2019 Polls

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2019 Polls

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun May 19, 2019 8:17 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:41 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:36 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:22 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:43 am
I would never discourage anyone from romping on the griz, but in reality they lost three games by a total of ten points. One of those was the last "no play" of the game vs. the Cats . "Coulda-shoulda 9-2". They deserve our attention.
Well, they also won two of their games by a total of ten points. If you are going to count their close losses as possible wins, then shouldn't you also count their close wins as possible losses? They coulda-shoulda been 4-7.
Yep, that too..but one of those wins was over then #13 Northern Iowa 26-23.
Obviously UNI was overrated in the preseason polls, since they finished out of the top 25 and out of the playoffs.
And, that was the first game of the season and first game back for Hauck. Nobody had any film on them yet. The griz jumped out to a 26-0 lead in the first half, and in typical 2018 Griz form, lost the 2nd half 23-0. So yes they got the win but it wasn't as good as you make it sound.

I'm sure the griz will have a decent team next year, and Sneed is a playmaker who will give them a chance in any game. But they are not currently a top 4 team in the conference.
UNI made the playoffs and won their 1st round game, then lost to Davis by 7.

The Griz are definitely overrated though. Not gonna be in the top 25 in other polls that know more about FCS.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Sun May 19, 2019 9:16 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:08 pm
catatac wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:44 pm
codecat wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:55 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
I would never discourage anyone from romping on the griz, but in reality they lost three games by a total of ten points. One of those was the last "no play" of the game vs. the Cats . "Coulda-shoulda 9-2". They deserve our attention.
Definitely have to agree - irregardless of schedule strength, they played us quite even last year, and Bobby is as good of a recruiter as Coach Choate is and a proven commodity. I can only see their offensive line getting better as Bobby has recruited it well in the past.
I don't know if Hauck is as good of a recruiter as Choate. Me might be but we'll see. Time will tell.
UM is probably a tougher sell now than it was the first time around for Hauck. The first time they were coming off two NCs and four NC appearances in eight years. The past eight haven’t been anything like that.
Good point TomCat88; also I'd argue the academic and social-cultural sell isn't what is was as well! Timing is everything; I'd argue Hauck's success was built before his arrival the first stint. It will be interesting if he can build on mediocrity this go-around!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun May 19, 2019 9:38 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:17 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:41 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:36 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:22 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
Well, they also won two of their games by a total of ten points. If you are going to count their close losses as possible wins, then shouldn't you also count their close wins as possible losses? They coulda-shoulda been 4-7.
Yep, that too..but one of those wins was over then #13 Northern Iowa 26-23.
Obviously UNI was overrated in the preseason polls, since they finished out of the top 25 and out of the playoffs.
And, that was the first game of the season and first game back for Hauck. Nobody had any film on them yet. The griz jumped out to a 26-0 lead in the first half, and in typical 2018 Griz form, lost the 2nd half 23-0. So yes they got the win but it wasn't as good as you make it sound.

I'm sure the griz will have a decent team next year, and Sneed is a playmaker who will give them a chance in any game. But they are not currently a top 4 team in the conference.
UNI made the playoffs and won their 1st round game, then lost to Davis by 7.

The Griz are definitely overrated though. Not gonna be in the top 25 in other polls that know more about FCS.
Oops, thanks for the correction!

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Mon May 20, 2019 10:32 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:38 am
catscat wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:10 am
How the heck does um make the top 25? End of last season they barely got a vote.
It’s almost comical at this point. They will continue to get preseason love because of their name.
They may be decent this upcoming year, but nothing from last season should have them in the top 25 right now.
But that’s just it, they don’t use last season to decide the polls for this upcoming season. Sure they provide a barometer and often times a team who finished last season in top 10 will get a good pre season ranking but it’s not automatic. They are looking at the number of returning starters and other attributes as well. The Griz have 16 guys who either started on offense or played a ton of snaps coming back. They have 12 guys who started or played a ton of snaps on defense coming back. They were considered really young last year and missed the playoffs by one game. I think they’ll be better this year for sure. Their schedule is the toughest in the Big Sky for sure and one of toughest possibly in all of FCS though so I’m still going to be surprised if they can get to 7 wins.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon May 20, 2019 4:38 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:32 am
Catsrgrood wrote:
catscat wrote:
How the heck does um make the top 25? End of last season they barely got a vote.
It’s almost comical at this point. They will continue to get preseason love because of their name.
They may be decent this upcoming year, but nothing from last season should have them in the top 25 right now.
But that’s just it, they don’t use last season to decide the polls for this upcoming season. Sure they provide a barometer and often times a team who finished last season in top 10 will get a good pre season ranking but it’s not automatic. They are looking at the number of returning starters and other attributes as well. The Griz have 16 guys who either started on offense or played a ton of snaps coming back. They have 12 guys who started or played a ton of snaps on defense coming back. They were considered really young last year and missed the playoffs by one game. I think they’ll be better this year for sure. Their schedule is the toughest in the Big Sky for sure and one of toughest possibly in all of FCS though so I’m still going to be surprised if they can get to 7 wins.
Good analysis. I won't be surprised if they get to 7 wins but I'd bu surprised if the got to 8. Agree though, 6-6 is probably most likely.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon May 20, 2019 5:15 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
catscat wrote:
You guys have the schedule we had last year.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon May 20, 2019 9:10 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:15 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
catscat wrote:
You guys have the schedule we had last year.
Even tougher in my opinion, FBS Oregon plays a role in that.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:50 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:08 am

14. MONTANA STATE
A year after making it to the second round of the playoffs, the Bobcats have a stacked team in 2019. Eighteen starters are back on offense and defense. The question is who will be QB1 and can Montana State threaten a defense through the air? If that question is answered in a positive way, the Bobcats are a team to fear in December.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:26 am

Can’t say I disagree with that much at all, sounds pretty accurate at this point in time.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:26 am

Also notice Hero Sports is counting down the number of days to kickoff by listing the top 99 players in FCS football. Glad to see Kevin Kassis getting some love! They rank him at number 85 overall in FCS!

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2 ... state-bzbz

Team10

Post by Team10 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:27 am

This is more believable with the Cats sitting at 14. Four BSC teams in the top 15, however.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:29 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:26 am
Also notice Hero Sports is counting down the number of days to kickoff by listing the top 99 players in FCS football. Glad to see Kevin Kassis getting some love! They rank him at number 85 overall in FCS!

I think its just the best player in the FCS currently wearing that number...right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:37 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:29 am
Cataholic wrote:

I think its just the best player in the FCS currently wearing that number...right? Correct me if I'm wrong.
My bad!! Good catch!! You are correct!!! I wonder who number 15 will be? Maybe number 22 will be an MSU kid as well? Regardless, nice exposure for the Cats!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:41 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:37 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:29 am
Cataholic wrote:

My bad!! Good catch!! You are correct!!! I wonder who number 15 will be? Maybe number 22 will be an MSU kid as well? Regardless, nice exposure for the Cats!
Yup absolutely. Kevin is a team guy but he would explode in a pass-first offense....maybe even just a balanced offense.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:27 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:38 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
catscat wrote:
Good analysis. I won't be surprised if they get to 7 wins but I'd bu surprised if the got to 8. Agree though, 6-6 is probably most likely.
Yes, good analysis: The biggest obstacle this hear will be their schedule. Some argue that Hauck got a winning program handed to him, which is true, but he was able to maintain it with his recruiting. He always did well recruiting the O-Line and the youth there was their biggest handicap last year that i could see. Just my 2-cents, but they could be tough this year.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:31 am

Hero sports podcast explaining their top 25.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-201 ... op-25-bzbz

Right off the bat they are attempting to explain their pick of James Madison as #1.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:37 am

Troy Andersen 1st team defense. ath.
Mitch Brott 2nd team offense.
Isaiah Ifanse 3rd team offense.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:00 am

Big Sky Conference got some love on offense with five players on the first team and 2 quarterbacks with Jake Maier quarterback and Eric Barriere as athlete.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:19 am

hahahah

I love it. this next year is TA's first year where he is expected to be a full time linebacker after spending nearly all of his first 2 years on offense... and he is selected as a pre-season All American Defense 1st teamer, with close to zero experience on the defensive side.... haha, wow!

just speaks to the crazy hype that is surrounding this kid, not just in the Big Sky, but across the entire country. Note- I do not disagree with the selection, just think its crazy that he actually made that list.

FTG- GO CATS GO!