Great Falls sign ordinance

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

Great Falls sign ordinance

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:48 pm

I found this article interesting. The KFC guy sure seems proud of his great... big... tall rotating bucket sign. I'm not quite following his theory that sign ordinances are somehow "anti-business" (as everyone has to follow them, so the net effect on the businesses is a zero-sum -- it's just that you streets don't look like a poor man's Las Vegas Blvd.).

This is one thing that Bozeman has done right, in my opinion. Lewistown actually has a similar ordinance, and even though McDonald's complained when they first moved in, they adapted to it, and nobody has had any problem finding their store on main street. At the same time, the trees and nice architecture of the street aren't marred by a great big chunch of red and orange glowing plastic. It's quite nice.

The worst town I have seen in terms of signage has been Twin Falls, Idaho. There's one street that all you can see for miles is a forest of huge signs lining the street. It's depressing, especially since that Snake River area is so beautiful just a few miles away. It's amazing how badly a lack of city planning can mess up a great view.

The big gaudy retail sign thing is a relic of the past -- good riddance.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/p ... 50302/1002

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:03 pm

I agree, these types of ordinances are good for the city and like you said, really have no effect on businesses. The only argument that I have ever had with these types of ordinances is the effect on existing businesses that are not in compliance, i.e. cost of new signs etc. But it appears that Great Falls has put alot of thought into this proposal and has dealt with that well:
Use of nonconforming signs and billboards will be allowed until Dec. 31, 2014, although an "incentive program" will encourage earlier compliance. A change in occupancy, exterior renovation or expansion also will affect the 10-year grace period for nonconforming signs and trigger the new code.
Sounds like a well-thought out proposal that could really help the city of Great Falls look a little nicer in the commercial districts.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:21 pm

I was very proud when he said "Bozeman is the worst". Being worst is sure nicer than looking to the sky for rotating buckets of chicken! I love our sign code, and it sure isn't hurting business, judging by the local economy.

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:25 pm

Bozeman had a pretty good grandfather period also. The biggest hold out now is the %#$@ owner of the Lewis and Clark Motel. He'd rather let his sign fall apart at a geologic rate than spruce up the community. Don't ever stay there until that monstrosity comes down.