Great Northern Brewery???

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Great Northern Brewery???

Post by RickRund » Fri May 18, 2018 6:58 pm

In about three weeks we will be in Whitefish for a couple of days with our Daughter and Son in Law. One place I want to check out is Great Northern Brewery. Yes or no??? I like a brew with TASTE. NO sours or Gose. Is this a place worth stopping by? Patti, Steve or Lisa would go for a Hefe', Patti also would like a Bourbon Barrel... Recommendations??
Thanks...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Great Northern Brewery???

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 22, 2018 10:19 am

I'd suggest either the Flathead Lake Brewery in Bigfork or the one in C Falls. The Great Northern can't seem to keep brewmeisters and personnally I wouldn't slop the pigs with what they call beer in the Great Northern. If you are limited as to where to go in Whitefish, the Bonzai is decent and has a fair product. Just my preference though so take it for what it's worth.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue May 22, 2018 10:32 am

Tamarack is right down the road. I’m a big fan of their stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu May 31, 2018 2:02 pm

Those are all good but I usually hang out at the Bulldog Saloon. Their wings in that Huckleberry Barbecue sauce are the best I have ever eaten. Not sure how many I have eaten at one time but it has to be in the 30's.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:13 am

We did go into Great Northern. Could not find seating for our group of four. To me it looked like a "standard bar". Were not at all impressed so we just walked out. Wished I had opened my phone and gone to Bonsai to give it a try. And may give Bulldog a shot next trip.
We did eat at Casey's and it was ok, not anything memorable. Our next night we had dinner at Ciao Mamba's and it was a better meal.
All in all a really nice weekend. Next trip there we may take the extra driving time and hit the Kalispell breweries. Amazing how all that area has exploded. Well heck, last time I was there was 1975 when Park High played Columbia Falls in the semis of the State A Football playoffs.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:40 am

RickRund wrote:We did go into Great Northern. Could not find seating for our group of four. To me it looked like a "standard bar". Were not at all impressed so we just walked out. Wished I had opened my phone and gone to Bonsai to give it a try. And may give Bulldog a shot next trip.
We did eat at Casey's and it was ok, not anything memorable. Our next night we had dinner at Ciao Mamba's and it was a better meal.
All in all a really nice weekend. Next trip there we may take the extra driving time and hit the Kalispell breweries. Amazing how all that area has exploded. Well heck, last time I was there was 1975 when Park High played Columbia Falls in the semis of the State A Football playoffs.
Glad you found a decent meal in Whitefish. Try the Three Rivers (or whatever it actually is on Nucleus Ave. in C Falls next time...pretty pricey like everything in the Gallatin now but it's okay). Actually, the best breakfast in the Flathead is Cary Finberg's place, the Columbia on Nucleus and the Back Room-Nite Owl has decent dinners.

East shore near Polson has the best places and chefs though.

The transplants have pretty much taken over up there too as you noted.

*Edit. Mr. Ruis is remodeling the Bandit in C Falls and it ought to be a great steak house and sports bar, something the Flathead really needs, in my opinion.

WolfPtCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WolfPtCat » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:47 pm

Looks like there might be some confusion here...or maybe not.

Great Northern Brewery (buckin horse logo) - don't know anything about...can't comment good or bad
Great Northern Bar & Grill (mountain goat/railroad logo) - Is a "standard bar"....a good one! Live music, food, tv's. I don't think they make any of beer in-house. They've been open for a long time 50+ yrs

Wherever you went, the fact that you couldn't immediately find a table for four....might be a good thing. Means the place is busy. Might even mean the place is good.
But if I'm thirsty and all I want is a beer, I don't wait in line...I'll go to the place next door.