Depth Chart / Starters

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Depth Chart / Starters

Post by CelticCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:59 am

Anyone want to take a stab at a depth chart?

When will MSU update weights on the roster?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Depth Chart / Starters

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:19 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:59 am

Some are updated (Chase B. is up to 280) and some definitely aren't.

Anyway, my depth chart (1st/2nd):

QB: Rovig/Bauman
RB: Ifanse/Jones Or Tucker
FB/HB: Davis/Fitzgerald
LT: Brott/Wood
LG: Sessions/Tuiasosopo
C: Redd/Krone
RG: Kidd/Tuiasosopo
RT: Wood/Kidd Or Sessions
TE: Hadley/Davis
H-WR: Patterson/Steel Or Marshall, Jr.
X-WR: Jonsen/McCutcheon
Z-WR: Kassis/Marshall, Jr. Or Campbell

Note on WR: Kassis can play all three so another likely starting trio if Willie doesn't gain more consistency catching the ball could be Kevin at H (slot) with Jonsen (X) and Lance (Z). Will be a good competition at all three spots for the backup roles.

DE: Sterks/Marks or Ferriter
DT: Marks/Benson Or Scrempos Or Rygg
NT: Benson Or Scrempos/Deines Or Yates
Buck: Williams/Finch
Sam: Andersen/Hardy Or Choate
Mike: Hill Or O'Reilly Or Jobman/Askelson
Will: Jobman Or Kanow Or Gilman/Flovin Or Choate
FS: Alleyne/Henderson
SS: Konkol/May Or Okoda
Boundary: Thomas/Okoda Or Gibson Or Price, Jr. Or (insert freshman)
Field: Filer/Washington Or Okoda

Note on LB: Right now, Troy is the only sure-fire starter at Sam. The other two positions are wide open though Michael Jobman has a pretty good shot to start at Mike or Will. It really helps that both Gibson twins are on this team so we don't have to force a freshman in there if he isn't ready. As you can see, there are a lot of "Or's" on the defensive depth chart mostly because depth is everywhere on D!
Last edited by VimSince03 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:12 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:19 am
CelticCat wrote:

Note on WR: Kassis can play all three so another likely starting trio if Willie doesn't gain more consistency catching the ball could be Kevin at H (slot) with Jonsen (X) and Lance (Z). Will be a good competition at all three spots for the backup roles.

NT: Benson Or Scrempos/Yates

Note on LB: Right now, Troy is the only sure-fire starter at Sam. The other two positions are wide open though Michael Jobman has a pretty good shot to start at Mike or Will. It really helps that both Gibson twins are on this team so we don't have to force a freshman in there if he isn't ready. As you can see, there are a lot of "Or's" on the defensive depth chart mostly because depth is everywhere on D!
Thanks for the info Vim! It certainly is difficult to take a stab this early in Fall camp.

Some observations and questions;
  • Sterk moving from Buck to DE with Williams becoming Buck
    Boy is Okoda versatile
    Glad Hill has made it back
    Hope things turn out well for Jabari
    I wish Jalen Cole the best going forward
    Tuiasosopo isn’t a starter
    Hanser isn’t in the mix
    Deines isn’t mentioned

Is WR James Campbell the best option to stretch the field (i.e. fastest)?
Also, Coach Choate mentioned a few months back that ‘don’t be surprised to see Amandre Williams on offense sometime’. Since we have a plethora of Wildcat options, where would/could that most likely be?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:21 am

• Sterk moving from Buck to DE with Williams becoming Buck (keep in mind there will be a ton of movement along the defensive line)

Boy is Okoda versatile (Exactly what you want out of a PWO kid from out-of-state and Ty will push for a starting role next year)

Glad Hill has made it back (Will be on a pitch count but his experience is welcomed)

Hope things turn out well for Jabari (Will be a fluid situation with him this year...the door hasn't been shut yet)

I wish Jalen Cole the best going forward (See answer with Jabari)

Tuiasosopo isn’t a starter (May or may not be a starter but is in the Top 6 and will still play a major role)

Hanser isn’t in the mix (He is in the mix but he has Jonsen and McCutcheon ahead of him and he is developing nicely)

Deines isn’t mentioned (Whoops! Missed him on accident)

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:34 am

Is Sessions impressing that much that he would replace Tuiasosopo? That's a bit surprising.

I haven't heard barely a peep on RJ Fitzgerald since we signed him, he is in the mix as a FB or H-Back?

I'm a little surprised Jobman is a frontrunner, he did look lost at times last year but he does have the physical tools, but I do wonder about his sideline to sideline speed.

I was under the impression it was going to be hard to keep Askelson off the field.

It's crazy looking at that roster, so many guys who have a lot of experience and who have played well, who might not even start.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:41 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:34 am
Is Sessions impressing that much that he would replace Tuiasosopo? That's a bit surprising. (He already has replaced Tuiasosopo...happened in the spring)

I haven't heard barely a peep on RJ Fitzgerald since we signed him, he is in the mix as a FB or H-Back? (Very much so in the mix at the H-back position. Will be a stalwart special teamer)

I'm a little surprised Jobman is a frontrunner, he did look lost at times last year but he does have the physical tools, but I do wonder about his sideline to sideline speed. (He's steady and keeps improving)

I was under the impression it was going to be hard to keep Askelson off the field. (It is but other Mike linebackers have also made the case in Jobman, O'Reilly, and also Josh Hill is back in the mix)

It's crazy looking at that roster, so many guys who have a lot of experience and who have played well, who might not even start. (That is what you want because it trickles down to special teams and in-season depth when injuries start to happen)

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:05 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:19 am
CelticCat wrote:

NT: Benson Or Scrempos/Deines Or Yates

I remember Ferriter in the 3T in the spring scrimmage and doing well. He also looks much bigger and I assumed that was a formal move. Thoughts?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:06 pm

Is Choate really that high up the depth chart? I thought he still needed work in the weight room.

Isn't it Okada? Don't want to be that guy but don't need another Andersen situation.

Speaking of AndersOn, is he looking to make an impact. I haven't heard anything this fall.

Jobman was the #3 leading tackler last year I believe so much like Cozzie, he might not be flashy but he does seem to get the job done.

Does Snell look like he'll get time this fall? I was excited about him when I saw his commitment.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:17 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:06 pm
Is Choate really that high up the depth chart? I thought he still needed work in the weight room.

Isn't it Okada? Don't want to be that guy but don't need another Andersen situation.

Speaking of AndersOn, is he looking to make an impact. I haven't heard anything this fall.

Jobman was the #3 leading tackler last year I believe so much like Cozzie, he might not be flashy but he does seem to get the job done.

Does Snell look like he'll get time this fall? I was excited about him when I saw his commitment.
Keaton Anderson is out the first four weeks rehabbing a spring injury. Due to senior safety depth, Keaton's impact would be on special teams once again this year. However, next year will be a make or break year for him to finally develop into the player he was projected to be out of high school. Four senior safeties leave after this fall (Konkol, Alleyne, Henderson, and Campbell - will graduate this year and forego his eligibility). It will be a wide open safety battle next year between guys like Luke May, Ty Okada, and Keaton.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:26 pm

technoCat wrote:

Choate was vastly underrated in high school. I think he led the state in sacks (AA). I think that may be due to only playing two years in Montana. Barely played as a junior. He had 26 tfl and 11 sacks and 24 hurries his senior year.

Yes it’s O-k-a-d-a.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:41 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:26 pm
technoCat wrote:

Choate was vastly underrated in high school. I think he led the state in sacks (AA). I think that may be due to only playing two years in Montana. Barely played as a junior. He had 26 tfl and 11 sacks and 24 hurries his senior year.

Yes it’s O-k-a-d-a.
And that he was a 180 lb DE in HS.

Sounds like he's put some good weight on. And you know his effort will be there.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:09 pm

My question is what kind of MLB do you want to complement how MSU is going to use Andersen and his skillset?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:13 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:09 pm
My question is what kind of MLB do you want to complement how MSU is going to use Andersen and his skillset?
What kinds are there?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:18 pm

CelticCat wrote:
The Mike and Will's responsibilities don't or won't really change, regardless of what Troy or any of the Sam linebackers do.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:27 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:13 pm
CelticCat wrote:
What kinds are there?
Lots. In no particular order:

1. There's the kind that has the speed to chase running backs sideline-to-sideline.

2. There's the kind that excels in coverage.

3. There's the kind that attacks the line of scrimmage, knifes through gaps, and wraps up guys in the backfield.

4. There's the kind that hits very hard.

5. There's the kind that combines #1 and #2.

6. There's the kind that combines #1 and #3.

7. There's the kind that combines 1, 2, and 3.

8. There's the kind that combines #3 and #4.

9. There's the full menu player who does all of those things.

10. There's the kind that doesn't have any standout physical traits but knows his assignments better than the head coach and is a good wrap-tackler.

11. There's the kind that sucks.

So yeah, there are lots of different kinds of middle linebackers. (There are more kinds of outside linebackers, though.)

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:22 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:27 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
What kinds are there?

1. There's the kind that has the speed to chase running backs sideline-to-sideline.

3. There's the kind that attacks the line of scrimmage, knifes through gaps, and wraps up guys in the backfield.

10. There's the kind that doesn't have any standout physical traits but knows his assignments better than the head coach and is a good wrap-tackler.

So yeah, there are lots of different kinds of middle linebackers. (There are more kinds of outside linebackers, though.)
Twice as many outside linebackers as middle linebackers. Same amount of outside linebackers as inside linebackers. Look! I’m getting it. Kinda like Navin Johnson learning to dance with his family in The Jerk.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:34 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:22 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
What kinds are there?

Twice as many outside linebackers as middle linebackers. Same amount of outside linebackers as inside linebackers. Look! I’m getting it. Kinda like Navin Johnson learning to dance with his family in The Jerk.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:12 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:34 am
Is Sessions impressing that much that he would replace Tuiasosopo? That's a bit surprising.

I haven't heard barely a peep on RJ Fitzgerald since we signed him, he is in the mix as a FB or H-Back?

I'm a little surprised Jobman is a frontrunner, he did look lost at times last year but he does have the physical tools, but I do wonder about his sideline to sideline speed.

I was under the impression it was going to be hard to keep Askelson off the field.

It's crazy looking at that roster, so many guys who have a lot of experience and who have played well, who might not even start.
I read recently something about getting RJ back from injury and how that was a big thing. So he quietly has been an important contributor.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:46 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:34 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:22 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
What kinds are there?

You've just described Josh Hill. 8) He is in my estimation our best natural LB and that is saying a lot because Troy is in the mix. I really like Hill and hope he can stay well for the season. He will make some outstanding plays for us!

Caturday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Caturday » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:01 am

I think by the middle of the season it’s going to be Troy, Josh (with Kanow taking reps to manage Hill’s pitch count) and Askelson as our top 3 linebackers.