Craig Haley's FCS QB's to Watch in 2018

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Craig Haley's FCS QB's to Watch in 2018

Post by Rich K » Wed May 16, 2018 7:29 am

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... tch-2018#1

It's an annoying click-bait story, but...
Other Quarterbacks to watch include
Chris Murray, MSU
Kevin Thomson, Sacramento State
Sean McGuire, Western Illinois

QB's of note in his top 10 watch list include:
8. Jake Meier, UC Davis
5. Taryn Christion, South Dakota State
4. Case Cookus, NAU
1. Gabe Gubrud EWU

Bobcats will face 3 of these quarterbacks in the first 5 games of the season, McGuire, Christion, and Gubrud.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Craig Haley's FCS QB's to Watch in 2018

Post by Cat Grad » Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 am

Rich K wrote:https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... tch-2018#1

Chris Murray, MSU

8. Jake Meier, UC Davis
4. Case Cookus, NAU
1. Gabe Gubrud EWU

Bobcats will face 3 of these quarterbacks in the first 5 games of the season, McGuire, Christion, and Gubrud.
Thanks for posting this. As usual, the Patriot and Ivy Leagues got more ink than deserved but such is life. It ought to be an interesting fall to see if the MVFC continues their dominance over the other conferences. Notice not much love for the Southland for whatever reason.

Relative the quick note about Murray--I couldn't help but notice how much he had grown in comparison to his freshman year without any noticeable loss of speed this spring. I think with just that slight increase in strength, a lot more experience on the OL and a couple receivers he can trust to catch the ball this year he's not going to take off like that kid who left for Oregon did before him. Should be a great season this year.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 am

Cat Grad wrote:

Chris Murray, MSU

8. Jake Meier, UC Davis
4. Case Cookus, NAU
1. Gabe Gubrud EWU

Thanks for posting this. As usual, the Patriot and Ivy Leagues got more ink than deserved but such is life. It ought to be an interesting fall to see if the MVFC continues their dominance over the other conferences. Notice not much love for the Southland for whatever reason.

Relative the quick note about Murray--I couldn't help but notice how much he had grown in comparison to his freshman year without any noticeable loss of speed this spring. I think with just that slight increase in strength, a lot more experience on the OL and a couple receivers he can trust to catch the ball this year he's not going to take off like that kid who left for Oregon did before him. Should be a great season this year.
If you mean "take off" as in giving up on the pass and running; lets hope Murray can approach Prokop's numbers of 5600 yards over 2 seasons.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed May 16, 2018 9:26 am

gtapp wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Chris Murray, MSU

8. Jake Meier, UC Davis
4. Case Cookus, NAU
1. Gabe Gubrud EWU

If you mean "take off" as in giving up on the pass and running; lets hope Murray can approach Prokop's numbers of 5600 yards over 2 seasons.
Not about to argue for any reason. I'll simply state the majority of those 5600 yards came from garbage and pad the stats times of the game. Chris Murray, as a sophomore, equaled the one stat that mattered by a senior: a 5-6 won-loss record. He has two more years of eligibility ahead of him and his senior year, he'll be one year younger than the kid who left for Oregon, right? I think Chris Murray has a tremendous upside ahead of him and with an experienced OL and dependable receivers his passing will obviously be better.

Go back and look at how many dropped passes the Cats had the last two years.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed May 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Is Murray still 19 years old?

by age comparison, he should be coming off his redshirt year, playing as a R-FR this coming season

with 4 years left to play

imagine that

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Cat Grad wrote: Not about to argue for any reason. I'll simply state the majority of those 5600 yards came from garbage and pad the stats times of the game. Chris Murray, as a sophomore, equaled the one stat that mattered by a senior: a 5-6 won-loss record. He has two more years of eligibility ahead of him and his senior year, he'll be one year younger than the kid who left for Oregon, right? I think Chris Murray has a tremendous upside ahead of him and with an experienced OL and dependable receivers his passing will obviously be better.

What was Prukop's record as a starter? Thanks in advance.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed May 16, 2018 12:30 pm

PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote: Not about to argue for any reason. I'll simply state the majority of those 5600 yards came from garbage and pad the stats times of the game. Chris Murray, as a sophomore, equaled the one stat that mattered by a senior: a 5-6 won-loss record. He has two more years of eligibility ahead of him and his senior year, he'll be one year younger than the kid who left for Oregon, right? I think Chris Murray has a tremendous upside ahead of him and with an experienced OL and dependable receivers his passing will obviously be better.

I think 12-10. He missed 2 or 3 games due to injury.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed May 16, 2018 12:34 pm

gtapp wrote:
PapaG wrote:

That sounds about right. Either 11-10 or 12-10 and that ought to end any discussions as to who was the more effective leader (without getting into what we all know now was going on within that locker room during his time there)...

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed May 16, 2018 12:38 pm

JDoub wrote:Is Murray still 19 years old?

by age comparison, he should be coming off his redshirt year, playing as a R-FR this coming season

with 4 years left to play

imagine that
Tremendous future for the young man. He's going to be about the same age as D Mac was when he first started, correct? Not certain but there are more than a few posters here who seem to forget the mess Chris Murray was given when he got his first start. I personally think the last two years he's playing will be good years.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed May 16, 2018 12:46 pm

gtapp wrote:
PapaG wrote:

All of which MSU lost?

So according to CatGrad (not to argue), most of his stats were in "garbage time" despite him having a 12-10 record as a starter, and a 280 yard passing playoff game in the snow against SDSU a week after he had to sit out the Bleskin game in Missoula.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed May 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
That sounds about right. Either 11-10 or 12-10 and that ought to end any discussions as to who was the more effective leader (without getting into what we all know now was going on within that locker room during his time there)...
So Prukop led his team to a winning overall record as a starter with an abysmal defense and the coach got fired after his RS-Jr. year. Meanwhile MSU has gone 4-7 and 5-6 the last two seasons, and the coach brought in a transfer to compete with the incumbent starter and stated directly that MSU needs to be better at QB in order to compete for championships.

Mmmmkay

What a ride

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed May 16, 2018 12:57 pm

PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
So Prukop led his team to a winning overall record as a starter with an abysmal defense and the coach got fired after his RS-Jr. year. Meanwhile MSU has gone 4-7 and 5-6 the last two seasons, and the coach brought in a transfer to compete with the incumbent starter and stated directly that MSU needs to be better at QB in order to compete for championships.

Mmmmkay
Christ oh mighty! Why can't you give the kid a break and just a little bit of credit? Go back and look at the records of the teams the one that left beat. Dang. I look forward to watching improved OL play and a few receivers who can catch the ball the next two years.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed May 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Well.... lets hope that murray can develop into the caliber of QB that Prukop was.... cuz if that's the case, this team will be primed for a deep playoff run.

as much as people like to be bitter about prukop leaving (me included), he is arguably one of the best QB's in Bobcat history. Guy was an absolute stud. As athletic as Murray, but ALSO a very good passer.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed May 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Christ oh mighty! Why can't you give the kid a break and just a little bit of credit? Go back and look at the records of the teams the one that left beat. Dang. I look forward to watching improved OL play and a few receivers who can catch the ball the next two years.
I haven't said a negative thing about Chris in this thread and I appreciate what he's done at MSU as both a player and a student-athlete. I did post what Coach Choate said about the QB position, so your issue is with Choate, not me. You're the one sh*tting on Prukop as a "leader," whatever that means, however. It made much more sense for Dakota to play his senior year in the Chip Kelly/Cramsey offense at Oregon than it did to learn a new offense in what was obviously going to be a rebuilding year. I know you had a complete meltdown over it and haven't gotten over it, but he is an MSU graduate and always will be an MSU graduate.

Take a look at the scores from the 2014 season. That team easily could have been 9-2 with an average defense or 2-9 with an awful offense, yet it made the playoffs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Mont ... tball_team

What a ride

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed May 16, 2018 2:28 pm

PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
I haven't said a negative thing about Chris in this thread and I appreciate what he's done at MSU as both a player and a student-athlete. I did post what Coach Choate said about the QB position, so your issue is with Choate, not me. You're the one sh*tting on Prukop as a "leader," whatever that means, however. It made much more sense for Dakota to play his senior year in the Chip Kelly/Cramsey offense at Oregon than it did to learn a new offense in what was obviously going to be a rebuilding year. I know you had a complete meltdown over it and haven't gotten over it, but he is an MSU graduate and always will be an MSU graduate.

Take a look at the scores from the 2014 season. That team easily could have been 9-2 with an average defense or 2-9 with an awful offense, yet it made the playoffs.

The guy says give the kid a break, when he references Chris. When it's Dakota, no problem ragging on that kid.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed May 16, 2018 2:51 pm

allcat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

The guy says give the kid a break, when he references Chris. When it's Dakota, no problem ragging on that kid.
Chris Murray is still playing for MSU. Prukop is long gone. Big difference.

A bunch of old turds get together and argue about who the best ball players were and invariably somebody will mention how good Paul Dennehey was and for some unknown reason, somebody will start badmouthing him. Same way with Dennis.

I personally enjoy quarterbacks who understand ball control and clock management and are only concerned with the final score and ensure their other teammates--defense and special teams--are physically able to contribute the entire game.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed May 16, 2018 3:10 pm

PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Mmmmkay
Chris Murray's freshman year he was 2-3 or 2-4 as a starter I believe. Again, I think he's going to have a good year, as young and inexperienced as he is still.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Interesting that Haley has Murray in his “others to watch.” I wasn’t expecting that, but I agree. Murray is 7-3 in his last 10 BSC starts. He also showed considerable improvement from frosh througb sophomore seasons, especially when you look at his games individually.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Wed May 16, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Mmmmkay
Chris Murray's freshman year he was 2-3 or 2-4 as a starter I believe. Again, I think he's going to have a good year, as young and inexperienced as he is still.
i'm not getting involved in this little pissing match...but young age or not...at some point we can't use the "young and inexperienced" as an excuse right? he's entering his 3rd year as a starting qb. seems he's getting much more experience than many kids do.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:35 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Mmmmkay
i'm not getting involved in this little pissing match...but young age or not...at some point we can't use the "young and inexperienced" as an excuse right? he's entering his 3rd year as a starting qb. seems he's getting much more experience than many kids do.
Here are Murray’s numbers over the last eight games:
8 games 87 - 161 - 6 54.0% 1148 yards 10tds 127.0 passer rating. That’s not great, but it’s #8 among BSC QBs of which there are 13. I don’t think that they’re reflective of a young, inexperienced QB.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber