Worst griz team since……?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Worst griz team since……?

Post by Grizfan7 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:26 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:02 am
Grizfan7 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:09 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:48 pm
The brutal a$$ kickings the Cats gave the Griz the last two games in Bozeman, are light years different than the one win UM got in Missoula. Yes the Griz win was, I guess you cold say, a bit one sided, but those other two games were absolute massacres, blood lettings. No comparison. Fact.
Okay, even if what you said is true, the next game is in Missoula. UM has a new DC and will have a better gameplay for the game. UM is setting attendance records this season, and the crowd is back to being its old loud self. The Griz seem to be improving each week and perhaps getting on a roll. Cats have played only 1 good team, and gotten beat. A good or better comparison may be how each of the teams plays SS.
So tell me what do you think they are going to do so differently to game plan this years Cat team. It not really the same offense as last year. Are they going to gameplan the offense we used against SDSU, the one we used against WSU, maybe the the pass heavy almost air raid style we used against Cal Poly, I think come 11/18 there will be a couple more variations for them to look at. With as many looks, formations and styles that the Cats use, your new DC will need a month to prep the team for his updated game plan.

I'm betting he will just stick with a similar attack he use against UI, base 3-3-5, heavy pressure with 4, dropping 1 as a spy and the last LB into center zone if he doesn't blitz. I think Housewrite has a pretty good book on hos to attack that plan. Stretch your LB's horizontally and use our speed to wear them out, Unless you have a whole bunch of depth that you have not shown so far, its gonna be another blood bath. um just doesn't have the depth to make the adjustments that you think they will make.

The thing is the 3-3-5 is designed to counter the spread passing teams, it isn't very effective against solid running team, it has weaknesses against both zone and power schemes. Throw in the RPO and its another bloodbath for you.

PS. I hope he sets his outside LB's wider to counter our edge speed, we are getting pretty good at inside power.
UM will have a different game plan. I don't know what it will be, nor would I be able to do a game plan. That's what the DC and coaches do, and will do.

UM D will have to be more disciplined, will have better keys, will have to have better eyes, will need to avoid taking half steps in the wrong direction at the start of plays and going for fakes., etc. In 2022, the UM D, and various players, made a huge number of mistakes. The mistakes started on the first play when a very good linebacker stepped briefly inside, and the play went outside. And this was often the case. Hauck said the Griz D didn't have the right game plan and scheme, and it would be different this year. I see that MSU got 52 yards rushing for 1.5 per carry against SDSU today. That doesn't seem indicate that the Cat running game can't be stopped.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:08 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:18 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:26 am
Grizfan7 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:39 am
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:09 am
Grizfan7 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:52 pm
Yes not on the same level, ha. Griz have been playing better and beaten 2 ranked teams in a row on the road. Cats haven't beaten a team with a winning record (I don't see this as a big deal, but people liked to throw that at the Griz last season). Griz just shut down the top ranked runner in the conference, holding him to 41 yards, and currently leads the conference in stopping the run. If Griz can't defend against MSU much better this year than last, then the Cats will run over the Griz again. But new DC for Griz who will presumably use a different scheme. Much of the D knows the mistakes they made last year and how good the Cat running game is. And, note that the Griz clobbered the no. 3 ranked Cats the prior year.
So last year they didn't know the Cats had a good running game, but now they do, and now that they know about it, they'll be able to stop it.
Got it.

There's always new griz fans crawling out of the woodwork after they win a big game. Where were you after the NAU game?
Griz have new D coordinator. Old one retired. Will have a different scheme this year. The Cats and Vigen didn't know what to do with the UM 3-3-5 and 2021, and then changed things for 2022 and played like UM didn't even have a defense. In 2021, the Cats had 84 yards on their last drive in the last 5 minutes to get the score to 29-10. So, until then, the Cats had had 118 yards of total offense. Again, the Cats had been ranked no. 3 at the time in 2021 and went on to the national championship game; and obviously had a very good team.
Are you unaware that your team is still running the 3-3-5 defense?
Yes, of course. Also aware that UM was running that D in 2021 when UM clobbered the Cats. 29-10 (with Cats getting their only TD in the last few mints of the game), and gaining only 96 on the ground in 41 carries, for a 2.3 average per carry. Are you aware of those things?
Sure, I remember the game. And I don’t fault you for not knowing that MSU changed how they ran their offense after that game. You see, the offense didn’t really hit its stride until young Tommy Mellot took over as the QB. And we’re not talking some gadget plays, but the actual starting QB. Anyways, if a game with different players from a couple years ago is proof enough for you that the Griz defense can stop the Cats, then more power to you. We’ll find out soon enough.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:20 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:26 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
catatac wrote:
The brutal a$$ kickings the Cats gave the Griz the last two games in Bozeman, are light years different than the one win UM got in Missoula. Yes the Griz win was, I guess you cold say, a bit one sided, but those other two games were absolute massacres, blood lettings. No comparison. Fact.
Okay, even if what you said is true, the next game is in Missoula. UM has a new DC and will have a better gameplay for the game. UM is setting attendance records this season, and the crowd is back to being its old loud self. The Griz seem to be improving each week and perhaps getting on a roll. Cats have played only 1 good team, and gotten beat. A good or better comparison may be how each of the teams plays SS.
So tell me what do you think they are going to do so differently to game plan this years Cat team. It not really the same offense as last year. Are they going to gameplan the offense we used against SDSU, the one we used against WSU, maybe the the pass heavy almost air raid style we used against Cal Poly, I think come 11/18 there will be a couple more variations for them to look at. With as many looks, formations and styles that the Cats use, your new DC will need a month to prep the team for his updated game plan.

I'm betting he will just stick with a similar attack he use against UI, base 3-3-5, heavy pressure with 4, dropping 1 as a spy and the last LB into center zone if he doesn't blitz. I think Housewrite has a pretty good book on hos to attack that plan. Stretch your LB's horizontally and use our speed to wear them out, Unless you have a whole bunch of depth that you have not shown so far, its gonna be another blood bath. um just doesn't have the depth to make the adjustments that you think they will make.

The thing is the 3-3-5 is designed to counter the spread passing teams, it isn't very effective against solid running team, it has weaknesses against both zone and power schemes. Throw in the RPO and its another bloodbath for you.

PS. I hope he sets his outside LB's wider to counter our edge speed, we are getting pretty good at inside power.
UM will have a different game plan. I don't know what it will be, nor would I be able to do a game plan. That's what the DC and coaches do, and will do.

UM D will have to be more disciplined, will have better keys, will have to have better eyes, will need to avoid taking half steps in the wrong direction at the start of plays and going for fakes., etc. In 2022, the UM D, and various players, made a huge number of mistakes. The mistakes started on the first play when a very good linebacker stepped briefly inside, and the play went outside. And this was often the case. Hauck said the Griz D didn't have the right game plan and scheme, and it would be different this year. I see that MSU got 52 yards rushing for 1.5 per carry against SDSU today. That doesn't seem indicate that the Cat running game can't be stopped.
Jack, I know you’re getting old, but the Cats didn’t play any football today. Furthermore, the last time they played SDSU MSU ran for over 200 yards, doubling what SDSU has allowed to other teams so far.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:34 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:20 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
catatac wrote:

Jack, I know you’re getting old, but the Cats didn’t play any football today. Furthermore, the last time they played SDSU MSU ran for over 200 yards, doubling what SDSU has allowed to other teams so far.
How many rushing yards did MSU get against SDSU earlier this season?

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:40 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:34 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
catatac wrote:

211. I told you on the last post, just over 200 yards. Do try to pay attention.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:41 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:40 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
catatac wrote:

Got it. How many yards did MSU get against SDSU last season?

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:47 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:41 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
catatac wrote:

What’s the relevance? That the best team in the FCS stopped MSU’s run game a year ago? Because if you really want to go based on how things went a year ago…that’s a unique choice for a Griz fan.

I’ll admit it’s fully possible the Griz could stop MSU’s run game. It might have to be a blizzard, or perhaps the game stopping after the first quarter, but I suppose it’s feasible the Griz hold MSU under 200 yards.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:52 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:47 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
catatac wrote:

it
What’s the relevance? That the best team in the FCS stopped MSU’s run game a year ago? Because if you really want to go based on how things went a year ago…that’s a unique choice for a Griz fan.

I’ll admit it’s fully possible the Griz could stop MSU’s run game. It might have to be a blizzard, or perhaps the game stopping after the first quarter, but I suppose it’s feasible the Griz hold MSU under 200 yards.
The relevance is that MSU's all-world running game can be stopped. Why is it so hard for you to provide the stat?

Actually, the Griz are going to beat the Cats this season, assuming UM doesn't lose it's starting qb again this year. I'm trying to help prepare my Cat friends, so they don't start jumping off ledges next month.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:56 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:52 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
catatac wrote:

it

The relevance is that MSU's all-world running game can be stopped. Why is it so hard for you to provide the stat?

Actually, the Griz are going to beat the Cats this season, assuming UM doesn't lose it's starting qb again this year. I'm trying to help prepare my Cat friends, so they don't start jumping off ledges next month.
You want me to provide a stat that you already gave? I don’t care for redundancy, you already knew the rushing yards, don’t know why I need to repeat it for you. Although you did think that game was this year, so maybe you just forgot. That happens with age, I’ve heard.

I know you’re just having fun here Jack, but should you care to put some money on which team wins, I’m more than willing. Cats win, you donate to MSU’s athletic fund. Griz win, I donate to UM’s athletic fund. What do ya say, friend?

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:59 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:56 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:

it

You want me to provide a stat that you already gave? I don’t care for redundancy, you already knew the rushing yards, don’t know why I need to repeat it for you. Although you did think that game was this year, so maybe you just forgot. That happens with age, I’ve heard.

I know you’re just having fun here Jack, but should you care to put some money on which team wins, I’m more than willing. Cats win, you donate to MSU’s athletic fund. Griz win, I donate to UM’s athletic fund. What do ya say, friend?
Happy to bet cash on the spread. I don't ever do silly donation bets. Never have; never will.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:02 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
catatac wrote:

bobby said he has a game plan huh, its gonna be fun to see what he comes up with.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:03 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:59 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

it

Happy to bet cash on the spread. I don't ever do silly donation bets. Never have; never will.
Seeing as how you’re so confident UM wins, I’m surprised you only want to bet based on the spread. That’s very disappointing, PR. Maybe you’re not so confident. That’s a shame.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:28 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:03 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:

it

Seeing as how you’re so confident UM wins, I’m surprised you only want to bet based on the spread. That’s very disappointing, PR. Maybe you’re not so confident. That’s a shame.
Was I confident the Griz would win? I thought I just said it.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:03 pm

I think everyone can agree the Cats are a significantly better team this year than last (based on how they stacked up against SDSU this year in Brookings). Jury is still out on whether the Griz are even as good as last year, let alone better. That doesn't look good for the Griz faithful because the Griz didn't look like they belonged on the same field as the Cats last year. The mismatch could get super ugly, again.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:37 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:03 pm
I think everyone can agree the Cats are a significantly better team this year than last (based on how they stacked up against SDSU this year in Brookings). Jury is still out on whether the Griz are even as good as last year, let alone better. That doesn't look good for the Griz faithful because the Griz didn't look like they belonged on the same field as the Cats last year. The mismatch could get super ugly, again.
I can't agree with that. It does me no good to see Cat posters just declaring things like that. Where's the proof? Where's the analysis? Yes, Cats played fairly even against SDSU, but the Cats haven't played any other team that was any good. Now, the tougher part of your schedule is coming up. Yes, the Griz didn't play like they belonged on the same field last year. The Cats got clobbered the year before. Every year and every game is different. That is a nice thing about sport. Adios.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:56 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:37 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:03 pm
I can't agree with that. It does me no good to see Cat posters just declaring things like that. Where's the proof? Where's the analysis? Yes, Cats played fairly even against SDSU, but the Cats haven't played any other team that was any good. Now, the tougher part of your schedule is coming up. Yes, the Griz didn't play like they belonged on the same field last year. The Cats got clobbered the year before. Every year and every game is different. That is a nice thing about sport. Adios.
If Davis is good, then Weber is good. Davis could soon be unranked with them. MSU played Weber when it still had its best offensive threat. There’s one point separating Weber and davis. Portland State might be the second best team in the BSC. Their three BSC games are all good showings as is their game vs Wyoming. Their win over NAU, who was looking good is good. They beat CP as bad as MSU did and by more than idaho or Davis did. Psu is better than nau and definitely looks better than davis and Weber and ewu. That leaves UM, SAC and Idaho. They were 35 points better vs nau than UM was so that leaves SAC and Idaho. Psu and Idaho both played Poly and PSU beat them worse both scoring-wise and statistically. SAC only beat Nau by 1, psu beat them by 21. So that’s a good argument for PSU being the #2 team in the BSC. MSU beat Psu and had a significant statistical edge despite psu getting eight points and 92 yards in garbage time.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by griz5700 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:22 am

Whenever I watch the Cats I say to myself, "fuhhhhhhhck, they got some dudes."

With that said, pretty impressive turnaround from this Griz team. Very reminiscent of some of the Hauck teams from his first stop.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:35 am

griz5700 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:22 am

With that said, pretty impressive turnaround from this Griz team. Very reminiscent of some of the Hauck teams from his first stop.
It really has been impressive. 3 weeks ago the griz looked like straight trash and even griz fans were saying that. To go from a terrible loss at NAU to beating the #3 team on the road is an incredible turnaround.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:02 am

griz5700 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:22 am

It really is an impressive turnaround. I didn’t think y’all had it in you. The Idaho win was flat impressive.

Football is better when both teams are good. Unfortunately, I think that’s going to be hard for you to do with Bobby. He’ll have solid teams, but nothing great.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:04 am

Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:28 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:03 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

it

Was I confident the Griz would win? I thought I just said it.
Yeah, you’re so confident they’ll win that you’ll only bet the spread instead of just win/loss.