Sophia Stiles FGCU Bombs Away!

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Sophia Stiles FGCU Bombs Away!

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:51 pm

I read this really interesting article several months ago about a D-I women’s basketball coach that only wants his players to attempt layups or three-point shots — nothing in between. The coach is Karl Smesko at Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) and I just realized that’s where Sophia Stiles transferred to. No wonder a good shooter like her chose them! They are now 33-3 after upsetting Washington St. (PAC-12 tournament winner) this afternoon on Villanova’s home court. I’m happy for Sophia. The article also made me wonder why MSU doesn’t let it’s hot shooters (KJ can get red hot) shoot and force less passes into double- and triple-teams on the inside.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/01/04/ ... aily-cover

https://406mtsports.com/college/malta- ... f338b.html

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sophia Stiles FGCU Bombs Away!

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:52 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:51 pm
I read this really interesting article several months ago about a D-I women’s basketball coach that only wants his players to attempt layups or three-point shots — nothing in between. The coach is Karl Smesko at Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) and I just realized that’s where Sophia Stiles transferred to. No wonder a good shooter like her chose them! They are now 33-3 after upsetting Washington St. (PAC-12 tournament winner) this afternoon on Villanova’s home court. I’m happy for Sophia. The article also made me wonder why MSU doesn’t let it’s hot shooters (KJ can get red hot) shoot and force less passes into double- and triple-teams on the inside.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/01/04/ ... aily-cover

https://406mtsports.com/college/malta- ... f338b.html
I was curious, so I watched some of that game. Looks like Sophia is more of role player on that team. NAU is pretty close to doing the same thing in our league, Sac State too (women's teams). It makes some sense when you think about it. You only have to hit about 30% of your three point shots to equal the same amount of points if you make 50% of your 2 point shots. So stepping back a couple of feet pays off big time. Plus, an open three pointer is easier to make than a 15-20 foot jump shot in traffic. The NBA is pretty much doing the same thing these days.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:10 am

You have to have the right players. My son’s college team tries to do it too. They were bad this year. Got beat by teams repeatedly using, you guessed it, mid range. Their problem wasn’t that they didn’t have good shooters. They had zero inside threat. So now teams could run them off the three point line knowing they won’t shoot the mid range because they aren’t allowed to.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:50 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:10 am
You have to have the right players. My son’s college team tries to do it too. They were bad this year. Got beat by teams repeatedly using, you guessed it, mid range. Their problem wasn’t that they didn’t have good shooters. They had zero inside threat. So now teams could run them off the three point line knowing they won’t shoot the mid range because they aren’t allowed to.
Is it kinda like switching from a wishbone offense to a west coast offense in football?