2024 Offense. No new quarterbacks.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2024 Offense. No new quarterbacks.

Post by Cataholic » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:48 pm

lutecat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:08 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:43 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:22 am
Finally got to listen to Coach Vigen’s press conference on the signing class. His comments in the presser on recruiting Qbs really raised my interest in the QB situation and the offense for next year. “One position that we didn’t recruit this year was quarterback, that was pretty intentional from the start with our depth especially our young depth that we do feel really good about.” This makes me really excited because if he thinks they’re good I’m guessing they’re pretty good. So what does that portend for next year?

First Tommy will be QB1 in a one quarterback offense. I think this is good. I loved Chambers and in the Cat/gris game prediction thread I even suggested he start. I just believe that our offense will flow better with one QB1. Tommy does everything well except pound it up the middle and Davis and the other Rbs should be able to handle that and I would actually prefer that. If we need a tush push now and then Tommy can handle that easily. Tommy’s passing game has developed very well. Could it be one of the best in the conference? Add to that his running game and I think he’s odds on favorite to be conference MVP.

What could hurt us at QB? Obviously injuries. As many have pointed out Tommy has been injured and missed playing time every season so far. I don’t remember all his injuries but I know the first one, against NDSU, was on a passing play, the one against SDSU he wasn’t playing QB and didn’t even have the ball, and the last one against NDSU he was the primary ball carrier on a rushing play. So injuries happen in many ways. I think he can get better at getting down or out of bounds on running plays but I think in some sense you just have to be lucky and so far he hasn’t been.

Our running back group is strong! IMO we have 3 backs that would start at most schools in the conference, Davis, White, and Humphrey maybe 4 with Elliot. Hope the injury bug doesn’t bite us there again.

Our O line lost some guys but from what Vim says he thinks they will be fine, enough said.

Receiving core, should be good with the returners as there are some potential stars there, as long as they can block.

Huge loss with the Tight Ends so that is a wait and see. I see this as the biggest potential drop off from the 2023 season.
What?? Pretty sure I said exactly what Vigen said about not getting another QB and multiple experts here said I was crazy.
you thought they were calling you crazy because of what you said on that one post? Body of work man. Body of work.
😆 🤣 😂 😹
Seems like an unnecessary post. Kind of douchey, but hey, you do you.

Some were saying we needed to prioritize recruiting a QB. Many “experts” on BN were actually evaluating QB guys they have never seen play. My comment was simple, “maybe the coaches like what we have”.

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:56 pm

I agree that having 1 QB makes sense. Loved the Tommy- Sean combo when it worked, but often it seemed to affect the rhythm of the game negatively. When Tommy was hurt, Sean came in and ran the offense very effectively. In 2021 Tommy controlled the offense through the playoffs like a champ. I'm guessing for the supporting players on the offense, consistency with one playcaller would be helpful and easier than always switching things up. I do, like others, worry about Tommy being injury prone, but if we actually use the stable of running backs we have, perhaps Tommy can make it through a season injury free. Sure did think his passing improved a ton too.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:59 pm

For anyone criticizing the 2QB system with Tommy and Sean, I agree there were times when it didn't seem like the perfect, most effective plan but all I cay say is that whatever the coaches decide to do, I will be impressed if the overall offensive production is as good in 2024, as is was in 2023.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:45 pm

If Tommy can stay healthy all season I bet he wins the Payton award next year….. unfortunately him staying healthy all season has proven to be a very unlikely.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:03 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:48 pm
lutecat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Finally got to listen to Coach Vigen’s press conference on the signing class. His comments in the presser on recruiting Qbs really raised my interest in the QB situation and the offense for next year. “One position that we didn’t recruit this year was quarterback, that was pretty intentional from the start with our depth especially our young depth that we do feel really good about.” This makes me really excited because if he thinks they’re good I’m guessing they’re pretty good. So what does that portend for next year?

First Tommy will be QB1 in a one quarterback offense. I think this is good. I loved Chambers and in the Cat/gris game prediction thread I even suggested he start. I just believe that our offense will flow better with one QB1. Tommy does everything well except pound it up the middle and Davis and the other Rbs should be able to handle that and I would actually prefer that. If we need a tush push now and then Tommy can handle that easily. Tommy’s passing game has developed very well. Could it be one of the best in the conference? Add to that his running game and I think he’s odds on favorite to be conference MVP.

What could hurt us at QB? Obviously injuries. As many have pointed out Tommy has been injured and missed playing time every season so far. I don’t remember all his injuries but I know the first one, against NDSU, was on a passing play, the one against SDSU he wasn’t playing QB and didn’t even have the ball, and the last one against NDSU he was the primary ball carrier on a rushing play. So injuries happen in many ways. I think he can get better at getting down or out of bounds on running plays but I think in some sense you just have to be lucky and so far he hasn’t been.

Our running back group is strong! IMO we have 3 backs that would start at most schools in the conference, Davis, White, and Humphrey maybe 4 with Elliot. Hope the injury bug doesn’t bite us there again.

Our O line lost some guys but from what Vim says he thinks they will be fine, enough said.

Receiving core, should be good with the returners as there are some potential stars there, as long as they can block.

Huge loss with the Tight Ends so that is a wait and see. I see this as the biggest potential drop off from the 2023 season.
What?? Pretty sure I said exactly what Vigen said about not getting another QB and multiple experts here said I was crazy.
you thought they were calling you crazy because of what you said on that one post? Body of work man. Body of work.
😆 🤣 😂 😹

Some were saying we needed to prioritize recruiting a QB. Many “experts” on BN were actually evaluating QB guys they have never seen play. My comment was simple, “maybe the coaches like what we have”.
Got any links to where this was said?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:36 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:45 pm
If Tommy can stay healthy all season I bet he wins the Payton award next year….. unfortunately him staying healthy all season has proven to be a very unlikely.
Agreed. Ceiling is Payton if healthy, floor is 2nd team BSC if injured.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:39 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:30 pm
I guess Spring ball will be more interesting this year. We shall see if Wilson can make the leap over Reed or not. I only saw Wilson in the Spring game last season, so I'm not sure of his skill set yet. I really wish the Cats could have got Wilson some game reps this past season. Reed will be a 3rd year sophomore and Wilson a 2nd year freshman. Looks like fun.
Tommy needs more "live" action to continue developing as a passer but it would be great if spring ball was just a Reed/Wilson/Abshire competition.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:00 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:03 pm
Cataholic wrote:
lutecat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

😆 🤣 😂 😹

https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 12#p847012

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:16 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:50 am
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

They did offer at least one quarterback but he went somewhere else.
So Vigen’s not telling the truth about not recruiting QBs?

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:29 pm

My guess is that Coach Vigen knows what he’s got and how to develop it! And if he’s happy, I’m happy! History being what it is throughout his career!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:49 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:00 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
lutecat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

😆 🤣 😂 😹

I don’t see anybody calling you crazy, and I don’t see anybody saying it needed to be a priority. I see people giving the opinion that they would try to bring in one QB a year, but it seemed like a normal discussion to me. Heck, MSU offered a HS QB this year (committed to Marshall) so it’s not like MSU ignored the position, it just appears as if they were rather selective.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:50 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:16 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

Probably was just very selective about their QB offers this year.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:59 am

Cataholic wrote:
lutecat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

😆 🤣 😂 😹

Emojis man....emojis. They imply a joke. I was funning ya.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:11 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:50 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Probably was just very selective about their QB offers this year.

Give an offer. Gauge interest. If there is interest start the recruiting process.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:33 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

I’m saying they offered a scholly to at least one QB.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:39 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:49 am
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
lutecat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

😆 🤣 😂 😹

I don’t see anybody calling you crazy, and I don’t see anybody saying it needed to be a priority. I see people giving the opinion that they would try to bring in one QB a year, but it seemed like a normal discussion to me. Heck, MSU offered a HS QB this year (committed to Marshall) so it’s not like MSU ignored the position, it just appears as if they were rather selective.
Okay. I can buy that. But let’s get this on the record. I was right, and you were wrong. :wink:

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:56 am

If Tommy and Housewright can realize that a great RB room getting started and controlling a game, the QB run game can then be a game changer. If they don’t figure it out, maybe Jordan Reed can find out.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:53 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:39 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:49 am
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
lutecat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

😆 🤣 😂 😹

Okay. I can buy that. But let’s get this on the record. I was right, and you were wrong. :wink:
:)

Merry Christmas

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:44 pm

Watching some of these bowl games and how most QB's, even good running QBs, slide or run out of bounds before taking big hits makes me wonder if Tommy can learn to do that. I know he's super smart so I'm sure he can but should he learn to do that? It seems to me that he should if he wants to increase his odds to last the season but can you fundamentally change the way he plays and have him be as effective? I have more questions than answers but would love to see him be able to play his senior season without serious injury.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:54 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:44 pm
Watching some of these bowl games and how most QB's, even good running QBs, slide or run out of bounds before taking big hits makes me wonder if Tommy can learn to do that. I know he's super smart so I'm sure he can but should he learn to do that? It seems to me that he should if he wants to increase his odds to last the season but can you fundamentally change the way he plays and have him be as effective? I have more questions than answers but would love to see him be able to play his senior season without serious injury.
He tried to slide two years ago in Cheney and got creamed for it.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz