Troy Andersen

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: Troy Andersen

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:19 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:As someone who keeps close tabs on the entire Big Sky Conference, Troy Andersen is the most physically stunning blend of size and speed in the entire league and that's as a true freshman from a Montanan Class A school playing running back for the first time in his entire life. He rushed for 515 yards and five touchdowns — North Dakota workhorse Brady Oliveira rushed for 637 yards and 3 TDs for comparison sake — and he didn't even practice with the offense the second half of the season.

Troy Andersen out ran Josh Buss on at least three different occasions on Saturday. When they run the speed option with him, if you kick out the corner and the timing on the pitch is right, you literally can't stop it. He runs the toss sweep and the speed option like the state champion 200 runner he was in high school. His ability to turn the corner is absolutely astounding. I understand that has the athleticism to be an All-Big Sky linebacker and that Choate will have a hard time of convincing Ty Gregorak to not use him on defense. But I think it would be foolish to not play him on offense. With further development, I think he could be truly unstoppable because, well, he basically already is.
I’m not a football technician by any means and I clearly picked up on that in the second quarter. I thought for sure they would continue to make hay with that in the second half but it was completely abandoned.
Yeah, I was stunned that for all the success that option pitch to Anderson had in the first half, we saw none of it in the second. As we're trying to pound the football up the middle and the continual quarterback keepers......The griz did nothing to even begin to slow that option and Anderson's speed once he makes the corner. Why did we completely abandon that?
Because that's what we did all year. We never repeated things we did successfully on offense. Instead of passing on 3rd and 6 with 2 mins to go we should have run a speed option, or any run play for that matter. But instead we stopped the clock with an incomplete pass, preserving the Griz final TO.
I dunno, I liked the call. Give your sure-handed senior WR playing his last few snaps of his career the chance to salt the game away on one play. Pass was on target, he just didn't catch it. Thankfully the defense came through and got the stop, else that no-catch might have haunted him...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Freshman of the Year.

golden77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by golden77 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:23 pm

I agree about keeping Troy at running back. With him and Chris in the backfield there is a chance that at any given time one of those guys is going to take it to the house. They are both dynamic playmakers with tremendous speed who can break the big one at any time. I could give a rats ass if Troy is to tall, runs to upright, or doesn't look like a running back, his upside at running back is unlimited and I think if the coaches just let him run the ball he could become one of the all time bobcat greats.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:53 pm

I think Colter said it best "It's not whether Troy can survive a whole season in the Big Sky at RB, it's can the Big Sky survive a whole season of Troy at RB."

He's proven he is a playmaker. He may not be an everydown back because his lateral speed isn't great, but out of a pistol formation, or tosses/pitches and oh man.

I think a combination of Vander, Jones, Andersen and Murray is pretty good. Hopefully one of the young bucks step up.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:53 am

I'll go ahead and bump this.

I love the "Thunder and Lightning" thinking. While adding Sparaco would certainly add to the mix, I think the Bobcats are going to be dang good even if his transfer rumor falls apart.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:34 pm

Rich K wrote:I'll go ahead and bump this.

I love the "Thunder and Lightning" thinking. While adding Sparaco would certainly add to the mix, I think the Bobcats are going to be dang good even if his transfer rumor falls apart.
We better be, Coach has now had 3 years to download the Cool aid, feed them at the station, and implement his "culture". If we don't start seeing the results on Saturdays soon... but then again, that's another issue isn't it? Our program will need to start showing the fruit ( I believe that we will ) otherwise we're in for a long 3 more years of "building our program the right way"! 8)

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:11 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Rich K wrote:I'll go ahead and bump this.

We better be, Coach has now had 3 years to download the Cool aid, feed them at the station, and implement his "culture". If we don't start seeing the results on Saturdays soon... but then again, that's another issue isn't it? Our program will need to start showing the fruit ( I believe that we will ) otherwise we're in for a long 3 more years of "building our program the right way"! 8)
We have been seeing the fruits,just low-hanging ones. I think we were 0-6 for our first Big Sky games under Choate, but are since 7-3 since our lost to SUU in November 2016.

But I know what you mean, we need to get above .500 at the very least this year. Initially I thought next year's schedule was brutal, but looking at it now it strong but not as bad as last year.

WIU - I will say win at home, opening game
SDSU - Winnable game for sure, but we're the underdogs
Wagner - W
PSU - W
EWU - I like us at home, and EWU is having some turmoil this offseason
Idaho - Glad we got this one at home, and Idaho is also having some turmoil. Plus we have a bye week before this game
Weber State - on the road, going to be pretty hard, but Cantwell graduated so we will see how they fare without him
Idaho State - W
Cal Poly - Poly was awful last year, and it was shocking - I don't expect that to be the case again
UNC - team on the rise, but we get them at home
Griz - Should have the advantage with a new coach and culture shift, but Hauck teams play their best ball in November so it will be tough

I think absolute worst case scenario, we only get 4 wins. However I think we beat one of the MVFC teams, start the season 3-1. The EWU & Idaho games will tell us where we really are. I could see us losing to EWU, but then having a bye before having Idaho at home will give us the advantage there. If we split those games, we are 4-2. Then we got back to back road games, Weber and Idaho State. If we split those, we are 5-3. Then I think we beat Poly and UNC, leaving us 7-3 heading into Cat Griz.

We have most of the tough games at home, especially in conference, and I'm glad we don't play NAU, SUU or Sac State this year. We don't play 3 of the top 5 teams from last year, and we get EWU at home, and Weber lost Cantwell to graduation.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:40 pm

Last edited by RobertCats on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Some interesting stuff. We know he’ll play both ways, but it sounds like it could lean more towards offense from that article.

Interesting to read about Hadley back at LB too, makes sense with the guys they brought in for the Buck position though.

Is it Aug yet?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:14 am

I like how open-minded Choate and the coaches are about Andersen and other things like spring ball. I think they should have a weekly game plan for him. Overall they should have a rough idea about how many plays he’ll be in on and then for some games plan to have him at a higher percentage on defense or offense and see how the game pans out. If it’s a pass heavy team and they value his pass rush and coverage skills then plan on him playing more defense. If he stacks up well against an opponents defense plan to get him the ball.

I’d like to see him line up at WR. Great speed, huge target.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:20 am

As long as he is on the field, I really don't care where they put him. I think he would be an excellent spread QB, I could see him as a great safety, he has the hands to be a fine WR, the bottom line, he is diversified and I think we have the type of staff that will take advantage of that diversity. My only concern is there will come a point in time where he will probobably want to stay at one positon and develop into a really high quality player. I don't want to spread him to thin or burn him out. However, he is a great person, a total team player, and if anybody can handle the diverse role, it will be him!

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:59 am

Here are some ‘impactful’ additions/changes to the team since last season;
DEFENSE
• Bryce Sterk (transfer)
• Dante Sparaco (transfer)
• Daniel Hardy (transfer)
• Jacob Hadley (healthy)
• Grant Collins (healthier)
• Chad Kanow, Michael Jobman, Kyle Finch, Chase Benson, (all sophomores in 2018 that have progressed very nicely)
Mac Bignell (graduated)
OFFENSE
• Tyler Natee (transfer)
• Karl Tucker II (moved to RB)
• Isaiah Ifanse (incoming Freshman)
Nick LaSane (graduated)

IMHO, there have been WAY more positive additions on the defensive side of the ball (specifically LB & DE) than to the RB position. IF TG CAN'T COME UP WITH A DOMINANT GROUP OF LB'S & DE'S WITH THOSE NAMES LISTED ABOVE ALONG WITH Josh Hill, Brayden Konkol (?safety), Tadan Gilman, Walker Cozzie, & others, THEN WE NEED TO GET ANOTHER DC.

I think moving Mr. Anderson to RB full-time or very very close to full-time, BASED ON THE ROSTER WE HAVE, would be the best thing for the team. GOOD LUCK TO THE COACHING STAFF IN DETERMINING WHAT IS THE BEST THING FOR THE TEAM!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:38 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:Here are some ‘impactful’ additions/changes to the team since last season;
DEFENSE
• Bryce Sterk (transfer)
• Jacob Hadley (healthy)
• Chad Kanow, Michael Jobman, Kyle Finch, Chase Benson, (all sophomores in 2018 that have progressed very nicely)
Mac Bignell (graduated)
OFFENSE
• Tyler Natee (transfer)
Nick LaSane (graduated)

IMHO, there have been WAY more positive additions on the defensive side of the ball (specifically LB & DE) than to the RB position. IF TG CAN'T COME UP WITH A DOMINANT GROUP OF LB'S & DE'S WITH THOSE NAMES LISTED ABOVE ALONG WITH Josh Hill, Brayden Konkol (?safety), Tadan Gilman, Walker Cozzie, & others, THEN WE NEED TO GET ANOTHER DC.

I think moving Mr. Anderson to RB full-time or very very close to full-time, BASED ON THE ROSTER WE HAVE, would be the best thing for the team. GOOD LUCK TO THE COACHING STAFF IN DETERMINING WHAT IS THE BEST THING FOR THE TEAM!
There's a lot more RBs coming than just Ifanse.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:52 pm

Correct. White, Cauley and Sumner. Logan Jones also returns. Hey maybe it’s time to redshirt Andersen! :wink:

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:07 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:Here are some ‘impactful’ additions/changes to the team since last season;
DEFENSE
• Bryce Sterk (transfer)
• Jacob Hadley (healthy)
Mac Bignell (graduated)
OFFENSE
• Tyler Natee (transfer)
Nick LaSane (graduated)

whoa, you must really mean it to use so many caps.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:27 am

DEFENSE
• Bryce Sterk (transfer)
• Jacob Hadley (healthy)
Mac Bignell (graduated)
OFFENSE
• Tyler Natee (transfer)
Nick LaSane (graduated)

TG is the premier DC in the FCS. He isn't going anywhere without us being in major trouble.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:25 am

CelticCat wrote:I think Colter said it best "It's not whether Troy can survive a whole season in the Big Sky at RB, it's can the Big Sky survive a whole season of Troy at RB."

He's proven he is a playmaker. He may not be an everydown back because his lateral speed isn't great, but out of a pistol formation, or tosses/pitches and oh man.

I think a combination of Vander, Jones, Andersen and Murray is pretty good. Hopefully one of the young bucks step up.
It must suck to be so good that they literally have NO IDEA where to put you! :lol:

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:00 am

I’m gonna be that guy. I apologize in advance.

I get that Troy is an unreal athlete for this level, and I think he can play either position well...but I wish they would just pick a position for him and stick to it.

I don’t mind if he situationally plays RB, but I think going back and forth between offense and defense will be to his detriment. Learning multiple defensive positions is hard enough...I personally would leave RB out of it.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 am

bobcat99 wrote:I’m gonna be that guy. I apologize in advance.

I get that Troy is an unreal athlete for this level, and I think he can play either position well...but I wish they would just pick a position for him and stick to it.

I don’t mind if he situationally plays RB, but I think going back and forth between offense and defense will be to his detriment. Learning multiple defensive positions is hard enough...I personally would leave RB out of it.
I agree.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 am

I think Troy will be in the #1 rotation for running back with Logan Jones and Tyler Natee. JMO.
I realize Natee is expected to be more of a fb but I believe, if he loses some weight, you will see him as more of a pure rb.
I have no reason to believe Jones will not be the main back.

These three are the only RBs will meaningful D1 experience.
Hopeful on the incoming hs guys. Maybe most redshirt unless they have had great off seasons.