1 Year Anniversary of BobcatBeat/BobcatNation Partnership!

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

1 Year Anniversary of BobcatBeat/BobcatNation Partnership!

Post by kmax » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:55 am

Last Saturday marked the one year anniversary of the announcement of our partnership between Colter Nuanez (Bobcat Beat) and BobcatNation.com!

Thank you to all of you here at BobcatNation that have helped to make this possible and allow Colter and us to bring you unprecedented levels of Bobcat coverage over the last year

I'll be completely honest with everyone, I wasn't really sure how this venture would turn out. When I first approached Colter at the beginning of last November about this, I thought at the very worst maybe we could get some coverage of the end of the football season and the playoffs since we didn't know if the would be much at that time from the local media outlet. What it turned into was quite beyond what I could have really thought possible, though I had hoped we could do it. Thanks to all of you we have not only allowed Colter to continue covering the Cats (Colter's hard work securing other freelance work and sports coverage jobs has supplemented it) but has also raised over $2500 for the Bobcat Club as well! We've had enough support that we have been able to help Colter travel to two away football games this year that he otherwise would not have made it to (or would have had to pay for some or all out of pocket) ensuring that Bobcat Beat and BobcatNation have had more in person coverage than any other site or publication covering the Cats!

Reminder! We began selling subscriptions last year on November 9th, many of you purchased one year subscriptions at that time that will be expiring around the time we play EWU and leading up to Cat/Griz. Don't miss out on any of the great articles from Colter and make sure you renew your subscription soon!

http://bobcatnation.com/subscribe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you again to all of our loyal users and subscribers, we couldn't have done this without you. Please continue to help us spread the word and continue to grow this portion of our site!

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

DicTater
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: 1 Year Anniversary of BobcatBeat/BobcatNation Partnershi

Post by DicTater » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:25 pm

My annual subscription was well worth it. I look forward to season 2!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:01 pm

So is it working for Colter?

If not, I was thinking this week about something. Could MSU be approached to kick in. His coverage has certainly benefited the athletic department itself. The coverage of the Cats in all sports that Colter touches is unprecedented. I would think that if Fields and Cruzado could be approached they would see this benefit.

Bobcat4Life

Post by Bobcat4Life » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:58 pm

My annual subscription was worth every single dollar! I'll be renewing again with zero hesitation.

As an alumni living in the Seattle area the coverage of our programs through Bobcat Beat has been unprecedented. The coverage from Colter through the Bozeman Daily Chronicle was great before, but it wasn't near as extensive as the coverage he has provided since leaving and starting Bobcat Beat. The long discussions with each position coach after the season and spring and fall camps were awesome and the write ups on National Letter of Intent day were incredible. For someone that never played football and only started recognizing offense and defensive schemes over the last couple years my knowledge of football has grown quite a bit reading Colter's articles and analysis.

Let's face it, the daily newspaper industry is dying out. I even see it here in Seattle, the paper gets thinner and thinner with more and more reprinted AP articles for filler. If we want this type of specific coverage we as fans and alumni are going to have to pony up the money to make it happen. We are truly lucky to have the amount of coverage we do through this site. Look at the rest of the Big Sky or even all of FCS for that matter, we have the best coverage anyone could ask for through Bobcat Beat and Colter. The individual stories featuring players are truly my favorite. I wouldn't know nearly as much about Cody, Johnson, DM, Bleskin etc if it wasn't for Colter's coverage. And neither would anyone else unless your around the program constantly or have a BQC membership you probably don't either.

I think LTown Cat has a good point, but I'd love to see us be able to support this whole heartedly on our own and be able to provide a consistent revenue stream for Colter (or if he gets tired of it, his replacement.) I'm not sure that we would want MSU Athletics or MSU in general to take this under their wing and provide the coverage. Mostly because I want Colter to write about what our weaknesses are and where we have holes in our lineups, schemes, etc. I want to be in the know not only what we are really good at, but also where our teams\coaches need some work. I don't want to read a bunch of fluff articles about how we are going to crush every opponent. I want to read about some of the negatives as well and not a bunch of fluff. If you want fluff there are plenty of sources for that.

And to the people calling out Colter on this site, ba humbug to you. I'd rather know going into a game that we have a huge area of concern then be surprised by it on game day. I couldn't care one bit if he picks against us in a game. We have to be grateful for the insight we do have into the program and the players. Even if objectively, on a game here or there we might not have the weapons to be the easy favorite. Take this upcoming weekend for example, since the game is on the road and Eastern's offense is loaded, I'd say objectively we have a 50/50 shot at pulling out a win. It's probably going to come down to one or two plays here or there that decides the outcome. If Colter picked against us, well that's fine. If you don't like it, don't pay for a subscription. If you want to live your life through blue and gold goggles then by all means do it, and don't sign up. You also have to realize though that by not signing up you've missed out on over 500 topics\areas of insight(based on the thread count in the Bobcat Beat forum) into Bobcat athletics in just one year that wouldn't be there were it not for this site and partnership. That's an average of better than one per day. I might not always agree, but I can keep an open mind about it.

I hope we can expand the subscription base and be able to get him to every away game. Keep up the good work! That's my two cents!
Last edited by Bobcat4Life on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:01 pm

I thought it was 80 bucks. How did you get it for 2 cents. :-k

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Colter and KMAX, thanks for having the balls to try it. Thanks for sacrificing your time. I know this was a huge gamble. You guys found a way to make it work, and you have exceeded any of our expectations. I truly appreciate the knowledge, insight, and human interest. Many of us invest a lot of time and money in this team so it's nice to know how we've done and where we're headed. I feel like I expect to see certain things and look for certain things. It's broadened my scope of fandom to much more than just attending games. Continue to impress us and there will always be 80 bucks headed your way.

BTW along the lines of what LTOWN was talking about, what does it take to get on the charter with the team for away games? Is this something MSU could provide or is this simply not done?

falconcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by falconcat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:19 pm

As a long time fan, 30 year season ticket holder, Colter has been a great asset. Very knowledgeable, candid, and great resource when you have specific questions. I am more than happy to renew my subscription. Hopefully there will be many more stories about this season, extending long past the regular season. :D Look forward to another year. Pretty special for Bobcat Nation!!

ddlalum

Post by ddlalum » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:31 am

My subscription expired a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed I still have access to all the content. It seems as though the content is available without being logged in, so I'm not sure it is specific to me. I'm guessing the content is wide open at the moment..... I'm not sure if that is intentional or not, just though I would let you know incase it's some kind of oversight.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:23 pm

ddlalum wrote:My subscription expired a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed I still have access to all the content. It seems as though the content is available without being logged in, so I'm not sure it is specific to me. I'm guessing the content is wide open at the moment..... I'm not sure if that is intentional or not, just though I would let you know incase it's some kind of oversight.
Colter produces both free and premium content. Much of what has recently been posted has been free for one reason or another so that is likely why you feel everything is open. Try going to http://bobcatnation.com/node/626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and you should find that it requires a subscription. If for some reason it doesn't for you (I tested this and the system does seem to be working) please let me know so that I can investigate further.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon