Road Trip!

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Road Trip!

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:18 pm

I was reading the Big Sky Preps blog and noticed that 5 teams had to travel at least 500 miles to play their quarterfinal games this weekend:
Miles City -> Polson: 556 Miles
Plentywood -> Missoula Loyola: 585 Miles
Ronan -> Baker: 621 Miles
Hot Springs -> Savage: 669 Miles
Charlo -> Fairview: 679 Miles :shock:

Gotta love this state! And these kids from the smaller schools will no doubt be taking a regular old school bus! I'd need a week to recover from a trip like that!

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Re: Road Trip!

Post by CPACAT » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:05 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:I was reading the Big Sky Preps blog and noticed that 5 teams had to travel at least 500 miles to play their quarterfinal games this weekend:

Gotta love this state! And these kids from the smaller schools will no doubt be taking a regular old school bus! I'd need a week to recover from a trip like that!

I thought Great Falls to Baker was a long trip. Ronan to there is crazy. I can drive from Great Falls to Denver than they can drive from Ronan to Baker.

IYAACYAS

geogfather
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by geogfather » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:24 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:I was reading the Big Sky Preps blog and noticed that 5 teams had to travel at least 500 miles to play their quarterfinal games this weekend:

If things were to fall in to place in class B, Ronan's playoff journey would look like this:

Ronan to Big Timber: 318 Miles
Ronan to Baker: 621 Miles
Ronan to Malta: 398 Miles
Ronan to PW: 636 Miles

The way the bracket is set up this year it is impossible for them to host a playoff game. Too Bad as their overall facilities have to be one of the best HS ones in the entire state.

Pretty brutal road trips. In looking at the bracket and this years class B results, The biggest long shot there is Ronan actually winning the first three games. I don't think the others are that big of a stretch given the parity in the bracket.

Ronan is leaving on Thursday morning. They wont be in a yellow school bus though as there is a district owned coach bus that will be far more comfortable.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:22 pm

geogfather wrote:If things were to fall in to place in class B, Ronan's playoff journey would look like this:

Ronan to Big Timber: 318 Miles
Ronan to Baker: 621 Miles
Ronan to Malta: 398 Miles
Ronan to PW: 636 Miles
The way the bracket is set up this year it is impossible for them to host a playoff game. Too Bad as their overall facilities have to be one of the best HS ones in the entire state.
It is too bad they can't host. But hey, maybe the West will surprise some people again this year and they'll have to go to Bigfork and Missoula for the last two. Yeah, that's a stretch on a lot of levels.

On a related note, I saw recently that if you're in far Southeastern Montana, you're closer to Texas than you are to far Northwestern Montana.

ChiOCat

Post by ChiOCat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:39 pm

5 or 6 years ago Eureka played in Baker, it was a long haul for the team. I don't know that you can go much farther and still be in state! Maybe Troy to Brodus?

Luckily we lived in Sidney so it was a short trip to watch them. My dads cousin drove from Nebraska and had less of a drive!

"We are all vulnerable, and all fallible, with mortality our only certainty..." - Dr Kenneth Bock

WolfPtCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WolfPtCat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:14 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:.

On a related note, I saw recently that if you're in far Southeastern Montana, you're closer to Texas than you are to far Northwestern Montana.

I have a map of the western US on my office wall. I pulled out the string (computer cable)to check.....sure doesn't look like it to the naked eye...but, sure as shyte, as the crow flies.....TX is closer to the SE corner of MT than the NW corner of MT is!

ChiOCat

Post by ChiOCat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:16 pm

WolfPtCat wrote:

I have a map of the western US on my office wall. I pulled out the string (computer cable)to check.....sure doesn't look like it to the naked eye...but, sure as shyte, as the crow flies.....TX is closer to the SE corner of MT than the NW corner of MT is!
That's crazy!

"We are all vulnerable, and all fallible, with mortality our only certainty..." - Dr Kenneth Bock

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Go to google maps and get the directions from Alzada, MT to Kerrick, TX, then look up directions from Alzada to Yaak School (in Troy). It's almost 100 miles further to Yaak.

rtb

Post by rtb » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:31 pm

According to this site:
http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You guys are WRONG!! :D 599 miles from Alzada, MT to Kerrick Texas and ONLY 593.6 miles from Alzada to Yaak. :shock:

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:52 pm

rtb wrote:According to this site:
http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You guys are WRONG!! :D 599 miles from Alzada, MT to Kerrick Texas and ONLY 593.6 miles from Alzada to Yaak. :shock:
Well you ruin the fun if you do it as the crow flies! It's 759 miles to the Yaak if you're driving. But I heard Southwest has great rates from Alzada to both the Yaak and Kerrick. :wink:

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HiLineCat » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:23 pm

Well it should be easy for someone from Alzada to get to Frisco Texas for the Championship game.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:12 am

rtb wrote:According to this site:

But which side of town are you starting your trip. If I start from the east or west side of our town it could add at least 1 mile to the trip..... #-o #-o #-o

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:33 am

WolfPtCat wrote:

That is f'ing crazy. FWIW, I grabbed a cord and checked too. Business partners couldn't believe it. (nor could I)