2012 Recruiting List

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2012 Recruiting List

Post by CelticCat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:14 pm

I think the last few guys we took a chance on burned us, so honestly I'd rather wait a bit.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:19 pm

grizatwork wrote:
Rich K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:and a Texas DT is transferring
http://espn.go.com/colleges/texas/story ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phatcat may be a genius... :shock:...If that is the DL that Phatcat said was coming i would be PUMPED. I watched a few Texas games this year and remember him. I would be a little surpised if he came though.
He's from San Antonio -- a long way from Euless, but you never know. Barnett, as you probably know, is from Euless. Maybe Barnett and Howell are good friends? Howell was 4-star player coming out of high school.
He would be quite an addition to the team, that is for sure. I'm going to post a link I found, which indicates there might be a bit more going on.
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... nsferring/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the link to the blotter referred to in the comments.
http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/policebl ... Jan-3-2012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IF, and I say IF the kid has some issues, I think the Bobcat team environment is strong enough to absorb and help a player like him. Coming to MSU might be good for both Calvin and MSU.
So if he transfers to MSU it is alright, but if he transfers to UM it is the same old griz bringing in trouble just to win? Just saying. I think the griz have done enough of that and their current situation highlights the potential problems with that. It has not been so long ago that the cats had the same problem. I think it is a slippery slope to say that the "team environment is strong enough to absord a player like him". It only takes one A-hole to ruin it.
Yeah, thats about right

IYAACYAS

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:24 pm

CelticCat wrote:I think the last few guys we took a chance on burned us, so honestly I'd rather wait a bit.
Please elaborate. Who and how were we burned to the point that we should not give someone a second chance?

How does waiting a bit change anything?

In my opinion, you take a chance with every kid you bring in. You just have to determine how high of a chance your are willing to take and how short of leash you have. I have confidence in this staff that they will not take chances that they believe have a high risk of blowing up or being a cancer in the locker room.

IYAACYAS

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:54 pm

CPACAT wrote:
CelticCat wrote:I think the last few guys we took a chance on burned us, so honestly I'd rather wait a bit.
Please elaborate. Who and how were we burned to the point that we should not give someone a second chance?

In my opinion, you take a chance with every kid you bring in. You just have to determine how high of a chance your are willing to take and how short of leash you have. I have confidence in this staff that they will not take chances that they believe have a high risk of blowing up or being a cancer in the locker room.
Thomas bros, Spirlin (rumors though), and to a lesser extent Burton. I say wait only because I don't want to have apr issues.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Pitt Grunt
New Recruit

Post by Pitt Grunt » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
Pitt Grunt wrote:
NewEra wrote:Vunipola is a great get, watching his video he looks like an absolute bruiser. I would love to see him as a LB as he has good speed for his size and hits with authority. As a RB he reminds me a bit of Dan Moore, but with our rb depth it could be easy to get lost in the shuffle, but anything could happen.
I have seen Vunipola play for the past two years and you have a very special player. I believe you are recruiting him as an OLB. His quick and nasty. He is really 6'1 closer to 6'2 with little to no body fat. This kid could easily put on an additional 10 to 15 lbs. When watching his video clips, keep in mind that Fe'eu played the entire season hurt with a bad ankle, knee and a nagging hamstring. Off the field he is a very polite, very humble, high character young man. Very happy he is going to a good program.
I have to admit... I wish the Griz got Vunipola.

Hey Pitt, any word on the QB Malik Watson???
Vunipola was offered by Montana and Eastern Washington, but Montana St did a very good job recruiting him. Kudos to coach Kane Loane. Made a very positive impression on Vunipola and his family.

Watson committed to Montana but has not signed anything. From what little I know, it maybe grades related. Watson is raw but has enormous upside. Biggest arm is high school football I have seen in a while. An absolute cannon. Best arm in our area, which is saying something because three other QBs in our area, Jeff Lockie (Oregon) , Bart Houston (Wisconsin) , and Zack Kline (Cal) are all D1commits.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:47 pm

CelticCat wrote:
CPACAT wrote:

Thomas bros, Spirlin (rumors though), and to a lesser extent Burton. I say wait only because I don't want to have apr issues.
Don't forget that we took a chance on the ex-griz kid too (homec)?, but then again Daly got a second chance and it seems to have worked out well for both the Cats and him.

My view is that kids will screw up from time to time, its ok to give some second chances but if the kid doesn't take advantage of the opportunity then they need to be sent down the road rather than covering it up and going on like nothing happened like SOME places do.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:04 am

**UPDATED for Cooper**
Signed
QB Austin Barth 6'6", 225 Columbia Falls, MT (Columbia Falls HS) All-Montana team ESPN (Linebacker)
QB/S Vince DiGiallonardo 6'0" 180 Polson, MT (Polson HS) Class A first team All-State QB/Safety
QB Dakota Prukop Austin, TX (Vandegrift HS) 3-star ESPN; Score 78
OL J.P. Flynn 6'3" 285 Iowa (Bettendorf HS) Top four OL in Iowa by IowaSportsConnection
OL Doug Hanson 6'5", 280 Mission Viejo, Calif. No. 32 rated prospect in Orange County
OL Marshall Womack 6'4" 255 Austin, TX (Lake Travis) All-League for Texas 4A champions
DE Zach Hutchins 6'2" 225 Las Vegas (Bishop Gorman HS) 2-star Rivals
DT Kris Cooper 6'3" 265 Garden, Calif. (Junipero HS) 3-star ESPN; Score 75
RB/LB Fe’ao Vunipola 6'0" 220 California (Pittsburgh HS) First team all East Bay; 4.48 40; 300-lb bench press
TE/DE Jackson Mahlum 6'3", 215 Frenchtown First team all Conference at TE
K AJ Silva 6'2" 175, Nevada (Reed HS) Second team all state 4A at QB; League OPOY
K Keith Leenders 5'8" 185, Jr, Vacaville, CA (Vacaville/Solano College)

Walk-ons
DE Luke Halliburton 6'1" 220 Kalispell (Glacier HS)
RB Cody Dopps 6'1" 185 Bigfork
DL Dillon Fraley 6'5" 230 Bigfork
RB Chad Newell 6'2" 210 Billings (Senior HS)

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:51 pm

http://www.dailyrepublic.com/sports/col" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ana-state/

Amazing get by MSU. Sorry if this has already been posted, but WOW!!!

:wink:

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:40 pm

94VegasCat wrote:http://www.dailyrepublic.com/sports/col ... ana-state/

this takes me to something about some Colonel.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

ABQCat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ABQCat » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:27 pm

allcat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:http://www.dailyrepublic.com/sports/col ... ana-state/

this takes me to something about some Colonel.

I'm that close to putting this article in my signature line...

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:34 pm

CelticCat wrote:
CPACAT wrote:

Okay. I don't consider any of those to be a burn. Kids are going to be recruited and not work out. It happens every year and I believe that some of that is worked into the APR as there is no way the NCAA expects 100% of recruits to stay and graduate. I would think the coaches have a pretty good handle on where they need to be for APR.

IYAACYAS

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Breaking down the Class of 2012
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/ap ... s/?p=10274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:49 pm

Pitt Grunt wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
Pitt Grunt wrote:
NewEra wrote:Vunipola is a great get, watching his video he looks like an absolute bruiser. I would love to see him as a LB as he has good speed for his size and hits with authority. As a RB he reminds me a bit of Dan Moore, but with our rb depth it could be easy to get lost in the shuffle, but anything could happen.
I have seen Vunipola play for the past two years and you have a very special player. I believe you are recruiting him as an OLB. His quick and nasty. He is really 6'1 closer to 6'2 with little to no body fat. This kid could easily put on an additional 10 to 15 lbs. When watching his video clips, keep in mind that Fe'eu played the entire season hurt with a bad ankle, knee and a nagging hamstring. Off the field he is a very polite, very humble, high character young man. Very happy he is going to a good program.
I have to admit... I wish the Griz got Vunipola.

Hey Pitt, any word on the QB Malik Watson???
Vunipola was offered by Montana and Eastern Washington, but Montana St did a very good job recruiting him. Kudos to coach Kane Loane. Made a very positive impression on Vunipola and his family.

Watson committed to Montana but has not signed anything. From what little I know, it maybe grades related. Watson is raw but has enormous upside. Biggest arm is high school football I have seen in a while. An absolute cannon. Best arm in our area, which is saying something because three other QBs in our area, Jeff Lockie (Oregon) , Bart Houston (Wisconsin) , and Zack Kline (Cal) are all D1commits.
Thanks... sounds like he still has some work to do.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:29 pm

So what ever happened to Watson?

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:42 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:So what ever happened to Watson?
He was shuffled off into the dustpan of history while Alexander Graham Bell got all the credit.

ok....that was pretty bad.
Even for me.
:oops:

Edit: It only took me three days to realize that I mixed up Bell with Edison.
Geez, HC95 is really an idiot.... #-o :oops:

NewEra
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by NewEra » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:39 pm

I know this has been discussed before, but has anyone heard anything about Eryon Barnett, the possible transfer from Texas??

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:14 pm

NewEra wrote:I know this has been discussed before, but has anyone heard anything about Eryon Barnett, the possible transfer from Texas??
He took part in spring ball but was not listed on any 2 deep depth chart that I could find.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:14 pm

I'm thinking he might show up here before next year!...

2024 Resume dominance

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:24 am

Mac Brown wouldn't let him out of his scholarship until spring ball was done. He wanted to transfer here in January.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:38 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:Mac Brown wouldn't let him out of his scholarship until spring ball was done. He wanted to transfer here in January.
Is there a DT also considering transferring?