this past weekend. Sounds like drinking was involved and an assault charge is pending. All one week before divisionals and school officials are considering suspensions.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Hellgate Basketball

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:20 am

Yikes, I didn't hear that. You hear rumors like that all the time in high school sports, and while I'm not a Hellgate fan, I do hope this is just a rumor. Hellgate's girls are by far the best team in Western AA.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:11 pm

Someone from a rival Missoula school told me that it is true. He claims that the players were suspended but the parents filed an injunction allowing them to potentially play this weekend. I haven’t seen anything in the media which is strange these days. Especially if legal action was taken.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:07 pm

Rumors are true about the Hellgate team - both boys and girls. Kid is being investigated for some serious charges and didn’t participate in divisionals. In the meantime, about half of the boys and girls teams were at the party. They were kicked off the team but parents files an injunction to allow them to keep playing. All of this occurs just one week before divisionals on a team that is second seed in the Western AA. Couldn’t they wait two weeks to party?? What a joke…. But the entitlement by parents saying the rules shouldn’t apply to their kids is what bothers me the most. If you break the rules, shouldn’t have to serve the penalty?

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:17 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:07 pm
Rumors are true about the Hellgate team - both boys and girls. Kid is being investigated for some serious charges and didn’t participate in divisionals. In the meantime, about half of the boys and girls teams were at the party. They were kicked off the team but parents files an injunction to allow them to keep playing. All of this occurs just one week before divisionals on a team that is second seed in the Western AA. Couldn’t they wait two weeks to party?? What a joke…. But the entitlement by parents saying the rules shouldn’t apply to their kids is what bothers me the most. If you break the rules, shouldn’t have to serve the penalty?
Dumb and sad events. both the party and parent's reaction to suspensions. I served on school boards for a long time and saw more of that kind of thing than I would've ever imagined. Is there any report that a person could read online to learn more of the details?

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:28 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:17 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Dumb and sad events. both the party and parent's reaction to suspensions. I served on school boards for a long time and saw more of that kind of thing than I would've ever imagined. Is there any report that a person could read online to learn more of the details?
I haven’t seen anything in the media. Pretty strange except that the families involved are well known in the Missoula athletic world and most likely get treated a little differently. I am sure there is also a level of anonymity since minors are involved.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:47 pm

Cataholic wrote:
An injunction to let them keep playing or not be off the team? Would an injunction require the coach to play them? Were I the coach, they might dress out but they’d ride the pine for 32 minutes.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:55 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:47 pm
Cataholic wrote:
An injunction to let them keep playing or not be off the team? Would an injunction require the coach to play them? Were I the coach, they might dress out but they’d ride the pine for 32 minutes.
You are right. Unfortunately, many coaches today would look the other way to get the win. Hellgate looked the other way this week. However, the Karma Police caught up with Hellgate this week. The second seed in the Western AA did not advance to state. What sucks though is those kids have not learned any lessons. Basically, break the rules and if you are good enough someone will find a way to keep you eligible. What type of lesson does that teach these young men?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:00 pm

It’s a sad, disgusting (sports) world out there.

Try this one on: parents of a benchwarmer at a school tried to get a starter kicked off a team for drinking during the offseason so that their kid could get more playing time. The coach was like, “we don’t have a policy during the offseason.”

You also hear about players telling coaches that they heard another player at a party where there was alcohol even though the player left immediately. Can’t earn a starting spot so they lie to get their own teammates booted.

I don’t know which is worse between the Hellgate story and what I just described, but I do know people are just nuts and take sports way too seriously.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:14 pm

Was looking for Shrine Game stuff and stumbled into this thread. My boys attended Sentinel in the last decade. When my youngest was playing Frosh football, the starting Frosh QB was caught smoking weed on school grounds. He was suspended from game action for 21 days. Resumed his starting role upon completion of his 21 days. WTF. When I was in HS in the 80s, we had ‘training rules’ that stated that alcohol and tobacco usage resulted in removal from the team, for the duration of that sports’ season.

The aforementioned QB had a very prominent lawyer daddy.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO