New Mexico State Suspends Men’s Basketball

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

New Mexico State Suspends Men’s Basketball

Post by imacat » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:05 pm

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: New Mexico State Suspends Men’s Basketball

Post by RickRund » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:18 pm

Major implosion...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:54 am

Wow! One of my very closest friends just moved to Las Cruces last year, in large part because they wanted to be back in a University town with Men’s and Women’s Basketball season passes in hand. I’ll talk to him tomorrow and get the fans’ eye view.

And if anyone believes the gun battle played no part in it, I don’t know what to say…

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:45 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:54 am
Wow! One of my very closest friends just moved to Las Cruces last year, in large part because they wanted to be back in a University town with Men’s and Women’s Basketball season passes in hand. I’ll talk to him tomorrow and get the fans’ eye view.

And if anyone believes the gun battle played no part in it, I don’t know what to say…
I think the gun battle was the tip of the iceberg of what they found.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:51 am

https://cbs4local.com/news/local/2-nmsu ... -suspended

Hazing? I think it will change to intimation, threats, and gang related activities.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:07 am

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:51 am

Hazing? I think it will change to intimation, threats, and gang related activities.
Oh interesting.....Where are you reading that?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:59 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:07 am
Montanabob wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:51 am

Oh interesting.....Where are you reading that?
You need to read almost to the end, in the quoted section... hazing.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:09 pm

With Brooke Berry’s excellent reasons for leaving UNM, and now this at NMSU, I’d think that D-I basketball might be trending down in the Silver State. Would be interesting to hear KJ Limardo’s take on her home state situation, and I’ll bet she and her family are thinking MSU was a much better choice.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:14 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:09 pm
With Brooke Berry’s excellent reasons for leaving UNM, and now this at NMSU, I’d think that D-I basketball might be trending down in the Silver State. Would be interesting to hear KJ Limardo’s take on her home state situation, and I’ll bet she and her family are thinking MSU was a much better choice.
KJ was at the booster lunch two weeks ago and that particular question on NM basketball was not asked. However, she did share how she got to MSU. She played AAU BB with Arizona Elite even though she resided in NM. It was a 5 hour drive for her family several nights each week after school to practice (her parents deserve a reward…as does any parent willing to support their kid like that!). Associate Hd Coach Sunny Smallwood actually recruited KJ to University of Arizona. Then when Coach Smallwood came to MSU, KJ came with her. Glad she came. Working on another lady from her former AAU team as potential future recruit.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:39 pm

Thanks @BobcatDel for the inside story on KJ. She seems like a great kid and she’s become a formidable obstacle as a defender. I’m happy to see her driving the ball more and being more aggressive offensively. When Tori Martell started taking the “brown thing to the round thing” was when her open three-point opportunities really picked up.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:04 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:14 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:09 pm
KJ was at the booster lunch two weeks ago and that particular question on NM basketball was not asked. However, she did share how she got to MSU. She played AAU BB with Arizona Elite even though she resided in NM. It was a 5 hour drive for her family several nights each week after school to practice (her parents deserve a reward…as does any parent willing to support their kid like that!). Associate Hd Coach Sunny Smallwood actually recruited KJ to University of Arizona. Then when Coach Smallwood came to MSU, KJ came with her. Glad she came. Working on another lady from her former AAU team as potential future recruit.
One of the most fun things for me at the Big Sky tournament was chatting with and thanking the parents of our players. They're easy to spot, they always have their kid's number on them. They are so proud and happy to talk about their kids-KJ's dad was no exception.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:08 pm

I remember hazing was a pretty big thing in my high school. Luckily I was never on the giving or receiving end of it, but everyone knew it was going on. So dumb that people still feel the need to do this type of BS.

That said, I haven't seen anything that would indicate this is gang related.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:36 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:08 pm
I remember hazing was a pretty big thing in my high school. Luckily I was never on the giving or receiving end of it, but everyone knew it was going on. So dumb that people still feel the need to do this type of BS.

Couple other sources inferring sexual assault, kidnapping or illegally detaining, and assault.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:41 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:36 pm
wbtfg wrote:

Couple other sources inferring sexual assault, kidnapping or illegally detaining, and assault.
Yeah....sounds like they held a teammate against his will, pulled down his shorts and slapped his butt against his will. Totally stupid and inappropriate, but I don't think it's a gang thing, is it?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:36 pm

wbtfg wrote:

Did you see what happened at Glacier High wrestling this season? That is way beyond what these kids did, and they still wrestled at State.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:12 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:36 pm
wbtfg wrote:

Did you see what happened at Glacier High wrestling this season? That is way beyond what these kids did, and they still wrestled at State.
I didn't see.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:40 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:41 pm
Montanabob wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Yeah....sounds like they held a teammate against his will, pulled down his shorts and slapped his butt against his will. Totally stupid and inappropriate, but I don't think it's a gang thing, is it?
Not sure about the hazing your are talking about as the one in question was a female. Rape and intimidation and kidnapping.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:46 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:40 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:41 pm
Montanabob wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Not sure about the hazing your are talking about as the one in question was a female. Rape and intimidation and kidnapping.

This is was from one of the links you posted. Was there a female too?

"The report states that on Feb. 10, the victim – a member of the NMSU men’s basketball team – went to campus police wishing to file a report regarding a possible assault, but did not want to pursue criminal charges."

"“held him down with him facing down, removed his clothing exposing his buttocks and began to ‘slap his ass.’ He also went on to state that they also touched his scrotum.”

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:51 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:36 pm
wbtfg wrote:

Not going to derail and chase this down a rabbit hole, but what you said is not accurate. Kids involved were suspended and did not wrestle. Every thing else is rumor and hearsay.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable