Fab 4! VB @ Wichita State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Fab 4! VB @ Wichita State

Post by CatBot » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:54 pm

CatBot

Re: Fab 4! VB @ Wichita State

Post by CatBot » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:33 pm

uatg
New Recruit

Post by uatg » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:35 pm

If anyone wasn't able to see the Great 8 game against Wyoming on Wednesday, I HIGHLY recommend watching the entirety, even if in chunks of time if necessary.

Comments:
1. It is living evidence that the 'Cats experience at the Big Sky Championship (tough loss to Weber) has made them better. It is an amazing, exciting performance! Wyoming was outcoached and outplayed starting midway through the 1st set. You could see it on the Wyoming players faces versus our 'Cats toward the end....

2. Hats off to the Wyoming Cowgirls. That is a GOOD team that played three Freshman through the match. They are going to be really good next year.

3. The Wyoming commentators were so respectful of our teams competitiveness and did a great job of color commentating throughout I thought. I don't think they expected Wyoming to lose going in, but they recognized early on that they were in for a fight, and never talked down about our team. That's refreshing. Although, the one commentator kept saying 'Montana', instead of 'Montana State', which was sort of agonizing, but kinda funny also. Maybe they were confused by the Wyoming Brown and Gold legacy ex-griz jersey colors. :lol:

4. To see the replay: Download the Mountain West Network app to your favorite streaming device and locate event replays. Find MSU vs Wyoming (obviously), and get ready.

Saturday should be a fun match to watch!

rfischer94
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by rfischer94 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:25 pm

CatBot wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:54 pm
=D^ =D^ =D^

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:55 pm

Nice interview with Coach Houk.....

https://www.womensnivc.com/news/montana ... -2023-nivc

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:25 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:55 pm
Nice interview with Coach Houk.....

https://www.womensnivc.com/news/montana ... -2023-nivc
Nice share.

I am so happy for this group to have been able to put this year together.

Continue the run.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:40 pm

Reposting the link to the Wichita St forum. Lots of good posters over there. I suspect they will start digging into a scout of MSU soon.

https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita-st ... ment/page7

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:58 am

RH: Lamb Built Program On Getting Points Where Many Do Not

https://goshockers.com/news/2023/12/8/t ... o-not.aspx
The RoundHouse | 12/8/2023 5:03:00 PM

Story LinksBy Paul Suellentrop

Many volleyball teams think of the position as a middle blocker, with a heavy emphasis on the block.

"Lambo likes to consider us middle attackers," Wichita State middle Natalie Foster said.

Foster sums up a significant story in coach Chris Lamb's 24 seasons at Wichita State. When Lamb arrived, he came with a plan to take an underutilized position and produce scoring. While he couldn't recruit the physically imposing outside hitters who dominate college volleyball, he could turn average athletes into valuable scorers in the middle.

"I don't think we could do the same dance routine as our opponents when you know they have better dancers," he said. "You better have a different routine. More attempts in the middle is one of those attempts to play differently."

The Shocker middles are in the spotlight again as Wichita State (24-8) plays Montana State (24-8) in the semifinals of the National Invitational Volleyball Championship at 1 p.m. Saturday (ESPN+) at Koch Arena. The winner advances to play either USF (22-11) or UTEP (24-9), who play Sunday.

Wichita State advanced with a sweep of Drake in which Foster hit .522 with no errors for 12 kills and middle Morgan Stout added 14 kills and a .444 attack percentage. In a sweep of Arkansas State to open NIVC play, Stout hit .750 with no errors for nine kills and Foster contributed eight kills, also with no errors, and hit .500. (more)

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:07 pm

Each time a team advances in a tournament it should get more difficult to win, and this Shocker team will definitely be more difficult for the Bobcats to handle. They are awesome at digging out kill shots and the setters are nearly perfect to their numerous monstrous spikers. Oh, and their setters are better at the surprise dump than anything the Cats have seen. A tall task for our ladies but they can do it and thank goodness we have coach Houk to get them as prepared as they can be.

GO CATS!!! Give it all you've got!

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:29 pm

Lost the first set 25-21. Close all the way just couldn't get on any runs.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

TheJoeGoldstone
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by TheJoeGoldstone » Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:44 pm

Cats tied 12-12 in 2nd set, in spite of 5 service errors. Go Cats!

Blue & Gold for 51 yrs

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:40 pm

Well bummer. WSU wins set 3, 25-20 thus wins match.

I think 11 service errors….ouch! That really hurts in a big match like that.

WSU has only lost 1 set in 4 matches…pretty salty team!

Regardless….great job ladies! Bobcat proud of all of you!

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:23 pm

We should all be very proud of this team and how far they went in this tournament. Of course you always want to win the conference tourney but both the seniors and the players coming back next year benefitted more from playing in the NIVC than they would've from playing in the NCAA. They came a long way this year and next year they will be just that much better.

Thanks for the record setting season and playing your hearts out ladies!
Thanks to all the seniors for your entire careers!
Congratulations coaches!

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

TheJoeGoldstone
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by TheJoeGoldstone » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:31 pm

Thanks to the entire volleyball team & coaches for a great season. I was very impressed with the winning streak they had going into the end of the Big Sky season and tournament. Next year’s team is looking very tough already.

Blue & Gold for 51 yrs

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:40 pm

Incredible season for the gals. Though they lost, each set was competitive. It's amazing the results we're seeing simply from having an AD who cares about winning.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:27 pm

I seriously enjoyed watching this squad this year and I'm very thankful for ESPN+. I saw a match live for the first time as well. Incredible year and I appreciate that this is actually what college athletics should look like. I'm thankful for how this team was able to balance out how disgusted I am with NCAA football and major basketball with this volleyball team competing at the highest level and doing everything the right way. Definitely makes me proud to be a Bobcat.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:19 am

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:30 am

Congrats to Kira! Wichita State swept UTEP 3-0 in El Paso to win the tournament, they went 15-1 in sets through the tournament so were pretty clearly the best team in the field.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:51 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:30 am
Congrats to Kira! Wichita State swept UTEP 3-0 in El Paso to win the tournament, they went 15-1 in sets through the tournament so were pretty clearly the best team in the field.
Thanks for the update. I had missed that final. Cats actually had an actual set point against Wichita St, so that's accomplishment in my mind.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:57 pm

CatBot wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:51 am
MSU01 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:30 am
Thanks for the update. I had missed that final. Cats actually had an actual set point against Wichita St, so that's accomplishment in my mind.
A big congratulations to Kira, that is a well deserved honor.
Wichita State did prove themselves to be the best team in that tournament. The Bobcats played them as tough as any team they met and in fact challenged them more than UTEP did in the championship match. That championship match was a home game for UTEP who hadn't lost a home match all year. Even with that home court advantage UTEP didn't come as close to winning any set as the Bobcats did, and the Cats had to do it on Wichita's home court where the Shockers were undefeated this year.

Again that tournament was great experience and exposure for the players and the volleyball program. Despite the loss of some key senior players I expect this team to be even better in the coming year and beyond.