Time for Fish to go!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Time for Fish to go!

Post by Cataholic » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:28 pm

BobcatFan68 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
phantom wrote:
Cataholic wrote:So assuming Costello has someone in mind, it would seem that they could talk to Hall about a smooth transition. They can reassure Hall that the offense will be designed around him to get him 20 shots a game. If I was Hall, that is much more appealing than sitting out a year and going to a new program with different players and other unknowns. Doesn’t seem to be too hard a sell for a competent coach. Hall should be able to average 25 a game and improve his stock for the pros. Win-win situation.
Tyler is a very loyal kid and chose Montana State because of his relationship with Coach Fish. If you're going to play one year with different players and a new program, why stay and do it in a place that fired the guy you chose to play for?
Don’t forget, Hall is also loyal to his teammates. I ran into him at Old Chicago with a bunch of teammates and he was talking about how close they are as friends.
Than why stay (Hall) at all- Fish or no Fish, if there is no chance for this team to turn it around? Would it not be better for him as a player and his career to leave? He would get a year to fit in with another team rather than stay at MSU that has a "difficult culture" for coaches to recruit.
I am not sure what you were replying to? My thoughts are that Hall transferring due to Fish getting fired might be overblown. A well thought out plan with a good coaching hire and a communicating AD could be welcome to Hall. He gets to continue playing with his current teammates and friends. A new coach can also run the offense around Hall to guarantee solid results in preparation for a future pro career. That all sounds pretty good to me instead of taking a year away from basketball (required with a transfer) and trying to adjust to new players and environment.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:30 am

mslacat wrote:Fish is a great recruiter if he was let go from MSU he would have a good paying job with a very good program before summer hits. I am not saying this because I want him to return or not just the fact that he is very well respected as a assistant coach and he has had offers to join other programs since he took the Montana State job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But when you say "good paying job with a very good program" you mean as an assistant, not as a head coach...correct? So it seems like you're saying that he has a skill set that makes him a very good assistant coach, but that he just might not be head coach material?

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 am

I would have expected an announcement by now, given that's what Costello promised. At this point, it looks like Fish will be around for another year.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:06 am

Cledus wrote:I would have expected an announcement by now, given that's what Costello promised. At this point, it looks like Fish will be around for another year.
He said after spring break.
The decision on head coach Brian Fish will return for his fifth season, the final on his contract, will likely not be made until after MSU's spring break at the earliest.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:15 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Cledus wrote:I would have expected an announcement by now, given that's what Costello promised. At this point, it looks like Fish will be around for another year.
The decision on head coach Brian Fish will return for his fifth season, the final on his contract, will likely not be made until after MSU's spring break at the earliest.
I guess I thought last week was spring break. Am I off by a week?

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:42 am

Cledus wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
I guess I thought last week was spring break. Am I off by a week?
It is currently spring break at MSU.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 pm

I printed out a bracket this morning and I see that South Dakota State is a 12 seed. I'm not certain to what extent can be attributed to Costello, but I have to believe it's a source of pride for him and he wants that same success for MSU.

Having said that, how can he look at his former school's success and conclude we're in good hands with Fish?

It just seems to me that whatever he decides (or has decided) should have been made known by now. Maybe he has a good reason for staying quiet, but I can't seem to figure out why that would be.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Cledus wrote:I printed out a bracket this morning and I see that South Dakota State is a 12 seed. I'm not certain to what extent can be attributed to Costello, but I have to believe it's a source of pride for him and he wants that same success for MSU.

Having said that, how can he look at his former school's success and conclude we're in good hands with Fish?

It just seems to me that whatever he decides (or has decided) should have been made known by now. Maybe he has a good reason for staying quiet, but I can't seem to figure out why that would be.
My guess is that he wanted to avoid making an emotion-based decision after the terrible loss in Reno, as well as have a chance to speak with Fish, perhaps players, and then evaluate everything. He could also be considering alternatives to Fish, perhaps quietly seeing who's available, and weighing those choices vs keeping Fish another season. Who knows.

I for one, am glad that's his approach, and that he didn't fire Fish in Reno and not let him on the plane, as some folks on this board wanted that day.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:52 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:I printed out a bracket this morning and I see that South Dakota State is a 12 seed. I'm not certain to what extent can be attributed to Costello, but I have to believe it's a source of pride for him and he wants that same success for MSU.

My guess is that he wanted to avoid making an emotion-based decision after the terrible loss in Reno, as well as have a chance to speak with Fish, perhaps players, and then evaluate everything. He could also be considering alternatives to Fish, perhaps quietly seeing who's available, and weighing those choices vs keeping Fish another season. Who knows.

I for one, am glad that's his approach, and that he didn't fire Fish in Reno and not let him on the plane, as some folks on this board wanted that day.
Now that would be funny and just one time in my life I'd like to see that. Not at MSU, but somewhere.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:11 pm

When does Cal State Fullerton play? ;)

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:49 pm

wbtfg wrote:When does Cal State Fullerton play? ;)
Maybe Costello wants to go to the final four and shop around before he makes any decisions. Maybe even a regional!

2024 Resume dominance

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Time for Fish to go!

Post by imacat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:49 pm

If Coach Fish is retained there will not be an announcement by Costello or anyone else. Why would there be?

Spring break is March 12-16.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Cledus wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Now that would be funny and just one time in my life I'd like to see that. Not at MSU, but somewhere.
Closest I know of is when Pat Hayden fired Lane Kiffin on the airport tarmac and would not let him ride the team bus back to USC!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:27 pm

imacat wrote:
If Coach Fish is retained there will not be an announcement by Costello or anyone else. Why would there be?

Spring break is March 12-16.

Costello locked up Choate after the second year of a three-year contract and that was pretty public. Why wouldn’t Costello have publicly said somewhere along the line, “Fish’s job is safe.”?

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:24 am

Making the decision after spring break allows Costello the opportunity to find that underground bunker safe spot. After realizing that my disappointment this year really isn't THAT much more than the past 20 or so years (2 weeks of calming down makes that happen) I say Fish will be allowed to ride out his contract.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:09 am

Rich K wrote:Making the decision after spring break allows Costello the opportunity to find that underground bunker safe spot. After realizing that my disappointment this year really isn't THAT much more than the past 20 or so years (2 weeks of calming down makes that happen) I say Fish will be allowed to ride out his contract.
I think I sort of agree with this.

I think next year would be better with Fish then someone else.

Fish needs to work on implementing off ball screens for Tyler and not yelling at his players during the game and for the players to make smart shots, no more off balance with a guy in your face with 10 seconds still on the shot clock.

But I also would not be surprised if Fish is let go.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:49 am

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:33 pm

I think what everyone needs to understand is that there won't be an announcement made unless Fish's final year of his contract is terminated and bought out. Otherwise, Fish has a year remaining on his contract and there is nothing for Costello to announce.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:46 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:I think what everyone needs to understand is that there won't be an announcement made unless Fish's final year of his contract is terminated and bought out. Otherwise, Fish has a year remaining on his contract and there is nothing for Costello to announce.

In other words: No news means at least another year of Fishing for a better team.

But I will at least give Costello till the end of this week to make an announcement. But the longer he goes without one the more likely Fish gets another year to prove himself.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:24 pm

wapiti wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:I think what everyone needs to understand is that there won't be an announcement made unless Fish's final year of his contract is terminated and bought out. Otherwise, Fish has a year remaining on his contract and there is nothing for Costello to announce.

In other words: No news means at least another year of Fishing for a better team.

But I will at least give Costello till the end of this week to make an announcement. But the longer he goes without one the more likely Fish gets another year to prove himself.
After next year MSU will still give him an additional two years beyond that just to make sure.