Fall camp 2019

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fall camp 2019

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:53 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:51 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:27 pm
Btw...roster has been updated with new height/weight numbers. Noticeable growth in our young LBs and TEs. Troy, Jobman, Kanow, O'Reilly, Askelson, Gilman, Hardy all with good jumps in weight. For TE's, Davis up to 250, Hadley up to 230, and Pickering up to 240.

https://msubobcats.com/roster.aspx?path=football
Thanks for the heads up Vim.

Incidentally, there was a player who wore 57 at the scrimmage, on D line. Only 57 on the roster is Caleb Mancini 6’2” 170lb P/K. This was not him.

I asked someone after and they said it was Bohannon. Definitely not him either, another slender kid (receiver I think).

I thought an updated roster would reflect who this was (it doesn’t).

Anybody know?
Tyson Regimbal is now #57. Greg had it covered on Saturday.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:55 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:53 pm
DriscollCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Btw...roster has been updated with new height/weight numbers. Noticeable growth in our young LBs and TEs. Troy, Jobman, Kanow, O'Reilly, Askelson, Gilman, Hardy all with good jumps in weight. For TE's, Davis up to 250, Hadley up to 230, and Pickering up to 240.

Incidentally, there was a player who wore 57 at the scrimmage, on D line. Only 57 on the roster is Caleb Mancini 6’2” 170lb P/K. This was not him.

I asked someone after and they said it was Bohannon. Definitely not him either, another slender kid (receiver I think).

Anybody know?

Thanks Vim! Any idea why he’s not on the roster?

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:56 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:26 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:15 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:32 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:13 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:14 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:56 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:28 am
superbobcat wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:50 am
For those of you who have had the chance to watch camp, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how Bauman is setting in at QB and the large amount of depth at MLB. Seven guys for two spots must bring in a lot of competitive energy. Now the young but STRONG freshman is switching to RB. Which also leads me to ask if we have another TA situation where we see him move back to MLB after a few graduates move on?
I'd love to hear peoples opinions as well. I was able to attend the first four practices and haven't made it to one since. #-o
The Monday practice right after Bauman was announced as a starter, there was a noticeable difference in him getting more reps. I have seen him definitely become more assertive at each practice. I notice the 1st team offense players going to him and talking talking with him on the sidelines when they are not in. As far as his play, he is improving each day. Looks more relaxed and confident. . Early on you could see him going to one receiver. Now he seems to be going thru the progressions. He still has work to do but is coming along very quickly. I thought he looked much better in this scrimmage than the first. Will be interesting to see how he handles the intense pressure he is going to get at Texas Tech. I think we will have a good read on him after that game. Just my opinion.

As far as MLB, it seems every day in practice different individuals make great plays. It is confusing to judge as they shuffle them in and out on 11 on 11s. Like Choate said, it is going to be a tough decision to come up with a depth chart. Yes, the competitive energy is intense. It seems to raise the level of them all.

Too early to tell on where Jahari Martin will end up. He is going to open some eyes at RB for sure. He has quick feet and is fast for a guy his size. Wherever he ends up, he will be a force. Great problem to have.
That’s interesting. In listening to Colter during the football hour yesterday he said Bauman didn’t look good and appeared nervous. The stats didn’t really jump of the page either. He thinks the Cats should use 4-5 different QBs during each game, get out to an early lead and then just hold on with your defense and Ifanse.
Bauman didn't look nervous at all. Not on the sideline nor on the field. That's no guarantee that he's going to be some stud, but he had a good scrimmage.
One completion he had to Kassis for a long gain was a fluttered, floating ball that wasn't thrown well. Kassis made an unreal grab. I don't remember the other completion. Maybe nervous was the wrong word...he was confident with his command of the line of scrimmage. But he seemed to be trying to finesse his deep throws and he wasn't throwing with zip, which has always been his trademark.

Here's yesterday's Montana Football Hour:
I think that's an accurate take on the Kassis catch.

But you have to counter that bad ball completion with the good ball that Jonsen dropped in the end zone (at least from my view) and the nicely placed screen he threw over the defender that Jones dropped. That pass to Jonsen was from 45 yards out and the opposite hash.

The only uncatchable ball I remember was the overthrow to Jonsen. Down the seam (or sideline?). It was a laser that was well beyond Jonsen.

Thanks for the link. I always enjoy your content.
Couple things - we often say, relieved, that a pass was good but was dropped. I have heard Coach Choate do this too. The problem is that the ultimate goal isn’t a qb who hits his target regardless of whether it’s a completion. We have to have a passing game that is a real threat, a few incompletions are acceptable, but a dropped pass really isn’t any better for our team than an errant throw.

My second thing is regarding uncatchable balls. The interception Casey threw may have been on a free play, but it wasn’t as though he launched it 50 yards downfield. He took a chance into tight coverage and slightly underthrew it. That was enough to make the ball not so much a 50/50 Kassis lost, but an interception on Casey.

All that being said, I am VERY optimistic about this season!

Go Cats!
A little push back on your first comment about relief that a pass was a drop instead of a bad throw....Agreed that drops aren’t good and provide us with no production come game time but when evaluating a QB it’s necessary context when looking at performance. A drop is a relief to me if you say that CB went 2-8 but there were 6 drops. That tells me he’s capable of doing his job but our problem is on the other end.

Most of these comments have been centered around QB performance and there is a difference between an errant pass and a drop.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:00 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:55 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Anybody know?

He is...but the roster just hasn't flipped the numbers/players yet. Mancini is still listed at 57 and Regimbal is still listed at 49.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:11 pm

Ifanse up to 202.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:11 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
Couple things - we often say, relieved, that a pass was good but was dropped. I have heard Coach Choate do this too. The problem is that the ultimate goal isn’t a qb who hits his target regardless of whether it’s a completion. We have to have a passing game that is a real threat, a few incompletions are acceptable, but a dropped pass really isn’t any better for our team than an errant throw.

My second thing is regarding uncatchable balls. The interception Casey threw may have been on a free play, but it wasn’t as though he launched it 50 yards downfield. He took a chance into tight coverage and slightly underthrew it. That was enough to make the ball not so much a 50/50 Kassis lost, but an interception on Casey.

Go Cats!
Sure-- it's not like we should be excited about a drop. But if we are trying to assess Bauman as an individual (as opposed to the passing game, generally), then it's important to note drops vs. errant passes.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:18 pm

utucats wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:56 pm
DriscollCat wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:15 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:32 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:13 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:14 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:56 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:28 am
superbobcat wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:50 am
For those of you who have had the chance to watch camp, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how Bauman is setting in at QB and the large amount of depth at MLB. Seven guys for two spots must bring in a lot of competitive energy. Now the young but STRONG freshman is switching to RB. Which also leads me to ask if we have another TA situation where we see him move back to MLB after a few graduates move on?
I'd love to hear peoples opinions as well. I was able to attend the first four practices and haven't made it to one since. #-o
The Monday practice right after Bauman was announced as a starter, there was a noticeable difference in him getting more reps. I have seen him definitely become more assertive at each practice. I notice the 1st team offense players going to him and talking talking with him on the sidelines when they are not in. As far as his play, he is improving each day. Looks more relaxed and confident. . Early on you could see him going to one receiver. Now he seems to be going thru the progressions. He still has work to do but is coming along very quickly. I thought he looked much better in this scrimmage than the first. Will be interesting to see how he handles the intense pressure he is going to get at Texas Tech. I think we will have a good read on him after that game. Just my opinion.

As far as MLB, it seems every day in practice different individuals make great plays. It is confusing to judge as they shuffle them in and out on 11 on 11s. Like Choate said, it is going to be a tough decision to come up with a depth chart. Yes, the competitive energy is intense. It seems to raise the level of them all.

Too early to tell on where Jahari Martin will end up. He is going to open some eyes at RB for sure. He has quick feet and is fast for a guy his size. Wherever he ends up, he will be a force. Great problem to have.
That’s interesting. In listening to Colter during the football hour yesterday he said Bauman didn’t look good and appeared nervous. The stats didn’t really jump of the page either. He thinks the Cats should use 4-5 different QBs during each game, get out to an early lead and then just hold on with your defense and Ifanse.
Bauman didn't look nervous at all. Not on the sideline nor on the field. That's no guarantee that he's going to be some stud, but he had a good scrimmage.
One completion he had to Kassis for a long gain was a fluttered, floating ball that wasn't thrown well. Kassis made an unreal grab. I don't remember the other completion. Maybe nervous was the wrong word...he was confident with his command of the line of scrimmage. But he seemed to be trying to finesse his deep throws and he wasn't throwing with zip, which has always been his trademark.

Here's yesterday's Montana Football Hour:
I think that's an accurate take on the Kassis catch.

But you have to counter that bad ball completion with the good ball that Jonsen dropped in the end zone (at least from my view) and the nicely placed screen he threw over the defender that Jones dropped. That pass to Jonsen was from 45 yards out and the opposite hash.

The only uncatchable ball I remember was the overthrow to Jonsen. Down the seam (or sideline?). It was a laser that was well beyond Jonsen.

Thanks for the link. I always enjoy your content.

Go Cats!
A little push back on your first comment about relief that a pass was a drop instead of a bad throw....Agreed that drops aren’t good and provide us with no production come game time but when evaluating a QB it’s necessary context when looking at performance. A drop is a relief to me if you say that CB went 2-8 but there were 6 drops. That tells me he’s capable of doing his job but our problem is on the other end.

Most of these comments have been centered around QB performance and there is a difference between an errant pass and a drop.
I appreciate that perspective and I basically agree. It’s useful when evaluating a qb and is certainly a mitigating circumstance when looking at a stat line.

To me though, I don’t feel relieved if it is a drop, just feel like it is roughly equivalent as far as an area of concern.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:19 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:00 pm
DriscollCat wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:55 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Anybody know?

He is...but the roster just hasn't flipped the numbers/players yet. Mancini is still listed at 57 and Regimbal is still listed at 49.
Sorry, I meant why he’s not 57 on the roster.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:21 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:51 pm
Casual fan observation: I was disappointed in watching the 1st team offense running plays behind TA and TJ (think it was 2nd or 3rd series), but realized that 1) it was a vanilla scrimmage by design and 2) it’s not an either or option (CB at QB or TA / TJ) but both! I think this is ideal in brining CB along and outright punishing teams that simply can’t stop the run.

While I was a little nervous about the inevitable mistakes a young QB will have learning the position (insert most any freshman QB staring at any D1 school here with some rare exceptions) but knowing that CB is NOT on a short chain to be replaced and having the powerful run game and options to support and compliment him as he grows - I think the Cats will be just fine scoring points this year.

By the way: I recall that the pass to Kasis was on a rope (no flutter but off target). CB did throw a couple ducks - one of which looked to be tipped at the line. In general from what I’ve seen in person on CB he is accurate and has a powerful arm. It will come...
It wasn’t the prettiest pass but he put it where only Kassis could get it.

MSU Toddler

Post by MSU Toddler » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:25 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:21 pm
MSU Toddler wrote:
Casual fan observation: I was disappointed in watching the 1st team offense running plays behind TA and TJ (think it was 2nd or 3rd series), but realized that 1) it was a vanilla scrimmage by design and 2) it’s not an either or option (CB at QB or TA / TJ) but both! I think this is ideal in brining CB along and outright punishing teams that simply can’t stop the run.

While I was a little nervous about the inevitable mistakes a young QB will have learning the position (insert most any freshman QB staring at any D1 school here with some rare exceptions) but knowing that CB is NOT on a short chain to be replaced and having the powerful run game and options to support and compliment him as he grows - I think the Cats will be just fine scoring points this year.

By the way: I recall that the pass to Kasis was on a rope (no flutter but off target). CB did throw a couple ducks - one of which looked to be tipped at the line. In general from what I’ve seen in person on CB he is accurate and has a powerful arm. It will come...
My bad.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:36 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:25 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:21 pm
MSU Toddler wrote:

My bad.
Part 2 of my high level analysis.......Kevin Kassis might be good this year.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:10 am

I'm excited to see what TP, DH, TG, NA, COR, and MJ do this year. In addition to TJ, KK, CK, and DM(player or coach?). Oh, can't forget KA, RA, and MB.

How about if we call him CATB. Or something. Casey Bauman of course can be the CB part. Casey At The Bat is where I come up with the other letters. I know. Wrong sport. And cat just fits.

If I was a play by play guy, instead of saying "Casey under center" as they come set, I'd say "Bobcats get set, Casey at the bat".

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:13 am

lutecat wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:10 am
I'm excited to see what TP, DH, TG, NA, COR, and MJ do this year. In addition to TJ, KK, CK, and DM(player or coach?). Oh, can't forget KA, RA, and MB.

How about if we call him CATB. Or something. Casey Bauman of course can be the CB part. Casey At The Bat is where I come up with the other letters. I know. Wrong sport. And cat just fits.

If I was a play by play guy, instead of saying "Casey under center" as they come set, I'd say "Bobcats get set, Casey at the bat".
You want to burn the world down don't you :lol:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:46 am

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:14 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:46 am
If I sign on to twitter, basically for BOBCAT Football, would I get all BOBCAT news. Probably nothing from individual coaches, just basic football news. And then the same for each individual sport, MBB, WBB, etc...

Thanks Vim for all your postings. Appreciated.
GOOOOOOOOO CATS!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:46 pm

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:38 am

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:53 am

RobertCats wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:38 am
Surprised Dalton Sneed isn’t in there.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:02 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:53 am
RobertCats wrote:
Surprised Dalton Sneed isn’t in there.
I was over there the other day and read where he is the best QB they have ever had. :shock:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:04 am

RobertCats wrote:
This can't be true. When I suggested he was one of the best athletes in the FCS on egriz I really got blasted. :-k

I was told he's not that fast too.

[-X