UM hires new president

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

UM hires new president

Post by CatRowdy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:43 am

Congrats to UM and the Board of Regents for arriving at a selection for President of UM. Looks to me like a reasonable choice. In my opinion it's going to take a businessman to get UM back on track. Hiring a non-traditional candidate that has not spent their entire life in academia; one who has real life experience and actual business discipline should be able to provide direction to a school who has seen a 24% drop in enrollment since 2010. It will be interesting to see what steps president Seth Bodnar takes to right a ship that clearly is listing.

Bobcatsinmso

Re: UM hires new president

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:55 am

There are certainly some who will disagree with this choice. One group of employees I spoke with yesterday pointed out that a non-traditional candidate, with absolutely no experience running a University, has little knowledge of how life in an academic setting, and who's only job experience is in the business world, is exactly what is going on in Washington DC. The parallel they were referring to was very clear. they just hired a Donald Trump to lead their precious little liberal arts school. The fear mongering is just beginning, and fully half the entire employees are going to be fearing for their jobs. The fact that a lot of people will now possibly be held accountable for such trivial things as accountability, productivity and measurable academic progress will have a lot of panties in a bunch. I had to hold my tongue during this conversation, but I for one feel there are WAY to many State and city employees in this town who are basically useless bodies being paid too much money, reaping awesome benefits with no fear of being fired, because they are entrenched, or tenured if you will, in their positions. Perhaps this will be the chance to drain the swamp that is the entitled government employees of the U of M, but I wont hold my breath. I will be watching this one closely, and it may prove to be quite entertaining as well.

:coffee:

I don't always talk to University of Missoula graduates, but when I do I usually order fries.
Character Accountability Toughness State #beattheskyownthestate ESG-GCG FTG #oveRTD

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:37 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:There are certainly some who will disagree with this choice. One group of employees I spoke with yesterday pointed out that a non-traditional candidate, with absolutely no experience running a University, has little knowledge of how life in an academic setting, and who's only job experience is in the business world, is exactly what is going on in Washington DC. The parallel they were referring to was very clear. they just hired a Donald Trump to lead their precious little liberal arts school. The fear mongering is just beginning, and fully half the entire employees are going to be fearing for their jobs. The fact that a lot of people will now possibly be held accountable for such trivial things as accountability, productivity and measurable academic progress will have a lot of panties in a bunch. I had to hold my tongue during this conversation, but I for one feel there are WAY to many State and city employees in this town who are basically useless bodies being paid too much money, reaping awesome benefits with no fear of being fired, because they are entrenched, or tenured if you will, in their positions. Perhaps this will be the chance to drain the swamp that is the entitled government employees of the U of M, but I wont hold my breath. I will be watching this one closely, and it may prove to be quite entertaining as well.

Universities have changed in the last twenty years. I the past most donations were for scholarships and the like. Look at our donations, they have been going towards infrastructure. The legislature won't pony up the money to rebuild Romney. How did UM get the football stadium? I don't know if a guy that does not know how universities work will be a good thing, he will need to listen to good advisors. While I agree with you on accountability and such, I also think the university will never work just like other businesses. Even other businesses don't work like other businesses.

Joining the whiners club till we never lose a game again.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:37 am

dont know anything about the new hire. but i would think that the commish of higher ed would have said to the committee....."what qualities does waded cruzado have that makes her successful at msu?" and look for that in the candidates. waded cruzado will have a building named after her some day.

The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by The Butcher » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:52 am

This is a roll of the dice in my opinion. He has had some serious success in for-profit, but will that translate into success in non-profit education? He is obviously intelligent, so perhaps that transition won't be difficult for him. But it is also a reasonable question to ask "does he understand how higher education works differently?" I thought the choice was pretty bold, but honestly it isn't MSU so I don't care that much.

WetWaderMT

Post by WetWaderMT » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Who's going to get paid $320,000 because "that's what it takes to get this caliber of applicant" with NO experience! Isn't there a budget problem in Helena AND Missoula?!?!

#-o :-^

turkey_johnson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by turkey_johnson » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:57 pm

Starting too like they just hired the "Trump" of UM.

MSU COE '09

Bobcat Club Member

turkey_johnson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by turkey_johnson » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:01 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:There are certainly some who will disagree with this choice. One group of employees I spoke with yesterday pointed out that a non-traditional candidate, with absolutely no experience running a University, has little knowledge of how life in an academic setting, and who's only job experience is in the business world, is exactly what is going on in Washington DC. The parallel they were referring to was very clear. they just hired a Donald Trump to lead their precious little liberal arts school. The fear mongering is just beginning, and fully half the entire employees are going to be fearing for their jobs. The fact that a lot of people will now possibly be held accountable for such trivial things as accountability, productivity and measurable academic progress will have a lot of panties in a bunch. I had to hold my tongue during this conversation, but I for one feel there are WAY to many State and city employees in this town who are basically useless bodies being paid too much money, reaping awesome benefits with no fear of being fired, because they are entrenched, or tenured if you will, in their positions. Perhaps this will be the chance to drain the swamp that is the entitled government employees of the U of M, but I wont hold my breath. I will be watching this one closely, and it may prove to be quite entertaining as well.

Some amazing points here. He was on the board of GE which is not doing do well and he feels firing 30 lectures and hiring BH is a good choice. Good news for UM he has nothing to do but go up from here.

MSU COE '09

Bobcat Club Member

Rich K
Member # Retired

Post by Rich K » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:11 am

Grief counselling for those getting the axe at UM?

http://missoulian.com/news/local/nearly ... op-story-1

Maybe they should send in the counselors they used to deal with the trauma of getting their feelers hurt when Mike Adams visited....
“I think that will definitely go a long way to helping,” Gordon Sterling said. “I’m also, I feel like there’s this sense of trauma. And I don’t know how we’re gonna get past that.”

Anne Delaney, from health professions, agreed: “It sounds like grief counseling. I wish we didn’t have to say it that way, but things have died. We’ve lost things that we used to hold dear, you know?”

Bowman said grief is her specialty, and it’s always more difficult to deal with grief when it feels like it was someone else’s fault. She said she feels there’s a sense of that on campus.

“In the budget meeting, somebody made the comment that there’s too many faculty,” Bowman said. “Well, there wasn’t too many faculty until there was too few students — whose fault is too few students? So I think you’re absolutely right, there is this sense of trauma, that we have all these losses, we have all these changes that we didn’t ask for and that feel a bit undeserved and that I do think makes it feel harder. How do we get past that?”

The problem with that grief, Bowman said, is that she and the other faculty understand why the cuts must be made. But it isn’t easy to accept.

WeedKillinCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by WeedKillinCat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Sounds like 50 FTE will be gone. I hate that they call it the "flagship". The only thing that the University has in common is a ship and that ship is sinking! Maybe some of those folks could come over to Bozeman and teach there.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-a ... the-latest

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:36 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:Sounds like 50 FTE will be gone. I hate that they call it the "flagship". The only thing that the University has in common is a ship and that ship is sinking! Maybe some of those folks could come over to Bozeman and teach there.

Do we have a dance program?

Joining the whiners club till we never lose a game again.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:38 pm

allcat wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:Sounds like 50 FTE will be gone. I hate that they call it the "flagship". The only thing that the University has in common is a ship and that ship is sinking! Maybe some of those folks could come over to Bozeman and teach there.

Do we have a dance program?
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro