The end of Sports Illustrated?

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

The end of Sports Illustrated?

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:40 pm

I used to wait for the weekly sports reports and now it's gone too? College football is rapidly changing and inevitably going to break away from the NCAA; what changes happen after a couple years of the 12 team playoff? Trite, but the only constant in life is change...

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/39 ... se-revoked

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: The end of Sports Illustrated?

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:16 pm

Yeah, I saw this today. My niece was in the “Faces in the Crowd” section of Sports Illustrated back in the late 80s.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:11 am

Dating myself but I subscribed to SI from roughly 1975 to 2022 and for awhile kept every issue. One time my Denver Bronco loving friend called and wanted every issue with John Elway on the cover, including one while he played at Stanford. Dug through 'em and found 'em. I used to always read the article on the back page written by Rick Reilly first. Read every article every week with the exception of motor sports and horse racing.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:28 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:11 am
Dating myself but I subscribed to SI from roughly 1975 to 2022 and for awhile kept every issue. One time my Denver Bronco loving friend called and wanted every issue with John Elway on the cover, including one while he played at Stanford. Dug through 'em and found 'em. I used to always read the article on the back page written by Rick Reilly first. Read every article every week with the exception of motor sports and horse racing.
Ditto! When I got married I had a stack three feet high next to my bed, only the dresser holding them up. I read every article for years. It wasn’t terribly long and the writing was so good. Wonder how Sidd Finch is doing? 😆

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:27 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:28 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Ditto! When I got married I had a stack three feet high next to my bed, only the dresser holding them up. I read every article for years. It wasn’t terribly long and the writing was so good. Wonder how Sidd Finch is doing? 😆
they wrote articles? only ever got the swimsuit edition.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RICO CAT » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:53 pm

Some are saying the publication used AI to write some of the articles. If you’re a journalism school this hits hard !
Last edited by RICO CAT on Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:02 pm

Similar to others. Sports news came from the paper and SI. Parents got me a subscription from grade school until high school graduation. Boxed them up years later when they were moving and took them to the sports memorabilia store and got $100 bucks for them.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BroncoCat

Post by BroncoCat » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:47 pm

Sports Illustrated will be missed.
But the magazine for content was The Sporting News.
Man, I miss that magazine.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:43 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:28 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Ditto. But before I got married... I had the same stack of mags but they weren't SI's. :lol:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Pecos24

Post by Pecos24 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:52 pm

I haven't subscribed to SI for many years. I was a regular subscriber until I could get the majority of my sporting news off the internet. And who didn't wait with anticipation for that special February edition?! :D

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:11 pm

Pecos24 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:52 pm
I haven't subscribed to SI for many years. I was a regular subscriber until I could get the majority of my sporting news off the internet. And who didn't wait with anticipation for that special February edition?! :D
The swimsuit issue was fantastic through the 70's and 80's with the likes of Kathy Ireland (my personal fave), Christie Brinkley, Cheryl Tiegs, and Elle McPherson. Went south in the 90's and never recovered.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:55 pm

BroncoCat wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:47 pm
The Sporting News when it was on newsprint and had the updated baseball stats each week plus blurbs on each team was a big part of my childhood.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:37 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:55 pm
BroncoCat wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:47 pm
The Sporting News when it was on newsprint and had the updated baseball stats each week plus blurbs on each team was a big part of my childhood.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.