UM's team and MSU's team

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

UM's team and MSU's team

Post by Grizfan7 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:30 pm

I hope you can teach us Griz fans about how good all of your players are, and how they are all, except maybe for 2 who some of you say are the only 2 who would start for the Cats, better than the Griz players. Some of you admit the Gubner and Bergen are top notch.

QB's - your 2 QB's a very good. The Griz QB situation is a work in progress, but there's some talent in the QB room, and picking McDowell as the starter in the last 3 games is paying off so far. Not having a starter held the UM O back this year early on. And the O still has to become much better.

Receivers - I don't know anything about your receivers, but Bergen, Fontes and White are very good, fast, athletic and have good hands. UM receiver are 6th, 9th and 29th in conference. 30, 29, and 17 receptions. I see that your receivers have: 15, 8 and 12 catches. 1, 2 and 3 TD's.

Running backs - I don't know much about your backs, other than some stats. Yes, I know MSU has a terrific running game, but a good running game, good blocking, and good running scheme, don't necessary mean that backs are great runners. And can they catch? The Griz have 3 terrific running backs and very good 4th one, who played a number of games last year. The top 2 are sharing most of the carries. The 3d guy was a starter much of last year as a true frosh. All have speed. The top 2 also have power. One of the top 2 was hurt early in the year and didn't play then. Gilman is averaging about the same number of yards per game as White, but not nearly as much per carry.

O-Line - Your o-line is very good. The UM o-line is finally starting to get their act together. Same starters as last year, and a transfer who started at his FCS school last season. Good depth. One returning first team all conference player, who was a pre-season all conference pick this year. He has had a nagging injury and hasn't played full time and hasn't started many games. He had a terrific game against Idaho, but didn't start. A returning 3d team all-conference player. And, Walker, who was picked by a publication to be the first conference player picked in the NFL draft this year. He was off to a slow start, but since some changes in o-line play were made by the coaches several weeks ago, he and all of the o-line are now coming alive and playing much better. We shall see. Coming into the season, I had preferred the UM o-line because I thought they could pass block better than the Cats o-line and passing is important to the Griz. That doesn't mean I thought they were better than the Cats' o-line. If UM's o-line doesn't continue to play better, then UM is not going to meet its goals. I think they will, but who knows.

TE's - I know your coach thinks your TE's are very good. I don't think they were all-conference picks, tho. UM lost its top one to injury, Grossman, but has 2 huge kids playing, blocking well, and have caught the very few passes throw their way. I don't pay much attention to TE's.

D-Line - Many believe Gubner is the best d-lineman in the conference and one of the best in FCS. He had chances to go FBS, but stayed. He's a great player and hard worker. UM just got its 2d best d-lineman backs. UM has pretty good talent and even some depth now, along with good speed, but lacks size. I haven't talked to the coaches about the d-line, so I don't have much more to say.

LB's - The UM linebackers are very good and have depth. Braxton Hill is playing at all-conference level, and has been nominated for conference D player of week 3 times. Newcomer Riley Wilson is very good and fast, but has missed some games due to injury. He's back now and playing very well. He will likely be all conference after this year (and I think has 2 more years after this). No. 37 Janacaro is good. Having Roger Cooper at the lb coach seems to have helped this group step up. I can't imagine the Cat backers are as good and deep as the Griz backers, but I look forward to you convincing me otherwise.

Secondary - The UM secondary is fairly deep and has a bunch of good players. No all-Americans like last years. Maybe a 2/3 guys who will make an all-conference team. MSU has a fairly slow safety. A conference coach (not from UM) told me that. He can be taken advantage of. I know little about the Cats' secondary. Who are your possible all-conference players? Your starters from last week are kind of small: 5'8", 184, 5'10", 171, 6'1", 206, 6'1", 181, 6', 171. Hopefully, they are fast and good tacklers.

Hill and Meyer are 4th and 12th in the conference in tackles. Cats' best are 25th and 28th. UM has 11 picks; MSU 7 (1 less game). MSU has gotten a lot of sacks; UM has given up a ton of sacks, but hopefully that is improving now with the changes to the o-line scheme (or whatever was changed).

Bergen is averaging 18.6 in punt returns and is top 5 in the nation. I like the Cat kicker/punter. Strong leg. Good get for Cats.

The Griz D is very good. They tackle well. They have depth, but, again, lack size on the d-line.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Re: UM's team and MSU's team

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:53 pm

Personally, I think MSU will be lucky to stay within 20 points of that amazing Griz team.

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:55 pm

You really think this is a fan, Tom? Troll all the way.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:58 pm

1. I said Gubenr and Bergen would see the field for the Cats, I did not say they were top notch. Bergen is quick and has good hands, however he can's carry clevans jock when it comes to blocking downfield. that is part of the requirement at MSU. personally even though he is out and he is younger, its a toss of for me between Taco and Bergen.

Gubner would likely be in the top 4 for tackles and would be in the rotation, my only knock on him is that he seems to take plays off, but lacking depth he is most likely just wearing down, it will be more pronounced as the season goes on.

2. Everything else you write is just blowing smoke, either you are a piss poor judge of talent or you just don't know any better.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:31 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:58 pm
1. I said Gubenr and Bergen would see the field for the Cats, I did not say they were top notch. Bergen is quick and has good hands, however he can's carry clevans jock when it comes to blocking downfield. that is part of the requirement at MSU. personally even though he is out and he is younger, its a toss of for me between Taco and Bergen.

Gubner would likely be in the top 4 for tackles and would be in the rotation, my only knock on him is that he seems to take plays off, but lacking depth he is most likely just wearing down, it will be more pronounced as the season goes on.

2. Everything else you write is just blowing smoke, either you are a piss poor judge of talent or you just don't know any better.
The Griz receivers are blocking well down field. Gubner doesn't get many tackles. He doesn't take any plays off. Gubner must in terrific shape. Everything I wrote about the Griz is accurate. If you don't want to response with substance, maybe some else will. If not, no big deal

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:34 pm

DMMDCats wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:55 pm
What do you find troll-like? Everything I've said is accurate, except one typo. I find it odd that you wouldn't want to have a real discussion. If no one wants to have a discussion about the teams, I'm fine with that. There's always egriz.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:35 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:34 pm
DMMDCats wrote:
What do you find troll-like? Everything I've said is accurate, except one typo. I find it odd that you wouldn't want to have a real discussion. If no one wants to have a discussion about the teams, I'm fine with that. There's always egriz.
Yes there is which would be the appropriate place for you to be if you want post 20-30 posts per day about the Griz. Feel free to find your way back over there and quit wasting my time. Thanks in advance.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:30 pm

kmax wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:35 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
Yes there is which would be the appropriate place for you to be if you want post 20-30 posts per day about the Griz. Feel free to find your way back over there and quit wasting my time. Thanks in advance.
I didn't realize there was any limit on number posts. I have mostly responded to other posters. I didn't post anything that was remotely trolling. I have not done or said anything that would remotely violate the forum rules. I have provided all correct and substantive information. I have been completely polite and not said anything negative about anyone or anything Cat. Can't say that I got completely polite in return, but no big deal.

I will glance at the other posts directed at me now, and then bow out. I thought I was adding something to the forum and helping create a nice discussion. I was hoping to learn more about the Cats' current team. I grew up in Bozeman and loved the Cats. My stepfather was a ME prof at UM for 3 decades. My mom worked at the Foundation for a decade or two. I have contributed a decent amount of money to the Foundation. I was recruited by the Cats, i.e. Tom Part. Many of my friends and teammates played for the Cats. I am friends with a number of the older boosters, like Larry Aasheim and the Simkins, who are my cousins. My family still lives in Bozeman. But, yes, I became a Griz fan.

If the forum changes their mind, let me know. It was short and sweet. I may say a few more things about my short experience here on egriz. Thanks to the several posters who responded with some back and forth, including 2506. See you back in my home territory.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:32 pm

DMMDCats wrote:
He’s keeping me entertained. That’s all I know. There’s a lot worse. I’m just having fun with it. :)

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:39 pm

kmax wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
Oh good grief man. He kept it in the right forum and didn’t post anything bad. Relax. A little discussion is good.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:37 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:53 pm
Personally, I think MSU will be lucky to stay within 20 points of that amazing Griz team.
+1

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:04 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:39 pm
kmax wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
Oh good grief man. He kept it in the right forum and didn’t post anything bad. Relax. A little discussion is good.
You've got your opinion and that's fine. I've got mine. Guess which one of us has to deal with all the extra stuff that goes on from a poster like this joining and posting this much "positive" stuff about the rival. Discussion is one thing, passive aggressive posting to try and just get reactions is trolling regardless. I didn't kick the guy out, I simply made a suggestion to him.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:17 am

kmax wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:04 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
kmax wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
You've got your opinion and that's fine. I've got mine. Guess which one of us has to deal with all the extra stuff that goes on from a poster like this joining and posting this much "positive" stuff about the rival. Discussion is one thing, passive aggressive posting to try and just get reactions is trolling regardless. I didn't kick the guy out, I simply made a suggestion to him.
If posting trying to get reactions is trolling, then you advocating for Cat4Lyfe makes less and less sense.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:30 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:17 am
kmax wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:04 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
kmax wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
If posting trying to get reactions is trolling, then you advocating for Cat4Lyfe makes less and less sense.
I think you are mistaken on what advocating is. I've simply tried to tell people that insist beyond a doubt he is a griz troll that in fact everything I can see says he isn't. Go back and look and you'll see I've at the same time said I didn't like his posts and wanted everyone else to quit responding to him because it makes a mess of the board. Pretty similar to this here. Both this new poster and cat4lyfe have received warnings from me. When a user like this posts things like "Griz Basketball Looking Up this Year" and the post makes sure to start off by noting how low the Cats are ranked preseason before even mentioning the Griz, that...that's trolling. When a user like this comes in and starts multiple threads in their first few days and starts responding to many others and then reports multiple other posters that have responded to them to me they move into the pain in the ass territory. When called out for said behavior and asked to stop they go into victim mode and start whining about how they are following all the rules and are just trying to discuss then it all but confirms their intentions. After over 20 years of doing this, there is a pretty easy to follow playbook for these things. Again I didn't ban the guy, just suggested that maybe his efforts might be better served elsewhere.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:13 am

Lol.

I've been around football forums for about 15 years. Hoopsfan might be the most pathetic homer and least gifted troll I've ever encountered.

It would be pitiable if it wasn't so funny.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:43 am

Lord Vigo wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:13 am
Lol.

I've been around football forums for about 15 years. Hoopsfan might be the most pathetic homer and least gifted troll I've ever encountered.

But he is tremendous fun!

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:54 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:43 am
Lord Vigo wrote:
Lol.

Eh... to each their own. I just keep getting a mental image of this sad sack sitting at his computer, feeling smug about his "high level trolling." It's kind of a downer.

Oh man. Bobby would be so proud of me right now...

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:19 am

Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:31 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:58 pm

The Griz receivers are blocking well down field. Gubner doesn't get many tackles. He doesn't take any plays off. Gubner must in terrific shape. Everything I wrote about the Griz is accurate. If you don't want to response with substance, maybe some else will. If not, no big deal

:lol: :lol:
Our QB's throw more blocks that your wide receivers and TE's

You have no clue what a block is.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:21 am

Ok, its been fun, I think that any of us that browse that other site can recognize this guys writing style and personality disorders. That being said I am bowing out of this now, while fun it is kind of a waste of time.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:52 am

Lord Vigo wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:54 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:43 am
Lord Vigo wrote:
Lol.

Eh... to each their own. I just keep getting a mental image of this sad sack sitting at his computer, feeling smug about his "high level trolling." It's kind of a downer.

Oh man. Bobby would be so proud of me right now...
Yes, he (hoops) is definitely a jewel...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.