Krakauer book on um/grizz/msla...

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: Krakauer book on um/grizz/msla...

Post by John K » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:00 am

Jobu wrote:This book won't sell 5,000 copies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krakauer isn't going to do a book that would sell only 5,000 copies. If he doesn't find enough "stuff" to warrant his time and effort in writing it, then he'll s**tcan the project. If he decides to proceed, it tells you either that there's more to this story than we realize, or else the JJ/UM situation will be just one component of a book that looks at collegiate athletics/sexual assault on a much larger scope, as some others have already suggested.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:01 pm

John K wrote:
Jobu wrote:This book won't sell 5,000 copies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krakauer isn't going to do a book that would sell only 5,000 copies. If he doesn't find enough "stuff" to warrant his time and effort in writing it, then he'll s**tcan the project. If he decides to proceed, it tells you either that there's more to this story than we realize, or else the JJ/UM situation will be just one component of a book that looks at collegiate athletics/sexual assault on a much larger scope, as some others have already suggested.
Krakauer could write a book on how to flush a toilet and it'd sell 5,000 copies.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:36 pm

How To Flush A Toilet would be a good title for a book describing the cluster **** that went on over there. Hardly a darn thing went on in the whole thing that wasn't screwed up. I would think it wiser to just let it go rather than appeal anything now.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Here's the AP story with comments from Meloy.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/viewar ... ds-request" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Story says that Krakauer is writing a book that in part deals with Johnson.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:43 pm

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... estigation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some information in this story on Jameis Winston that might feed into why Krakauer is digging into Johnson case.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:03 pm

More info on what Krakauer may be researching. The Jameis Winston "investigation" seems to have been a farce. I'm not sure this is a book that Jordy Johnson wants to be mentioned in at all.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... x/7815023/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:39 am

PapaG wrote:More info on what Krakauer may be researching. The Jameis Winston "investigation" seems to have been a farce. I'm not sure this is a book that Jordy Johnson wants to be mentioned in at all.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... x/7815023/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well they're separate cases I think. And very different.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:32 pm

I'm told that Krakauer has asked for a summary judgement on getting the document he's seeking from Higher Ed released without the redactions.

toM StUber

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:37 pm

A district court judge has ruled that UM's disciplinary records against Johnson be released.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/judge- ... bfc22.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:05 pm

Wow:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/book ... /23122787/

I assume neither the chamber of commerce nor UM will be very happy about the title of the book.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:12 pm

This is not going to help with their admissions numbers

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:16 pm

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-t ... nting.html

They apparently expect to sell a lot of copies.

I didn't know Krakauer was a Montanan.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:26 pm

Yep, I believe he lives(d) in Livingston.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:03 pm

It will be interesting to see if online forums are within the scope of his book. Given that social media is probably one of the largest drivers of public opinion/information/misinformation right now it may be the kind of thing he would look at for his book.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:20 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:It will be interesting to see if online forums are within the scope of his book. Given that social media is probably one of the largest drivers of public opinion/information/misinformation right now it may be the kind of thing he would look at for his book.
I read egriz during that period of time. There are many examples on that board of what could be considered acceptance of a "rape culture" at UM. Some of the things posted there were absolutely brutal, and I'd like to think were only said because of the anonymous nature of fan forums.

What a ride

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:31 pm

No idea on how the book will turn out, but I never liked Krakauer as an author. I do find it amusing how some of the posters on eGriz saying he was a good author are now rapidly saying the opposite.

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:22 pm

I find it funny how many people on egriz are refuting what is in a book and how wrong certain things are when it is not on sale for another 2 months.

IYAACYAS

info197176
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by info197176 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Probably the same reaction that you guys would have if a book was entitled "Bozeman, a tale of Meth and Murder" :-^

Born2BaGriz wrote:
2506 is like the guys who bitches about Hugh Heffner having three girlfriends and goes home alone to his dog every night

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:40 pm

CPACAT wrote:I find it funny how many people on egriz are refuting what is in a book and how wrong certain things are when it is not on sale for another 2 months.
Yeah, I have to imagine that with his approach to research that we are going to hear LOTS of information that wasn't available to us in the past. I'm sure it will be an interesting read. I'm just really happy it isn't about Bozeman (as I'm sure that a similar book could probably be written about almost any college town in America if one dug deep enough).

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:05 pm

info197176 wrote:Probably the same reaction that you guys would have if a book was entitled "Bozeman, a tale of Meth and Murder" :-^
Not quite the same as a book, but Sports Illustrated wrote a lengthy article on that period of time that was likely read by more people than Krakeur's book will be.

http://www.si.com/vault/2007/08/13/1001 ... n-paradise
Trouble in Paradise

Two former athletes allegedly murder a drug dealer. An ex-football player is charged with heading a cocaine ring. Montana State is coping with a crime wave--and with Bozemanites who feel the Division I-AA school's recruits from distant cities are endangering their idyllic town
As I recall, posters here didn't make excuses, and it seems people were more upset at Ashley Koon's comments than the ugly truth that was printed in that story. Even posting the link to that story brings up bad memories of that period of time for Montana State. It's something I'd prefer to go away, but I'm guessing one could go back on this board and see some contrition and shame from our posters. egriz seems to be lacking in any sense of objectivity surrounding their own sordid recent history at UM, and also on that board.

Jordan Johnson isn't the only rape case at UM. Remember Beau Donaldson? I do, and egrizzers were even making excuses for that guy, even AFTER he admitted to the rape on tape.
Last edited by PapaG on Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What a ride