Montana tech endowment $31m

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Montana tech endowment $31m

Post by Montanabob » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:07 am

That probably puts them ahead of the friz this year.
https://mtstandard.com/news/local/educa ... 6b960.html

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Montana tech endowment $31m

Post by GRIZFNZ » Mon May 01, 2023 5:25 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:07 am
As of 2020 UM endowment was $207 million.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon May 01, 2023 6:12 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:25 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:07 am
As of 2020 UM endowment was $207 million.
Darn. It looks like tech is around $100m.

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZFNZ » Tue May 02, 2023 7:56 am

Then you’ve got Harvard…a hedge fund masquerading as an institution of higher learning, sitting on over $50 Billion. During the pandemic their endowment somehow managed to increase by 33%. Must be all those Wall Street finance bros helping out their alma mater.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue May 02, 2023 10:42 am

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 7:56 am
Then you’ve got Harvard…a hedge fund masquerading as an institution of higher learning, sitting on over $50 Billion. During the pandemic their endowment somehow managed to increase by 33%. Must be all those Wall Street finance bros helping out their alma mater.
That endowment alone is spinning off $200M or so a year in interest that they can use for whatever they want (basically). That's in addition to the 5% a year of the total asset value they can spend ($250M) if they want/need to (there are more stipulations on how that money is spent). The fact that Harvard generates roughly the amount of UM's endowment just in interest every year is staggering.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue May 02, 2023 11:41 am

How much do we have? I just googled it 177.6 million

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Tue May 02, 2023 11:52 am

allcat wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 11:41 am
How much do we have? I just googled it 177.6 million
That number is 2020. The number is approaching $250 million per quote at alumni foundation this month. Don’t recall exact number…..but it was over $200 mil and 250 sticks in my mind.

Edit: I just pulled up the annual financial reports on the MSU Alumni Foundation site and the Endowment net assets as of June 30, 2022 were $231 million so it is indeed likely near $250 million now. See page 20 if you want to view….

https://www.msuaf.org/s/1584/images/edi ... s_2022.pdf

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue May 02, 2023 12:36 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 10:42 am
GRIZFNZ wrote:
That endowment alone is spinning off $200M or so a year in interest that they can use for whatever they want (basically). That's in addition to the 5% a year of the total asset value they can spend ($250M) if they want/need to (there are more stipulations on how that money is spent). The fact that Harvard generates roughly the amount of UM's endowment just in interest every year is staggering.
One of you smart CPA's look up the tax code changes that happened about that time.... I'm wondering it is was to catch the write-offs before the code changed......

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue May 02, 2023 12:49 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 12:36 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 10:42 am
GRIZFNZ wrote:
One of you smart CPA's look up the tax code changes that happened about that time.... I'm wondering it is was to catch the write-offs before the code changed......
Could be. I think I saw university endowments overall (including Harvard's) took a little bit of a dip last year. That would make sense if they went from 33% growth to a loss in just a couple years.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon May 15, 2023 8:11 pm

Why do people invent some kind of relationship between an endowment and athletics?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon May 15, 2023 10:01 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 8:11 pm
Why do people invent some kind of relationship between an endowment and athletics?
Pretty sure that proceeds from an endowment can be used for any university need - unless specified for a particular purpose.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon May 15, 2023 10:12 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 10:01 pm
Cledus wrote:
Pretty sure that proceeds from an endowment can be used for any university need - unless specified for a particular purpose.
Endowments are typically overseen by a board for trustees and established, written investment policies. I think it’s remote a board would permit the earnings to be spent on athletics if there are programs in need of funding. I encounter this routinely in my profession. Plus, using earnings for athletics would look bad in the eyes of potential donors and those who award grants.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue May 16, 2023 7:13 am

Cledus wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 10:12 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 10:01 pm
Cledus wrote:
Endowments are typically overseen by a board for trustees and established, written investment policies. I think it’s remote a board would permit the earnings to be spent on athletics if there are programs in need of funding. I encounter this routinely in my profession. Plus, using earnings for athletics would look bad in the eyes of potential donors and those who award grants.
I agree. However, the ability to utilize endowment proceeds for sports is possible.

I think endowment has been brought up in our conversations as belonging to a conference with our university peers.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue May 16, 2023 9:10 am

I would guess that most endowments' funds are restricted (donor specific area of funding). I recently served on a strategic planning committee for a foundation, and I would conservatively say 90% of the foundation was restricted.
Last edited by The Butcher on Tue May 16, 2023 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 16, 2023 9:12 am

https://www.case.org/system/files/media ... aper_0.pdf

Understanding College and University Endowments https://www.acenet.edu/Documents/Unders ... wments.pdf

https://www.marketplace.org/2023/02/17/ ... ent-money/

https://www.taftlaw.com/news-events/law ... eeded-most

Pretty straight forward what can (and can't) be done with the funds.

I've only established one foundation and the boards I served on were really something to behold! If one looks at Montana's most visible foundation, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, it's stange how a board can take control of a foundation and push the founder(s) out. Mortensen with his Pennies for Peace is pretty systemic as to what happens with many foundation founders. Casper Wyoming's Food Program has made national news recently as the present board fired the highly effective director due to personalities.

That said, I really don't think a university endowment fund is under the same IRS rules, regulations and guidelines. Most foundations are nonprofits (bowls and university athletic departments in the Power 5) whereby an endowment had better be a for profit enterprise.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue May 16, 2023 12:09 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
More like the DC and Dem/RINO Ivy League politicians helping their Wall Street and corporate bros prosper as Mom and Pop’s Korner Shop was closed due for months due to a phony pandemic as Target and Wal-Mart thrived in blue states. Mom and Pop don’t donate the big bucks to be rewarded.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue May 16, 2023 5:51 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 12:09 pm
GRIZFNZ wrote:
More like the DC and Dem/RINO Ivy League politicians helping their Wall Street and corporate bros prosper as Mom and Pop’s Korner Shop was closed due for months due to a phony pandemic as Target and Wal-Mart thrived in blue states. Mom and Pop don’t donate the big bucks to be rewarded.
:goodpost:

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: