Etha Hotel construction in Bozeman

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Etha Hotel construction in Bozeman

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:10 pm

Article in this morning's Chronicle says an 8-story hotel is being built on top of old Armory on Mendenhall. Gonna look like a skyscraper. Tallest building downtown is maybe six stories (Baxter).

An Element Hotel is also going in on Mendenhall, but I'm not sure exactly where. Anyone know? The old Imperial 400 is being renovated this summer. Element uses LEED construction.

gocats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Etha Hotel construction in Bozeman

Post by gocats » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:02 pm

I think the one on Mendenhall is where they're tearing down the old Kenton-Noble store.

Alcohol doesn't make you fat, it makes you lean.... on chairs, tables and random ugly people....

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:00 am

I don't want Bozeman growing "up". I like the fact there is no tall buildings, and if I remember correctly isn't there a city ordinance on how tall business signs can be? Was/is there any such ordinance about building height?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:57 am

yes, but they got a waiver to build taller

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:05 am

I'm personally really excited to see three new hotels coming into downtown. This seems long overdue.

Now we can get drunk downtown and not have to worry about how to get back to our hotel!

I also do think that a limited number of taller buildings in downtown areas like that is good in terms of creating a dense, walkable area. It should be really good for businesses down there and make it a real draw for bringing money from outside of Bozeman into Bozeman.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:11 am

catamaran wrote:yes, but they got a waiver to build taller
Not that I mind, but why were they given a waiver?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:26 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
I think it was because the city wanted the hotel to get built (for business purposes and to clean up the eyesore that was the old National Guard building), and that allowing it to be that height was the only way the project would be financially viable. I think it was originally going to be higher, but this is the compromise height.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:47 am

Bay Area Cat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
I think it was because the city wanted the hotel to get built (for business purposes and to clean up the eyesore that was the old National Guard building), and that allowing it to be that height was the only way the project would be financially viable. I think it was originally going to be higher, but this is the compromise height.
I figured that might be why, but wasn't the NG armory on the Nat'l Reg of Historic Places?

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:50 am

Never mind. I just saw artists depiction. The armory sits out in front, but is connected to the hotel, which abuts the alley. Looks cool and with the high rise sitting back it doesn't appear to be so big.

The Baxter sign is still higher.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:27 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
I figured that might be why, but wasn't the NG armory on the Nat'l Reg of Historic Places?
Being on the historical register doesn't preclude it from being renovated (or even torn down, for that matter).

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
Being on the historical register doesn't preclude it from being renovated (or even torn down, for that matter).
Not much does. I just figured Bozemanites (view shed, noise shed) would've raised a big stink.

gocats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by gocats » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:40 pm

We don't need any taller buildings downtown. The ones already there screw up my Sirius/xm radio enough.

Alcohol doesn't make you fat, it makes you lean.... on chairs, tables and random ugly people....

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:02 am

Bay Area Cat wrote:I'm personally really excited to see three new hotels coming into downtown. This seems long overdue.

Now we can get drunk downtown and not have to worry about how to get back to our hotel!

I also do think that a limited number of taller buildings in downtown areas like that is good in terms of creating a dense, walkable area. It should be really good for businesses down there and make it a real draw for bringing money from outside of Bozeman into Bozeman.
I agree completely. I think these hotels will be a great addition to downtown Bozeman for many reasons, including the one you mentioned. I've always wondered why they've never built any hotels near the campus. I presume it must be a zoning issue, but what is the rationale for that? There's other commercial development, so why not a hotel or two. It would be really nice for anyone who attends events on campus, whether it be football games, or concerts, or conferences, or whatever.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:24 pm

John K wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:I'm personally really excited to see three new hotels coming into downtown. This seems long overdue.

I agree completely. I think these hotels will be a great addition to downtown Bozeman for many reasons, including the one you mentioned. I've always wondered why they've never built any hotels near the campus. I presume it must be a zoning issue, but what is the rationale for that? There's other commercial development, so why not a hotel or two. It would be really nice for anyone who attends events on campus, whether it be football games, or concerts, or conferences, or whatever.
I also am very excited for these hotels to come into downtown Bozeman. These hotels will add a really cool boutique feel the downtown Bozeman that will be very unique for Montana.

John, the reason no hotel has been built up by campus is you only have a certain captive audience and MSU cannot sustain a hotel on it's own there's not enough traffic. Furthermore you need restaurants and you need other businesses to help a hotel so occupancy in the nonpeak seasons. Lastly a hotel up by campus would have a little to no walk in traffic which is why most of the hotels are centered around the interstate so they can capture the walk in traffic. Hopefully this makes sense as I'm driving across the state and don't have time to check my spelling.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level