Why not baseball?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Why not baseball?

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:12 pm

Dang, it would be nice to see women's wrestling and baseball at MSU.

In addition, there are a few schools I personally love seeing get beat in any competition. This one is especially sweet as to who beat the "Better dead than red!"

https://www.dakotanewsnow.com/2023/04/2 ... e-history/

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: Why not baseball?

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:26 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:12 pm

In addition, there are a few schools I personally love seeing get beat in any competition. This one is especially sweet as to who beat the "Better dead than red!"

:roll: You've lived in the south for too long CatGrouch. Bozeman is just now starting to thaw out. There is no way the D1 Montana teams could make baseball work without a full sized dome in which to play, seeing as how the season starts in the middle part of February, with preseason drills/camp before that.

MSU-B barely makes it work right now, and it's only because Billings is the banana belt of Montana. I'd expect Brookings to have a similar climate to Billings.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:28 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:26 pm
Cat Grad wrote:

:roll: You've lived in the south for too long CatGrouch. Bozeman is just now starting to thaw out. There is no way the D1 Montana teams could make baseball work without a full sized dome in which to play, seeing as how the season starts in the middle part of February, with preseason drills/camp before that.

MSU-B barely makes it work right now, and it's only because Billings is the banana belt of Montana. I'd expect Brookings to have a similar climate to Billings.
Damn. They best get rid of pasture pool too then...

Wonder how they were able to play baseball at MSU when I was a kid?

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:38 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:28 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

1. The seasons were probably shorter then.
2. The ‘Cats probably played the first half of the schedule on the road.
3. It didn’t work very well, which is why they quit.

I did enjoy sitting on the grass and watching games at Dyche Field.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:42 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:38 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

71 was the last year of baseball. I remember the team practicing in the fieldhouse with the track team. Other than baseball and wrestling, what were the other two sports they dropped the end of 71? Skiing? The rifle team? Bowling?

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:30 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:42 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

71 was the last year of baseball. I remember the team practicing in the fieldhouse with the track team. Other than baseball and wrestling, what were the other two sports they dropped the end of 71? Skiing? The rifle team? Bowling?
Remember Title IX was signed in 1972. Budget was tight in 1971 so athletics were struggling and the 1972 changes devoting more dollars to women’s sports were the major reasons for cutting out some of the men’s sports.

I still communicate with a couple of the baseball guys and see them if they stop in for a football game.

I had to pull the annual out for 1970-71. You already mentioned wrestling and baseball going away. We did have a men’s golf team at the time (finished 2nd to last in conference that year) which was eliminated. Bowling and rifle team were shown in the “intramural” section of the annual. We had a very good rifle team in those years…remember Lones Wiger the Olympic medalist and World Champion was on that team pre-1971. There is a men’s soccer team shown in the sports section but the way it reads they were just trying to form the team.

I think skiing kept going if recollection is correct. Also we still had freshmen men’s BB and football teams known as the “Bobkittens” for those not of that vintage…(and yes the Gris freshmen teams were known as the “Cubs”). Freshmen could not play varsity per NCAA rules at that time but I don’t remember what year the freshmen teams were dropped.

You get double bonus points if you can remember the full basketball team from that era other than the usual Weeks, Brickhouse, Koelzer names. And triple bonus if you can tell me who the homecoming queen was!
Last edited by BobcatDel on Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:45 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:30 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Remember Title IX was signed in 1972. Budget was tight in 1971 so athletics were struggling and the 1972 changes devoting more dollars to women’s sports were the major reasons for cutting out some of the men’s sports.

I still communicate with a couple of the baseball guys and see them if they stop in for a football game.

I had to pull the annual out for 1970-71. You already mentioned wrestling and baseball going away. We did have a men’s golf team at the time (finished 2nd to last in conference that year). Bowling and rifle team were shown in the “intramural” section of the annual.

I think skiing kept going if recollection is correct. Also we still had freshmen men’s BB and football teams known as the “Bobkittens” for those not of that vintage. Freshmen could not play varsity per NCAA rules at that time but I don’t remember what year the freshmen teams were dropped.

You get double bonus points if you can remember the full basketball team from that era other than the usual Weeks, Brickhouse, Koelzer names. And triple bonus if you can tell me who the homecoming queen was!
Not biting...lol

What year was Steve Fichtner's sister-in-law from Laurel, Joyce Whitney I think but not certain, Homecoming queen? The big guy from Columbia Falls, Marky Mark Beckwith was on that team with Scott and Willie. Don't recall any others...

Jim's daughter, Sheila Sweeney, and a bunch of the Rosary kids and some of the Belgrade kids were cheerleaders?

There was another really cute girl, can't remember her name either, short blonde from Great Falls who was a Homecoming Queen Candidate...

See, I can remember some of that stuff. Robin Daniels and the Furhman girl from Scobey came a couple years later, so they weren't part of the Homecoming Royalty in 71.

*Edit: Nick was on that team, right?

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:02 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:45 am
BobcatDel wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

I had to pull the annual out for 1970-71. You already mentioned wrestling and baseball going away. We did have a men’s golf team at the time (finished 2nd to last in conference that year). Bowling and rifle team were shown in the “intramural” section of the annual.

I think skiing kept going if recollection is correct. Also we still had freshmen men’s BB and football teams known as the “Bobkittens” for those not of that vintage. Freshmen could not play varsity per NCAA rules at that time but I don’t remember what year the freshmen teams were dropped.

Not biting...lol

What year was Steve Fichtner's sister-in-law from Laurel, Joyce Whitney I think but not certain, Homecoming queen? The big guy from Columbia Falls, Marky Mark Beckwith was on that team with Scott and Willie. Don't recall any others...

Jim's daughter, Sheila Sweeney, and a bunch of the Rosary kids and some of the Belgrade kids were cheerleaders?

There was another really cute girl, can't remember her name either, short blonde from Great Falls who was a Homecoming Queen Candidate...

See, I can remember some of that stuff. Robin Daniels and the Furhman girl from Scobey came a couple years later, so they weren't part of the Homecoming Royalty in 71.

Wow…..you are a champ! I did remember Beckwith (with Willie Weeks, Bill Brickhouse, Scott Koelzer) and Coach Hulst but the rest were long gone from memory for that team and I used to go to every game I could! And you paid more attention to the girls because I didn’t remember any of those names.

Kinda fun to look at. FB team had a tough year but the Bobkitten FB team was undefeated and if you look at the names on that freshmen roster you understand that things were looking up for the next few years.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:09 am

Cat Grad wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Not biting...lol

Yep. Nick Fullerton was on that team.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:15 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:09 am
Cat Grad wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Not biting...lol

Bonus points for you if you remember who the track coach was in 70 and what he does now. Hint: he put Bobby Hurley back together after his car wreck.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:31 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:15 am
BobcatDel wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Not biting...lol

Bonus points for you if you remember who the track coach was in 70 and what he does now. Hint: he put Bobby Hurley back together after his car wreck.
Definitely a triple bonus point question and I don’t know or remember.

But another thing that unfolded from some cell was the National College Final rodeo was still held at MSU in those days. Gee we had some good teams at the time Schall, Perkins, Thompson, Wagners and others. Used to be a gazillion Wally Bynum Airstreams parked out where current FB stadium is for the event. Used to go to that every year I was in state. Still PO’d when that left due to spat (or should I say “spit”) over chewing tobacco sponsorship…. but also realistically understand we could have never kept it with the big money event it is now.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:59 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:31 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:15 am
BobcatDel wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Not biting...lol

Definitely a triple bonus point question and I don’t know or remember.

But another thing that unfolded from some cell was the National College Final rodeo was still held at MSU in those days. Gee we had some good teams at the time Schall, Perkins, Thompson, Wagners and others. Used to be a gazillion Wally Bynum Airstreams parked out where current FB stadium is for the event. Used to go to that every year I was in state. Still PO’d when that left due to spat (or should I say “spit”) over chewing tobacco sponsorship…. but also realistically understand we could have never kept it with the big money event it is now.
Yes, Geoffy really did MSU proud...

I recall him telling Hysell "I used to be the president." You know how the response went: "Of what?" This was a couple years after he canned Kramer. What a tool.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:39 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

I had to pull the annual out for 1970-71. You already mentioned wrestling and baseball going away. We did have a men’s golf team at the time (finished 2nd to last in conference that year) which was eliminated. Bowling and rifle team were shown in the “intramural” section of the annual. We had a very good rifle team in those years…remember Lones Wiger the Olympic medalist and World Champion was on that team pre-1971. There is a men’s soccer team shown in the sports section but the way it reads they were just trying to form the team.

I think skiing kept going if recollection is correct. Also we still had freshmen men’s BB and football teams known as the “Bobkittens” for those not of that vintage…(and yes the Gris freshmen teams were known as the “Cubs”). Freshmen could not play varsity per NCAA rules at that time but I don’t remember what year the freshmen teams were dropped.

I let my yearbooks go when I moved. Darn! Now I want to look at them (67-68 thru 70-71). So, I’m not cheating. And I’m going to try for the triple bonus on the Fall 1970 Homecoming Queen. Peggy Edie.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:01 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:39 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

I let my yearbooks go when I moved. Darn! Now I want to look at them (67-68 thru 70-71). So, I’m not cheating. And I’m going to try for the triple bonus on the Fall 1970 Homecoming Queen. Peggy Edie.
Del, did you retire back to the Gallatin? 4ever, did you ever leave?

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:13 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:01 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

@Cat Grad Yes, I (bobcat4ever) did leave after 70 years. Born in Bozeman, graduated and retired from MSU. My skeleton had some injuries and a poor surgical result such that I have no ability to get around on snow and ice. We‘ve lived in Southern Nevada, snow and ice free, for four years now. The move to warm weather and a smaller town (and ESPN+) has been perfect for us.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:34 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:13 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

@Cat Grad Yes, I (bobcat4ever) did leave after 70 years. Born in Bozeman, graduated and retired from MSU. My skeleton had some injuries and a poor surgical result such that I have no ability to get around on snow and ice. We‘ve lived in Southern Nevada, snow and ice free, for four years now. The move to warm weather and a smaller town (and ESPN+) has been perfect for us.
Great! I've never heard of anyone retiring to the north. Even all the great people I served with in the Army, both active and the reserves, they all retired to the south someplace. I moved to Wyoming for the summers and southern Missouri and northern Arkansas for the winter months. It's difficult for me to return to the area I was raised in for very long. I don't recognize Belgrade International Airport, for instance. Seems all I do is go to funerals or weddings when I go back home.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:02 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

My uncle was on that 63 National Championship Rifle team with Lones and Teri Reiser's mom. She was the first female letterman for MSU. Amazing how fun seems to fly when you're doing time and forget about all the hell you raised as a kid!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue May 02, 2023 12:44 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Yes I retired back to Bozeman after a career spanning 40 years, every continent except Antarctica, and 14+ moves. Things changed to say the least.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue May 02, 2023 12:50 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

I can neither “confirm nor deny” Peggy Edie….So you are still in the running for those bonus points. The yearbook I have is 1970-71, Joan Peters was the Homecoming Queen in this book. And a fine selection in my opinion. I’m going to have to find the 1970 version as it is missing in my stack.

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Tue May 02, 2023 12:59 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Theyre all digitized and available on the MSU Library website

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons