2018 Signing Day (Early Period)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2018 Signing Day (Early Period)

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:22 am

https://twitter.com/tyresethefuture/status/943521046979686400

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:22 am

Don't worry about Murray folks. He's already a 1000 rushing yards per year kind of guy, and next year he's also a 1000 yard guy. Look for him to manage the equivalent of a "wildcat" option package that will make opposing defenses spend time preparing for option, plus he'll have packages just like Andersen had packages. If teams don't match up we'll against option, or they don't adequately prepare, Murray will destroy them. As far as the published depth chart goes, I believe there will be zero chance Murray is listed as our #1 QB. Zero.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:24 am

Darth Yoda wrote:Don't worry about Murray folks. He's already a 1000 rushing yards per year kind of guy, and next year he's also a 1000 yard guy. Look for him to manage the equivalent of a "wildcat" option package that will make opposing defenses spend time preparing for option, plus he'll have packages just like Andersen had packages. If teams don't match up we'll against option, or they don't adequately prepare, Murray will destroy them. As far as the published depth chart goes, I believe there will be zero chance Murray is listed as our #1 QB. Zero.
The way I see it...he will get the chance to focus on what he does best: running.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:30 am

kwcat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:Not sure why we need the JC transfer unless we want Rovig to transfer.
I do like Murray at the half back position.
Especially with a left handed fullback that can run the wildcat and pass.
Travis was beaten out by Dakota Prukop and Justin Herbert (current starter) at Oregon as a freshman. Then transferred this spring to Riverside JC. He was the #4 rated Dual-Threat QB in the nation coming out of high school. Chris NEEDS competition in order to see if he can make it as a QB the next two years. Rovig won't transfer as Jonsen will be a junior (same as Chris if he were to remain at QB) so the same timeline for Rovig to start is still in place. Rovig will be in line to take over the reins at QB his junior season with competition from Casey Bauman.
So that makes 8 QBs on the fall roster. Not many snaps for several folks.
Have we cut or moved some of the QBs?
Jonsen, Murray, Rovig, Bauman.

Realistically, those are the only QB's that will get any type of reps. McChesney is more of a student-coach.

Even then, Jonsen, Murray, and Rovig are the only ones in the competition. They'll get the bulk of the reps.

Position is Murrays to lose. Let's see how he progresses on passing into spring ball.
Everybody else, as good as they look, are promissory notes.
It will be an interesting spring in many positions.
Agree.....Murray's to lose, competition will be between Murray, Rovig & Jonsen in 2018.
I'm guessin' McChesney will always have a 'back-up' role to play in regards to the QB position but a worthwhile role nonetheless.
Don't see where O'Reilly & Brown fit in at QB. May's at Safety.

If Sterk turns out like I hope, he may be the most impactful addition for 2018, but Natee has a lot of upside as well.

Still would like to see an inside Olineman transfer in.

GO CATS....STATE CHAMPS!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:32 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
kwcat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:Not sure why we need the JC transfer unless we want Rovig to transfer.
I do like Murray at the half back position.
Especially with a left handed fullback that can run the wildcat and pass.
Travis was beaten out by Dakota Prukop and Justin Herbert (current starter) at Oregon as a freshman. Then transferred this spring to Riverside JC. He was the #4 rated Dual-Threat QB in the nation coming out of high school. Chris NEEDS competition in order to see if he can make it as a QB the next two years. Rovig won't transfer as Jonsen will be a junior (same as Chris if he were to remain at QB) so the same timeline for Rovig to start is still in place. Rovig will be in line to take over the reins at QB his junior season with competition from Casey Bauman.
So that makes 8 QBs on the fall roster. Not many snaps for several folks.
Have we cut or moved some of the QBs?
Jonsen, Murray, Rovig, Bauman.

Realistically, those are the only QB's that will get any type of reps. McChesney is more of a student-coach.

Even then, Jonsen, Murray, and Rovig are the only ones in the competition. They'll get the bulk of the reps.

Position is Murrays to lose. Let's see how he progresses on passing into spring ball.
Everybody else, as good as they look, are promissory notes.
It will be an interesting spring in many positions.
Agree.....Murray's to lose, competition will be between Murray, Rovig & Jonsen in 2018.
I'm guessin' McChesney will always have a 'back-up' role to play in regards to the QB position but a worthwhile role nonetheless.
Don't see where O'Reilly & Brown fit in at QB. May's at Safety.

If Sterk turns out like I hope, he may be the most impactful addition for 2018, but Natee has a lot of upside as well.

Still would like to see an inside Olineman transfer in.

GO CATS....STATE CHAMPS!
They have offers out to several transfer interior lineman to compete with the young guys.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:33 am

I love how it took approximately 6 seconds after the signings stopped coming in for this to turn into yet another "will Murray start at QB next year" thread. :lol:

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:33 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:Don't worry about Murray folks. He's already a 1000 rushing yards per year kind of guy, and next year he's also a 1000 yard guy. Look for him to manage the equivalent of a "wildcat" option package that will make opposing defenses spend time preparing for option, plus he'll have packages just like Andersen had packages. If teams don't match up we'll against option, or they don't adequately prepare, Murray will destroy them. As far as the published depth chart goes, I believe there will be zero chance Murray is listed as our #1 QB. Zero.
The way I see it...he will get the chance to focus on what he does best: running.
It's not a stretch to believe we will have the most dangerous wildcat package in the country.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:34 am

MSU01 wrote:I love how it took approximately 6 seconds after the signings stopped coming in for this to turn into yet another "will Murray start at QB next year" thread. :lol:
Embrace debate!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:36 am

VimSince03 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:I love how it took approximately 6 seconds after the signings stopped coming in for this to turn into yet another "will Murray start at QB next year" thread. :lol:
Embrace debate!!!
Does this end the Troy Anderson debate? Ha!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:39 am

wbtfg wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Embrace debate!!!
Only question remaining is will he be All Pro as a rookie.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:39 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Embrace debate!!!
Yep, but it is the hot question still/again. Jonsen looks to have it all, former 4 star, etc. So was Bruggman. If this guy beats out Murray, great, he looks good on paper. If not, great, because that'll mean Chris took another big step in development. Competition can't hurt, and it seems it especially wouldn't hurt for Murray to have some. IMO, and that's all this is, an opinion, i wouldn't be shocked to see 8 under center play 1 against WIU. Will make for an interesting spring, at least.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:40 am

wbtfg wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Embrace debate!!!
.....Troy and Chris debates until Spring Ball...be ready.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:40 am

wbtfg wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Embrace debate!!!
Only if it is clear that Troy will still get a small share of touches per game as running back.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:40 am

wbtfg wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Embrace debate!!!

you would think so.... all indications with these new signings is pointing toward Troy making a permanent move to LB... (just my 2 cents)

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:42 am

MSU01 wrote:https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsFB/status/943490683364507648

Now that this is official, this is the other player I referred to a while back that Hauck took a run at. He and Askelson both. This early signing period was fun to see on both sides.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:42 am

wbtfg wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Embrace debate!!!
Probably not, but signing Jonsen will hopefully help some posters in the correct spelling of Troy's last name - "SEN".

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:44 am

Yep, but it is the hot question still/again. Jonsen looks to have it all, former 4 star, etc. So was Bruggman.
This is true...but they are completely different athletes and quarterbacks.
If this guy beats out Murray, great, he looks good on paper. If not, great, because that'll mean Chris took another big step in development. Competition can't hurt, and it seems it especially wouldn't hurt for Murray to have some. IMO, and that's all this is, an opinion, i wouldn't be shocked to see 8 under center play 1 against WIU. Will make for an interesting spring, at least.
Exactly. This is what you want. The exact opposite of the situation that happened when Choate took over with only Bruggman, Jordan Hoy, and Ben Folsom to compete at QB in the spring of 2016. Speaking of Hoy, he went to a JC, tore it up, signed with Old Dominion last year....and is now transferring from ODU after getting beat out by a freshman.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:48 am

kwcat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsFB/status/943519098415095808 Travis is going to be a very important piece moving forward.
http://www.hudl.com/profile/10322849/travis-jonsen
It seems to me from watching the video that one positive in signing Jonsen is we can run the same offense with either Murray or Jonsen. Can we run that same offense with Rovig? From what I've heard doesn't seem likely. There are not to many passing highlights on here that I saw. (I didn't watch all of them.) So maybe RCC ran a comparable offense to the Cats? I would be interested in comparing Jonsen's stats to Murray's from this season but I am too lazy to look them up. Anybody care to do that?

I am pretty fascinated by all the QB's on the roster as well. I know Choate has said he likes QB's because they were usually the best athlete on the team in high school. Which of our current slate of 7 is most likely and able to switch positions?

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:56 am

VIM-

how do you rank all these early signings? (or if you wanted to wait until these couple days are over, I get it)

I am loving this class so far though. You could make a cases for several of these guys being the top recruit...

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:56 am

https://twitter.com/CoachBJ_MSU/status/943536657420054528 Alright. I concede. Looks like they are done for the day.

Okay so this is the weird part about the early signing period. MSU still has two players committed to them in RB/ATH Sherod White and Cal transfer ATH Zion Echols (presumably). The coaches are in a dead period until the January visits. My advice? Go enjoy your Christmas and be happy as fans we reeled in this many quality commits in the early period. Gives the coaching staff clarity moving forward. Here are the areas I think we should focus on going forward:

QB - complete
RB - complete (waiting on White and Echols potentially)
WR - coaching staff wants potentially two more out-of-state WRs in this class (Echols, if he commits, will potentially be a receiver)
TE - complete
OL - coaching staff will be going after JC or drop-down interior lineman to compete; also have offers out to some offensive tackle prospects
DT - coaching staff wants to add a DT recruit in this class; Williams was the guy but he decommitted
DE - Bryce Sterk helps a ton for current depth but the coaching staff is after several high school pass-rushers and will likely be the biggest focus heading into January...find a pass-rusher to develop
LB - complete in my opinion; coaching staff has a few offers out there but not a high priority with the commitment of Askelson
CB - complete
S - Winterburn signing helps but the coaching staff wants to add a stud safety in this class
K/P - complete

Priority list going forward: 1) pass rusher, 2) defensive tackle, 3) transfer interior OL, 4) wide receiver (a few more), 5) safety (one more)