Worst announcers I have ever observed

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Worst announcers I have ever observed

Post by aucat » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:20 pm

Last night my wife and I attended the Brawl of the WIld and due to a back problem had to leave with the Bobcats up 2-1.
Got home in time to watch the last game on ESPN+. It seems that at least HALF of the telecast during the final game the
two announcers totally ignored the action on the court and told inane stories about this that and the other.

When they finally decided to get back to announcing the game the Cats were up about 15-6 and they didn't even know what the score was. They had to look up to see who was ahead and when they did the male announcer immediately said "nice 3-0 run by Montana" when it was actually MSU
that had made the run.

Who are these people? Do they actuallyl get paid money for going on the air and instead of BROADCASTING the sporting even, tell stories
about their personal lives that no one gives a crap about?

Great job Bobcats. Sorry a good deal of the action, at least in the last game, was ignored by the "broadcasters."

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Worst announcers I have ever observed

Post by DMMDCats » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:25 pm

They are a disgrace to MSU Volleyball.

I turned the volume off 2 mins in and watched in silence.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:55 pm

Really really bad. With apologies to TC and Saccat who are in this business and have tried to help all of us gain empathy, but damn.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:08 am

The female announcer Diana started out calling WBB games on her own last year and it was not well-received, fortunately they brought in SACCAT to call the games with her as the color commentator and it got a lot better. I don't like to speak too negatively of someone who is doing a job I've never attempted, but let's just say she has a lot of room to grow as a play-by-play broadcaster.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:44 pm

MSU athletics is on it with a meeting scheduled to talk with those 2 announcers. I got a call from someone whose name can easily be found on the athletics staff directory who assured me that they themselves had listened to the end of that match and were well aware of how bad it was. I gave a few precise details and examples to drive home the point. The meat of the call took less than 3 minutes after which we talked a few other Bobcat things.
Hopefully there will be a marked improvement for these final 4 games of the regular season. It's probably best to not expect too much because these 2 announcers have consistently shown they just don't have the chops for the job they were hired to do. Listen to other schools VB announcers and it becomes clear that ours are the worst. Opinion stated, supported by fact.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:55 am

The color guy is horrible. I'd rather just have the one announcer. He adds nothing of value.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:57 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:55 am
The color guy is horrible. I'd rather just have the one announcer. He adds nothing of value.
And no, it didn't improve last week. We watched the NAU game from home on Saturday and there was little improvement. He doesn't even follow the action and his comments are irrelevant.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:27 pm

I don't think you're being fair. While they continue to be very poor announcers they certainly improved from that last set of the brawl of the wild match. For the first 23 points of that last set they only gave any play by play during 5 rallies, during the other 18 rallies they were talking about trivia. For both of the matches this week they pretty much stayed focused on the action on the court. It is correct to say that the guy doing color is the weak link of a very weak pair of announcers.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!