2019 Polls

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2019 Polls

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:27 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:10 am
I'd say our only disadvantage is winter weather. You definitely hear the TX and CA guys mention how cold it is here. Otherwise I'd think we're in the top third in any other recruiting metric.
Fargo has that same disadvantage. If we built an indoor practice facility, I think MSU becomes one of the top 10 FCS destinations in the US.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:06 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:27 am
coloradocat wrote:
I'd say our only disadvantage is winter weather. You definitely hear the TX and CA guys mention how cold it is here. Otherwise I'd think we're in the top third in any other recruiting metric.
Fargo has that same disadvantage. If we built an indoor practice facility, I think MSU becomes one of the top 10 FCS destinations in the US.
Well this week I hope they are training in the steam plant getting used to the 105 degree weather for TT.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:58 am

AFCA - Coaches Poll: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... ssion=true

Cats ranked at 15.
Griz just outside of Top 25 at number 26.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:41 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:06 am
Cataholic wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
Well this week I hope they are training in the steam plant getting used to the 105 degree weather for TT.
Current forecast for game day. 87 with a 30% chance of rain. That should be tolerable.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:58 am
AFCA - Coaches Poll: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... ssion=true

Cats ranked at 15.
Griz just outside of Top 25 at number 26.
What do coaches know about football. The griz are clearly a top ten team now that bobby's here. :-^

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

tdub

Post by tdub » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Not an official poll, but this article shows MSU as tied for 10th in start of season betting odds to win the FCS title at 28/1.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... title/amp/

EWU 11/2
UCDavis 13/2
Weber 16/1
MSU 28/1
UM 50/1

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:23 pm

I thought the conference picks were a bit interesting, notably #4 and #5...

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... conference

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:05 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:23 pm
I thought the conference picks were a bit interesting, notably #4 and #5...

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... conference
I noticed that too and it is pretty interesting especially since they have us ranked higher at 15 and the griz about 26.! We don't know where the College Sports Madness (CSM) poll will have 1 through 3 for the conference, but 4 and 5 are identical to the Coach's poll, so they aren't alone in that assessment, but just a little more weird.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:54 pm

coloradocat wrote:
And the distance from home.

And the lack of racial diversity.

And that for an out of state recruit, Mom is never gonna get to watch you play.

Don’t get me wrong, MSU is a good school (if that is important), and Bozeman is a good place to be in college, and the level of fan support is top notch.

I just think those things are the minimum you need to recruit out of state athletes give how remote we are, along with the culture shock.

If you are a kid from Seattle, say, EWU can offer you a partial and be on the same footing as a full ride from MSU or UM.

We aren’t at a disadvantage to most Big Sky schools, but if you take off your Blue & Gild glasses, we aren’t at a clear advantage either (at least compared to EWU, Davis, and even Weber or SLO)

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:53 am

onceacat wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:54 pm
coloradocat wrote:
And the distance from home.

And the lack of racial diversity.

Don’t get me wrong, MSU is a good school (if that is important), and Bozeman is a good place to be in college, and the level of fan support is top notch.

I just think those things are the minimum you need to recruit out of state athletes give how remote we are, along with the culture shock.

If you are a kid from Seattle, say, EWU can offer you a partial and be on the same footing as a full ride from MSU or UM.

We aren’t at a disadvantage to most Big Sky schools, but if you take off your Blue & Gild glasses, we aren’t at a clear advantage either (at least compared to EWU, Davis, and even Weber or SLO)
These are cities that have nonstop flights to Bozeman. LAX used to and might still. This list is a little dated. Players often comment about being awestruck when they step off the plane for recruiting visits. High school coaches from Texas have mentioned this as well. Bozeman has a great reputation as destination location, so players and their families google it and are impressed. Many parents want their kids in school here just so they have another excuse to go to Bozeman to fly fish, ski, hunt, etc.
Bozeman might not be diverse, but people like to diversify themselves and Bozeman is a great place to do that. The school president is from Puerto Rico, I believe.
CHICAGO

Daily, United
Daily, American
DALLAS

Daily, American
DENVER

Daily, United
Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, Frontier
LAS VEGAS

Thursday and Sunday, Allegiant
MINNEAPOLIS

Daily, Delta
PHOENIX/MESA

Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Allegiant
PORTLAND

Daily, Alaska
SALT LAKE CITY

Daily, Delta
SEATTLE

Daily, Alaska

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:22 am

Cataholic wrote:

This is 100% correct.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:26 am

I believe that NDSU provides Full Cost of Education to their athletes. After the indoor practice facility, FCOE has to be the next step in keeping up in the recruiting wars.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:11 am

onceacat wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:54 pm

:-k

Do we have some weird new border patrol or something I'm not aware of where people from other states can't come here? And if we do, don't we still travel out of state every year? To places like California and Texas?

I'm confused why if I came here from California my mom would never get to watch me play. I agree that if this is the case it dramatically hurts recruiting.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:01 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:26 am
I believe that NDSU provides Full Cost of Education to their athletes. After the indoor practice facility, FCOE has to be the next step in keeping up in the recruiting wars.
Yes Ndsu provides full cost of attendance, along with sdsu and probably some others in the Missouri Valley conference. I'm not aware of anyone in the Big Sky who does this yet.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:55 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:01 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Yes Ndsu provides full cost of attendance, along with sdsu and probably some others in the Missouri Valley conference. I'm not aware of anyone in the Big Sky who does this yet.
No one in the Big Sky, yet. I believe the Board of Regemts squashed the idea right away when it was first discussed in Montana. Ndsu was one of the first FCS schools to do it (all private funded from donors) and UND had to do it right away to keep up. I do believe there are others in the MVFC and FCS who all provide it now.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:22 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:55 pm
91catAlum wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
No one in the Big Sky, yet. I believe the Board of Regemts squashed the idea right away when it was first discussed in Montana. Ndsu was one of the first FCS schools to do it (all private funded from donors) and UND had to do it right away to keep up. I do believe there are others in the MVFC and FCS who all provide it now.
For schools that do this, it has to be pretty costly. Are most of them funding it privately? Would some use gate receipts and general funds?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:15 pm

RickRund wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:22 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
For schools that do this, it has to be pretty costly. Are most of them funding it privately? Would some use gate receipts and general funds?
It is my understanding it is all privately funded at this point. When Ndsu went forward with it they got it funded quickly from their Teamsters group is my understanding. I read the avg investment is 500k to 1.5 million for each athletic dept trying to do if based on number of athletes, programs, etc. usually each kid gets anywhere from 4-6k per year above and beyond their scholarship

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:16 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:15 pm
RickRund wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:22 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
It is my understanding it is all privately funded at this point. When Ndsu went forward with it they got it funded quickly from their Teamsters group is my understanding. I read the avg investment is 500k to 1.5 million for each athletic dept trying to do if based on number of athletes, programs, etc. usually each kid gets anywhere from 4-6k per year above and beyond their scholarship
The first year NDSU did this, they paid $3,400 per athlete.

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/coll ... e02f9.html

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:31 pm

Pretty interesting read on cost of attendance stipends:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f ... explained/

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:44 pm