Wash State's Dire Predicament

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

D-Wreck
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Wash State's Dire Predicament

Post by D-Wreck » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:17 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:42 pm
D-Wreck wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:06 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:37 am
D-Wreck wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:20 am
Grizfan7 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:56 pm
autocat wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:33 pm
A ambulance chasing lawyer, I new it!
Corporate and securities lawyer. Top 100 firm.
Really? Then why did you say "I am a traveller and big sports fan, not a lawyer." in the thread to rename this forum?

You keep asking people to bring receipts on your b.s.
Because I was addressing 2 points in time. One was now; the other was earlier. I used to be a football player, but am not now. See how that works. Everything I have said in this forum is accurate. I can do BS too, but haven’t.
November 25th - I'm a lawyer at a top 100 firm.
November 28th - I'm not a lawyer.
November 29th - Both of the above statements are true.

Pretty quick professional turnaround there.
I didn’t say “I am” lawyer. I said what kind of lawyer I was. I also said: "Part of my law practice was Intellectual Property." Note the tense of the word "was". That refers to the past, not the current time. (It didn't say "is"). I don’t practice law and don’t have a practice. But I still know a good deal about what I did for 45 years.
Intentionally pedantic sexagenarian former/retired/disgracefully disbarred attorneys who get their kicks posting on rival's message boards are some of the lowest forms of life in this messed up world.

But you got under my skin, so you win.

Sorry I fed the troll, I know better.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:07 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:09 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:29 pm
So I can use my paid subscription to the The Athletic to copy large chunks of interesting articles to Bobcat Nation (with a citation and a link) so that anyone here may read them for free? I better get to work a-copying-and-a-pasting ‘cause they got lots of good stuff in there.
Probably, under limited circumstances under the Fair Use doctrine, although I don't know the answer for sure to your precise question. Only limited quotes. Not most or all of the article. The particular Journal article I quoted is available on the internet, by the way. I think I quoted 7 or 8 paragraphs of a 27 para article. The use for commentary and reporting information is okay.

"Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports. There are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentage of a work. Whether a particular use qualifies as fair use depends on all the circumstances."

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq- ... %20reports.

Generally, publications like being quoted, and also like the traffic that the link brings to the full article and website.

See that another thread here says "permission from Massey". I wonder how the poster got permission. Not saying anything he did was wrong or unual. This is what the Massey copyright notice says. See the last sentence. Note that the Massey thread doesn't violate anything in the first sentence.

"Copyright Statement
You may not distribute, exchange, modify, sell, or transmit anything you copy from this Site for any business, commercial, or public purpose. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without expressed written permission from Massey Ratings LLC is strictly prohibited."
Written permission on file. Q.E.D.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:27 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:07 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:09 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:29 pm
So I can use my paid subscription to the The Athletic to copy large chunks of interesting articles to Bobcat Nation (with a citation and a link) so that anyone here may read them for free? I better get to work a-copying-and-a-pasting ‘cause they got lots of good stuff in there.
Probably, under limited circumstances under the Fair Use doctrine, although I don't know the answer for sure to your precise question. Only limited quotes. Not most or all of the article. The particular Journal article I quoted is available on the internet, by the way. I think I quoted 7 or 8 paragraphs of a 27 para article. The use for commentary and reporting information is okay.

"Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports. There are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentage of a work. Whether a particular use qualifies as fair use depends on all the circumstances."

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq- ... %20reports.

Generally, publications like being quoted, and also like the traffic that the link brings to the full article and website.

See that another thread here says "permission from Massey". I wonder how the poster got permission. Not saying anything he did was wrong or unual. This is what the Massey copyright notice says. See the last sentence. Note that the Massey thread doesn't violate anything in the first sentence.

"Copyright Statement
You may not distribute, exchange, modify, sell, or transmit anything you copy from this Site for any business, commercial, or public purpose. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without expressed written permission from Massey Ratings LLC is strictly prohibited."
Written permission on file. Q.E.D.
Okay. Let’s see a screenshot.