Costello and the schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Costello and the schedule

Post by Cat Grad » Mon May 23, 2016 12:44 pm

What was it? Just three years ago NDSU scheduled and beat two Division I teams in the twelve game schedule. I really appreciate our new coach isn't shy about coaching his kids up to that level of ability and confidence.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon May 23, 2016 4:06 pm

Cat Grad wrote:What was it? Just three years ago NDSU scheduled and beat two Division I teams in the twelve game schedule. I really appreciate our new coach isn't shy about coaching his kids up to that level of ability and confidence.
They are actually 8-3 overall against FBS teams, and are currently on a 5 game win streak back to 2010. But they haven't played and beat 2 in the same season. They are smart and schedule bottom of the barrel teams from the big conferences. So they still pay well and they have a shot to win. KSU was the 1 team that wasn't bottom of the barrel at the time. They have never played the big boys like BSC teams do, but they haven't needed to either. They are scheduled to play Iowa this year, and Oregon in 2020, although that game may get nixed when the Pac 12 says no more FCS games like the Big Ten did.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:13 pm

They beat Central Michigan and Minnesota in 2007.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon May 23, 2016 4:29 pm

Hawks86 wrote:They beat Central Michigan and Minnesota in 2007.
I should have clarified I was just referring to the last 5 years. My fault on that one.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Mon May 23, 2016 6:04 pm

Portland State scheduled two FBS games last year and went 2-0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon May 23, 2016 8:00 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:What was it? Just three years ago NDSU scheduled and beat two Division I teams in the twelve game schedule. I really appreciate our new coach isn't shy about coaching his kids up to that level of ability and confidence.
They are actually 8-3 overall against FBS teams, and are currently on a 5 game win streak back to 2010. But they haven't played and beat 2 in the same season. They are smart and schedule bottom of the barrel teams from the big conferences. So they still pay well and they have a shot to win. KSU was the 1 team that wasn't bottom of the barrel at the time. They have never played the big boys like BSC teams do, but they haven't needed to either. They are scheduled to play Iowa this year, and Oregon in 2020, although that game may get nixed when the Pac 12 says no more FCS games like the Big Ten did.
So how many years have they even been FCS? Both NDSU and SDSU stepped up their programs as soon as they made the transition and what they've accomplished is pretty remarkable considering the first couple years or so when they moved up they weren't eligible for the playoffs.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon May 23, 2016 11:06 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
So how many years have they even been FCS? Both NDSU and SDSU stepped up their programs as soon as they made the transition and what they've accomplished is pretty remarkable considering the first couple years or so when they moved up they weren't eligible for the playoffs.
I am one to never let facts, figures and data get in the way of a good argument; however, as there seems to be a few on this site who can't come to grips with the fact that we play in a pathetic conference with quite possibly corrupt officiating that somehow precludes actual football games being determined by the kids on the field for whatever reason, I'll share with everyone the wikipedia trivial pursuit factoids about this school you are somehow finding a way to discredit what they have accomplished. It appears to me they have won the National Championship five years in a row since they have moved up, have beat many "bottom of the barrel teams from the big conferences" (to include the defending conference champion of the Big 12) unlike the national powers "big boys like BSC team do" and I kind of want to go, man...

Anyway, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dak ... ompetition

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue May 24, 2016 7:15 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
I am one to never let facts, figures and data get in the way of a good argument; however, as there seems to be a few on this site who can't come to grips with the fact that we play in a pathetic conference with quite possibly corrupt officiating that somehow precludes actual football games being determined by the kids on the field for whatever reason, I'll share with everyone the wikipedia trivial pursuit factoids about this school you are somehow finding a way to discredit what they have accomplished. It appears to me they have won the National Championship five years in a row since they have moved up, have beat many "bottom of the barrel teams from the big conferences" (to include the defending conference champion of the Big 12) unlike the national powers "big boys like BSC team do" and I kind of want to go, man...

I'm not sure how you interpreted what I said as discrediting anything that they have done? I said they were smart to schedule FBS teams the way they did. I'm sure they would have beat Arkansas State back in 2014 when we played them. I was just outlining their play against FBS schools in the recent past and saying how they set themselves up for success against the FBS. And What are you trying to say with this? "and I kind of want to go, man..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 24, 2016 8:25 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

I'm not sure how you interpreted what I said as discrediting anything that they have done? I said they were smart to schedule FBS teams the way they did. I'm sure they would have beat Arkansas State back in 2014 when we played them. I was just outlining their play against FBS schools in the recent past and saying how they set themselves up for success against the FBS. And What are you trying to say with this? "and I kind of want to go, man..."
Okay. I took what you wrote as an attempt to marginalize what NDSU has accomplished. As I'm quite a bit older than most, rather than "Come on man..." It's all good. I'm just impressed with the fact that our new coaching staff isn't afraid to coach their kids up mentally so they can compete with anybody rather than the previous staff who I felt basically wrote an L in the column prior to the game.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue May 24, 2016 8:44 am

Cat Grad wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Okay. I took what you wrote as an attempt to marginalize what NDSU has accomplished. As I'm quite a bit older than most, rather than "Come on man..." It's all good. I'm just impressed with the fact that our new coaching staff isn't afraid to coach their kids up mentally so they can compete with anybody rather than the previous staff who I felt basically wrote an L in the column prior to the game.
Not at all. A win against an FBS school is impressive no matter who it is. I thought we had a good shot to beat Arkansas State when we played them, even with the unknown at QB. The culture that Choate, and a lot of the staff, are coming from is a big positive and it's good to hear Choate wants to get rid of the DII games. If he thinks his teams are good enough to beat anyone, that's a huge shot in the arm for the kids.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed May 25, 2016 9:44 am

onceacat wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:I was thinking about this the other day. With Costello coming from SDSU he is very familiar with BSC-MVFC games and how good it is for both conferences and the teams that participate. That being said, what does everyone think the chances are that we get a rivalry type series started with SDSU, or another MVFC team? Playing every year in week 1 or 2 against the same opponent, preferably one of the better MVFC teams, would be great for both teams and possibly develop a good new rivalry outside the BSC.
Certainly the chances of arranging for Home-Home games with a MVFC team/s went up I would think. Also, with Idaho coming to the BSC which will make a 14 team conference and the possibility of two 7-team divisions within the BSC makes our out-of-conference (OoC) scheduling more interesting because of more possibilities.

A common OoC schedule for the CATs over the past several years has been a DII game, an FCS team at home, and a FBS game, in an 11 game season. This resulted in 10 D1 games of which 1 was against an FBS team which we lost (except Colorado in 2006 but we then lost the next week to a DII team), and thus left us with needing to win 7 games out of 9 FCS games in order to make the playoffs. Going forward, assuming there will be two 7-team divisions in the BSC, then there would be 6 conference games (3 at home and 3 away) and 5 OoC games going forward. Assuming that we will always want to have 6 home games then of the 5 OoC games there would be 3 at home and 2 away. There certainly would be the possibility of Home-Home agreements with other BSC teams in the other division, and as you suggested the possibility of having Home-Home agreements with MVFC teams just went up as well. In the end, if we want/require 6 home games every year, it will require us to either host a DII team or pay for another FCS team to come to Bozeman without a return trip. If the latter consistently occurs it will most likely be against FCS teams from smaller conferences or upstarts. For example; FCS Independents (East Tennesse State), Northeast Conference (Bryant, Robert Morris, St. Francis...), Big South (Gardner-Webb, Monmouth....) .

IF we can get to an all FCS schedule it will increase our chances of winning 7 Division1 games and thus increasing our chances of making the playoffs. I think a 14 team conference helps that cause, and since our new AD is from the MVFC that doesn't hurt either, IMHO. GO CATS!
From a football perspective, that absolutely makes sense. From a budget perspective, it might be a disaster. I can see how you can either give up your FBS game or your 6 home games, but both?

As GSG so kindly pointed out, what our players, coaches, and fans want will often be overridden by what the budget demands. Money talks, BS walks...
The dark pinksters to the west had an all FCS schedule last year and will have another this year. I don't know if it is doable for any FCS team to have an all FCS schedule every year though. Let's just get rid of DII games and that will be a good start IMO.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed May 25, 2016 9:49 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
onceacat wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:I was thinking about this the other day. With Costello coming from SDSU he is very familiar with BSC-MVFC games and how good it is for both conferences and the teams that participate. That being said, what does everyone think the chances are that we get a rivalry type series started with SDSU, or another MVFC team? Playing every year in week 1 or 2 against the same opponent, preferably one of the better MVFC teams, would be great for both teams and possibly develop a good new rivalry outside the BSC.
Certainly the chances of arranging for Home-Home games with a MVFC team/s went up I would think. Also, with Idaho coming to the BSC which will make a 14 team conference and the possibility of two 7-team divisions within the BSC makes our out-of-conference (OoC) scheduling more interesting because of more possibilities.

A common OoC schedule for the CATs over the past several years has been a DII game, an FCS team at home, and a FBS game, in an 11 game season. This resulted in 10 D1 games of which 1 was against an FBS team which we lost (except Colorado in 2006 but we then lost the next week to a DII team), and thus left us with needing to win 7 games out of 9 FCS games in order to make the playoffs. Going forward, assuming there will be two 7-team divisions in the BSC, then there would be 6 conference games (3 at home and 3 away) and 5 OoC games going forward. Assuming that we will always want to have 6 home games then of the 5 OoC games there would be 3 at home and 2 away. There certainly would be the possibility of Home-Home agreements with other BSC teams in the other division, and as you suggested the possibility of having Home-Home agreements with MVFC teams just went up as well. In the end, if we want/require 6 home games every year, it will require us to either host a DII team or pay for another FCS team to come to Bozeman without a return trip. If the latter consistently occurs it will most likely be against FCS teams from smaller conferences or upstarts. For example; FCS Independents (East Tennesse State), Northeast Conference (Bryant, Robert Morris, St. Francis...), Big South (Gardner-Webb, Monmouth....) .

IF we can get to an all FCS schedule it will increase our chances of winning 7 Division1 games and thus increasing our chances of making the playoffs. I think a 14 team conference helps that cause, and since our new AD is from the MVFC that doesn't hurt either, IMHO. GO CATS!
From a football perspective, that absolutely makes sense. From a budget perspective, it might be a disaster. I can see how you can either give up your FBS game or your 6 home games, but both?

As GSG so kindly pointed out, what our players, coaches, and fans want will often be overridden by what the budget demands. Money talks, BS walks...
The dark pinksters to the west had an all FCS schedule last year and will have another this year. I don't know if it is doable for any FCS team to have an all FCS schedule every year though. Let's just get rid of DII games and that will be a good start IMO.
I don't know how their financial situation compares to ours, but it seems to me that if they can have an all FCS schedule, then we should also be able to do it.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed May 25, 2016 2:55 pm

" I'm just impressed with the fact that our new coaching staff isn't afraid to coach their kids up mentally so they can compete with anybody rather than the previous staff who I felt basically wrote an L in the column prior to the game."

I'm not sure where this is coming from, I only remember a couple games where we didn't look ready to play up in the Ash era. We were very competitive in most of those games, we went there to win, and we damn near did win some of them.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed May 25, 2016 3:25 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote: I agree with you, we need to make an attempt at an all fcs schedule. However, I think in a 2-division big Sky, we'll still have 8 predetermined conference games each year; 6 against those in our division, and a rotating set of 2 against teams from the other division. You see something similar in the SEC, Pac -12 etc. What I wonder is if we'd continue to grab a game or 2 each year as non-conference against big Sky teams not on our schedule, and perhaps 1 game as part of a MVFC home and home each year to get to 11. Interesting possibilities.
So just like it is now, 8 of our 11 games would be designated by the BSC....6 Division games, and, 2 Out-of-Division (OoD) games. 4 at home, 4 away, leaving 3 non-designated games, which could be Out-of-Conference (OoC) but not necessarily. This scenario puts us into essentially the same scenario we're in now. Now we have 4 BSC teams that we could schedule a game with on our OoC schedule each year (we play 8 which leaves 4 we aren't scheduled to play). In the scenario you describe, we would still play 8 (6 in Division, 2 OoD). This would leave 5 (not 4 like now) BSC teams we could schedule 1 of our remaining 3 games with, which isn't much difference. So we'd be in the same predicament we're in now hypothetically.....

8 games predetermined by the BSC, 4 home & 4 away
1 game of a home-home with a BSC team (say it's their home our away portion)
1 game of a home-home with a MVFC team (say it's our home and their away portion)
Options for the remaining game;
*We need to come up with the $ to bring in a FCS team for a 6th home game without a return trip
*Have a DII team come to town
*Travel to a FBS team for the $, which would mean 5 home games
*Every other year travel to another FCS team and other years host another FCS team, which means 5 home games every other year.

Pick your poison. :-k

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed May 25, 2016 9:57 pm

catatac wrote:" I'm just impressed with the fact that our new coaching staff isn't afraid to coach their kids up mentally so they can compete with anybody rather than the previous staff who I felt basically wrote an L in the column prior to the game."

I'm not sure where this is coming from, I only remember a couple games where we didn't look ready to play up in the Ash era. We were very competitive in most of those games, we went there to win, and we damn near did win some of them.
Completely agree with you catatac, the play up games I never felt were an issue under Ash and his staff. SMU, wazzu we were literally one play away from winning, and kind of fluky plays at that (stupid punt return td and a bad int in field goal range if memory serves me). I can't hold Michigan st. or Utah against them, different class there.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:32 pm

Tootell & Tucker — talk about Rob Ash to Arkansas, Leon Costello as MSU's new AD
http://skylinesportsmt.com/tootell-tucker-june-2/

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:52 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Tootell & Tucker — talk about Rob Ash to Arkansas, Leon Costello as MSU's new AD
@11:15 :coffee: :-k [-o<

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:15 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Tootell & Tucker — talk about Rob Ash to Arkansas, Leon Costello as MSU's new AD
@11:15 :coffee: :-k [-o<
Well it's either Will Dissly (Washington), Dylan Hanser (Washington State), or Cody Carriger (Oregon) the supposed rumor could be about. Those are the three native Montanans on Pac 12 rosters.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:20 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Well it's either Will Dissly (Washington) or Cody Carriger (Oregon) the supposed rumor could be about. Those are the only two native Montanans on Pac 12 rosters.
I think Carriger is a Sr.? There is also Dylan Hanser at WSU.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:40 am

Hawks86 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Well it's either Will Dissly (Washington) or Cody Carriger (Oregon) the supposed rumor could be about. Those are the only two native Montanans on Pac 12 rosters.
I think Carriger is a Sr.? There is also Dylan Hanser at WSU.
Crap yes. Dylan was running with the 1s this spring a few times for Wazzu at OLB. And yes Carriger is a RSenior.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."