Texas Tech Season Previews

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Texas Tech Season Previews

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:09 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:12 am
DriscollCat wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:41 am
Geeze guys, this is a public board.

I can’t imagine you guys would want people to post a picture of you on a public board and say these kinds of things. I know I certainly wouldn’t.
Boy, you're going to be devastated when you see the "lookalike" threads here every week.... :?
It’s one thing to make a silly joke about a guy comparing him to someone he vaguely (basically doesn’t) resembles. It’s another thing for people to come in one after another and just rip a guy apart (not that the lookalikes thread is my favorite).

Honestly, if this was a private conversation, it would be one thing, but this is a public forum.

I think it’s difficult for a lot of people to appreciate that this is the internet equivalent of finding a bulletin board on campus, posting a guys picture on it and a bunch of people leaving comments under it just kind of tearing apart his appearance.

This thread is about the Texas Tech season previews, so this is going to be my last post on the subject. I feel like I’ve said my piece, and I’m not going to clog the thread up responding to further challenges to my post.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:11 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:09 am
ilovethecats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:

I can’t imagine you guys would want people to post a picture of you on a public board and say these kinds of things. I know I certainly wouldn’t.
Boy, you're going to be devastated when you see the "lookalike" threads here every week.... :?
It’s one thing to make a silly joke about a guy comparing him to someone he vaguely (basically doesn’t) resembles. It’s another thing for people to come in one after another and just rip a guy apart (not that the lookalikes thread is my favorite).

Honestly, if this was a private conversation, it would be one thing, but this is a public forum.

I think it’s difficult for a lot of people to appreciate that this is the internet equivalent of finding a bulletin board on campus, posting a guys picture on it and a bunch of people leaving comments under it just kind of tearing apart his appearance.

This thread is about the Texas Tech season previews, so this is going to be my last post on the subject. I feel like I’ve said my piece, and I’m not going to clog the thread up responding to further challenges to my post.
My take is that this is basically this coach's schtick. He's well aware and I'd bet he's pretty darn proud that he's not a stuffed shirt type. He wouldn't have gone to the pictures unshaven, and he wouldn't have let his hair grow out. It's not like people are making fun of a big nose or him being overweight. For crying out loud, does he have sunglasses on his head? I'm sure he has a lot of fun with this kind of stuff, and I know that's a big assumption, but this guy's been around football a long time and knows he doesn't look like a football guy. If it bothered him, he'd have changed a long time ago. I know guys like this, and they love the attention to their non-conformity. I realize I don't know the guy and I don't know what's going through his head, but I've got a pretty strong conscience and I feel like this is fair game!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:28 pm

Slightly off topic but it's annoying there is no active free Texas Tech message board. Rivals seems to be the hot spot and you can't use the message board unless you have a subscription.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:49 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:28 pm
Slightly off topic but it's annoying there is no active free Texas Tech message board. Rivals seems to be the hot spot and you can't use the message board unless you have a subscription.
Agreed.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tec ... LL-102951/ seems to be at least semi-active but not as much as I would expect so I have to think most people are on the Rivals one.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:07 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:

I don’t think it offensive to have these look a like threads or poke fun at a picture but I do think it’s one of our weaker topics on here. I very rarely scroll through the look a likes thread because it seems a little childish.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:30 pm

Speaking of which I already spotted Rosie. I haven't had time to get the thread going but there should he some good ones in there when it goes..

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Speaking of which I already spotted Rosie. I haven't had time to get the thread going but there should he some good ones in there when it goes..
Rosie’s a tradition. We got Yost out of the way. Imma stand back and let the talented people take it from here.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:23 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:11 pm
DriscollCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:

My take is that this is basically this coach's schtick. He's well aware and I'd bet he's pretty darn proud that he's not a stuffed shirt type. He wouldn't have gone to the pictures unshaven, and he wouldn't have let his hair grow out. It's not like people are making fun of a big nose or him being overweight. For crying out loud, does he have sunglasses on his head? I'm sure he has a lot of fun with this kind of stuff, and I know that's a big assumption, but this guy's been around football a long time and knows he doesn't look like a football guy. If it bothered him, he'd have changed a long time ago. I know guys like this, and they love the attention to their non-conformity. I realize I don't know the guy and I don't know what's going through his head, but I've got a pretty strong conscience and I feel like this is fair game!
I think you are talking about a Belicick type, and I agree.

2024 Resume dominance

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:57 am

utucats wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:07 pm
DriscollCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:

I don’t think it offensive to have these look a like threads or poke fun at a picture but I do think it’s one of our weaker topics on here. I very rarely scroll through the look a likes thread because it seems a little childish.
It's very childish. Like everything I hear spewed at the opposing teams, coaches and refs every weekend.... 8)

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:15 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:57 am
utucats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:

It's very childish. Like everything I hear spewed at the opposing teams, coaches and refs every weekend.... 8)
I believe I am in my second childhood, so that means I appreciating you giving me permission to make fun of what I want.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:17 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:

I suppose we should sit on our hands and be quiet when the opposing team is in offense too. :roll:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:27 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:17 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:

I suppose we should sit on our hands and be quiet when the opposing team is in offense too. :roll:
#-o

Man you guys missed the boat on this one.

Poster said we were being mean making fun of O-coordinators picture.

I said, you're really not going to like the look-a-likes thread then.

Another poster says that look-a-like thread is childish.

I say I agree. It's childish. Similar to stuff I hear at the games....

At no point once did I say I don't like those things. I'm usually pretty loud at games and as a guy that sits right behind the opposing teams....I guess you could say I'm pretty childish.

:roll:

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:34 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:27 pm
cats2506 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:

#-o

At no point once did I say I don't like those things. I'm usually pretty loud at games and as a guy that sits right behind the opposing teams....I guess you could say I'm pretty childish.

Some of us are old enough to be "childish" again.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:00 am

catscat wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:34 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:27 pm
cats2506 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:

#-o

Some of us are old enough to be "childish" again.
I know I am...

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:11 pm

Still nine days out, but the weather in Lubbock doesn't look too bad, 86 degrees for a high with 46% humidity.
For comparison, weather in Bozeman that day will be 81 degrees for a high and 44% humidity.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:28 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:11 pm
Still nine days out, but the weather in Lubbock doesn't look too bad, 86 degrees for a high with 46% humidity.
For comparison, weather in Bozeman that day will be 81 degrees for a high and 44% humidity.
Our guys train at elevation, too. As long as the heat and humidity aren’t oppressive our guys should be just fine.

It actually wouldn’t surprise me to see us do the same thing we did to the jizz in the fourth quarter. Throw a huge bomb and if it’s incomplete, no biggie. Run the same play again with a different receiver and a fresh set of legs, like when Jonsen picked up that 45-yarder. That poor corner had a 100% sprint on back-to-back plays. :lol: :lol:

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:35 pm

Cledus wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Our guys train at elevation, too. As long as the heat and humidity aren’t oppressive our guys should be just fine.

It actually wouldn’t surprise me to see us do the same thing we did to the jizz in the fourth quarter. Throw a huge bomb and if it’s incomplete, no biggie. Run the same play again with a different receiver and a fresh set of legs, like when Jonsen picked up that 45-yarder. That poor corner had a 100% sprint on back-to-back plays. :lol: :lol:
We ran that play multiple times last year, and I think it worked every time.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:38 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:35 pm
Cledus wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

I remember them running that play against Weber in Bozeman a couple years ago and scored with Lance McCutcheon.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:22 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Cledus wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

62% of the time, it works every time.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:54 am

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:22 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Cledus wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

62% of the time, it works every time.
Is your first name Yogi?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic