Alex Singleton

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Alex Singleton

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:57 am

FTG- GO CATS GO!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:17 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:57 am
He is having a really good camp!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insidethei ... l-pff/amp/
He should have no trouble making it on the roster. He had a great preseason with the Seahawks his rookie year, but still got cut loose due to the LB depth the Seahawks had that year.

Go get'um Alex!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:07 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:19 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:07 pm
Wow. That is awesome!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:07 pm

Singleton is totally making this team. Awesome to see.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Danster21
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Danster21 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:26 pm

It looks like he led the team in tackles, tied for solo, and had a TFL. He's definitely making this roster and we could see him regularly in the regular season.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:00 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:07 pm

It's not a lock. He's still listed as 7th on their depth chart for all LBs and they will only keep 6 maximum, possibly 5.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:55 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:00 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

It's not a lock. He's still listed as 7th on their depth chart for all LBs and they will only keep 6 maximum, possibly 5.
It seems pretty hard to believe that a team would only keep five linebackers. Teams try to skimp on backups at O-Line and DT (because they are less athletic) and RB (because you only use one at a time these days). They do this so that they can keep more guys at DB, LB and WR because those are likely to be your key guys on special teams. Even with nickel defense increasingly becoming the base defense, you can expect every NFL team to carry at least 6 linebackers. The Eagles wanted to dress six linebackers last year, although things vary based on availability. They carried six on the roster all year and added a seventh at one point. I would say there's a pretty good chance that they'll start out the year with seven because one of the starters has a significant injury.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:17 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:55 pm
PapaG wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

It seems pretty hard to believe that a team would only keep five linebackers. Teams try to skimp on backups at O-Line and DT (because they are less athletic) and RB (because you only use one at a time these days). They do this so that they can keep more guys at DB, LB and WR because those are likely to be your key guys on special teams. Even with nickel defense increasingly becoming the base defense, you can expect every NFL team to carry at least 6 linebackers. The Eagles wanted to dress six linebackers last year, although things vary based on availability. They carried six on the roster all year and added a seventh at one point. I would say there's a pretty good chance that they'll start out the year with seven because one of the starters has a significant injury.
That's an old depth chart. Worrilow was also ahead on that depth chart...now he has been cut. Another player on that chart is injured. He is damn near a lock.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Another guy ahead of him is LJ Fort, and apparently if they cut Fort, the Eagles get an extra draft pick from the NFL next year. One assumes that could make a difference if Singleton was pretty much even with him.

(That's what all the Eagles fans are saying anyway. I do know that the NFL gives draft picks to teams based on how many free agents they do or don't sign, but I'm not completely up to date on specific situation for the Eagles and I may even be behind on the rules for that program in general.)

I'm a Steelers fan, so I've seen a lot of LJ Fort. He's good on special teams, but so is Singleton. He's okay in coverage. He's okay in general. He's 29, so he's not going to be better than he is now. He's not a guy you keep if you can keep someone younger, cheaper, equally as good, and also get a 5th round draft pick.

EDIT: I actually think two of the guys ahead of him are injured, although only one was serious enough have an injury alert on his FR page.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:28 pm

PapaG wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

One minor update to you guys. Depth charts are put out by NFL PR squads with no input from the coaches or front office. So they're really just guesses. Singleton's place on the depth chart means pretty much nothing. I think he's pretty much a lock

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:28 pm

I hope he makes the team. Speculation that he is borderline.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2019/08/eagle ... eason.html

Danster21
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Danster21 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:39 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:28 pm

From what I've heard, seems like he'll be the guy. Singleton has been dominant on ST and will be much cheaper than the other guys so he has that edge. PFF also rates Singleton higher at LB than his competition (Nate Gerry).

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:12 am

Danster21 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:28 pm

From what I've heard, seems like he'll be the guy. Singleton has been dominant on ST and will be much cheaper than the other guys so he has that edge. PFF also rates Singleton higher at LB than his competition (Nate Gerry).
For what it's worth, Gerry is one of those guys that the staff loves and the fans love to hate.

-Trent King, Playmakers

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:49 pm

Having a big showing in the final preseason game tonight against the jets. Leading the D with 15 tackles!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:47 pm

I don't know how it's possible for him to be on the bubble given the preseason he's had. I checked out the box score and there isn't even a close second to Singleton in tackles made. I think it was 15 solo tackles, and 1 assist (or two halves).

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:18 pm

Cledus wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:47 pm
I don't know how it's possible for him to be on the bubble given the preseason he's had. I checked out the box score and there isn't even a close second to Singleton in tackles made. I think it was 15 solo tackles, and 1 assist (or two halves).
If Alex gets waived that's absolute ******.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:32 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:18 pm
Cledus wrote:
If Alex gets waived that's absolute ******.
My Broncos need a linebacker!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Steve Steverson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Steve Steverson » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:37 pm

If he gets waived he would get picked up by another team probably within the hour.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:25 am

Cledus wrote:
Because NFL teams generally give drafted guys the benefit of the doubt over undrafted guys.

Because nobody in the front office loses face if they cut the CFL tryout guy.

Because Alex doesn't look very big.

Because tackles are a worthless stat.

I'm not saying Alex shouldn't make the team. I'm just saying there are reasons he might not.

-Trent King, Playmakers