Griz QB Vidlak to Portal

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Griz QB Vidlak to Portal

Post by catatac » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:23 pm

So there's their #1 and #2 QBs from last year both going into the portal. Hmmmmm. Seems like Bobby either has weird luck with QBs, or he's terrible at developing them? Once in awhile he'll land a stud transfer, but that seems to be hit and miss. Can't remember the last time they've recruited a QB out of high school and he stayed with the program and ended up being a stud starter. Some of my Griz fan buddies are worried about them not having a proven QB. Others are sure they have a stud there somewhere... but nobody knows who's starting yet.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Griz QB Vidlak to Portal

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:35 am

catatac wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:23 pm
So there's their #1 and #2 QBs from last year both going into the portal. Hmmmmm. Seems like Bobby either has weird luck with QBs, or he's terrible at developing them? Once in awhile he'll land a stud transfer, but that seems to be hit and miss. Can't remember the last time they've recruited a QB out of high school and he stayed with the program and ended up being a stud starter. Some of my Griz fan buddies are worried about them not having a proven QB. Others are sure they have a stud there somewhere... but nobody knows who's starting yet.
At this point, they surely can't be confident running either baby Ah Yat or Huot out there as their starter? Neither have had any collegiate gametime snaps. I think they picked up a transfer from Fresno St. (Fife??), so maybe they need to lean hard into him. I think they bring back a pretty experienced o-line, which will help if one of the younger guys gets the nod at QB.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:04 am

Ah Yat will probably be the starter. and that may be why the 2 hit the portal.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

It's a little surprising it took Vidlak this long to enter the portal. He had to know Bobbi was never going to play him again as long as Ah Yat is on the team. I'm guessing they're all in on their legacy QB and will grab a backup this summer.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:12 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am
It's a little surprising it took Vidlak this long to enter the portal. He had to know Bobbi was never going to play him again as long as Ah Yat is on the team. I'm guessing they're all in on their legacy QB and will grab a backup this summer.
Didn't they already grab the backup in the Fresno state transfer?

Sports is not bigger than life

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:25 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:12 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am
Didn't they already grab the backup in the Fresno state transfer?
That sounds familiar so you're probably right. I try not to follow them, just pick things up here and there (mostly via Colter) so I don't know how set they are at QB.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:04 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:35 am
catatac wrote:
At this point, they surely can't be confident running either baby Ah Yat or Huot out there as their starter? Neither have had any collegiate gametime snaps. I think they picked up a transfer from Fresno St. (Fife??), so maybe they need to lean hard into him. I think they bring back a pretty experienced o-line, which will help if one of the younger guys gets the nod at QB.
Ya, I'm sure Fife is "The Real Deal", just like Vidlak was heading into last season. I remember he was going to absolutely shred the Big Sky. One of the Griz QBs might light the works on fire, or they might all fizzle and end up with several NAU type games next year... who knows. As for the OL, I think they lost 2 or 3 of their best O Linemen?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri May 03, 2024 7:23 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:04 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:35 am
catatac wrote:
Ya, I'm sure Fife is "The Real Deal", just like Vidlak was heading into last season. I remember he was going to absolutely shred the Big Sky. One of the Griz QBs might light the works on fire, or they might all fizzle and end up with several NAU type games next year... who knows. As for the OL, I think they lost 2 or 3 of their best O Linemen?
Mayginnes and Forbes (C) both graduated. Mayginnes was first team all-BSC as a junior. Injuries hindered him his senior year. Forbes was a Walter Camp all-America among other honors last year. They have four starting OL back from the title game.

UM is a bit of an enigma. They averaged over 450 ypg over last four regular season games (UNC, SAC, @PSU, MSU) then didn’t get over 389 yards (avg’d about 325) in any playoff games. Rode a wave on offense after Idaho win but came back to earth during the playoffs. The playoff teams were collectively better but I don’t think that explains it completely.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber