Better than ever - what it's about.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mchammer
BobcatNation Team Captain

Better than ever - what it's about.

Post by mchammer » Thu May 02, 2024 9:30 am

Direct comparison is possible with Track and Field. Performances are measured with precision, and recorded for posterity. Both 2024 Bobcat teams are the best MSU has ever produced. You can compare their best performances and score them on paper in dual competition. Currently the '24 men score 102-93 against '22. Our women were 110-90 a few weeks ago against '22 and have surely widened the gap after the Pocatello meet last week. The '22 teams were the first to outscore the 2003 women and 2005 men.

'24 may not win BSC titles as those teams did, but they are better. So is the competition, especially NAU. The NCAA lists aren't so different at the top but the depth seems to get better every year. The 50th ranked performance is one way to evaluate depth. More teams are developing talent faster than ever. The covid year allowed many to develop further with another year of eligibility.

Another way to evaluate team depth is squad ranking. A squad performance is a team's best four athlete's marks in an event averaged. Bobcat men have the top squad in the steeplechase, which kept our men ranked in the top 25 nationally for three weeks. We're pretty good at all the distance events and stack up well in other events, like the hammer.

With more than 300 teams in DI chipping away at you it's a real challenge to stay that high on the list. Our men are #34 this week. Our men placed 25th at the 2022 NCAA Championships, tying Oregon and Texas A&M. We may not surpass that this season but dual scoring is the best measuring stick. I suppose a team could finish high at NCAA's with a small group of elite athletes but that's not a real team.

https://www.ustfccca.org/team-rankings-polls-central

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Better than ever - what it's about.

Post by Montanabob » Thu May 02, 2024 10:13 pm

so what you are saying, is the men are behind NAU, and NAU is the only FCS team, mostly P4.5, in the top 25.
the woman not so much but improving.

It cant hurt recruiting with the IPF and will surely help track. keep on rolling. maybe we should start touting our track team as a power program.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

mchammer

Post by mchammer » Fri May 03, 2024 2:44 pm

I heard from an assistant that Coach Weese evaluated our team against the PAC 12 using cloudtrainingsystems.com. It indicated that if our men had competed in the Pac 12 conference championship last week that we would have placed third. So yes, our men are doing well, better than ever.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 05, 2024 7:20 am

mchammer wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 2:44 pm
I heard from an assistant that Coach Weese evaluated our team against the PAC 12 using cloudtrainingsystems.com. It indicated that if our men had competed in the Pac 12 conference championship last week that we would have placed third. So yes, our men are doing well, better than ever.
Just on face value that’s amazing. The team race on the men’s side is going to be interesting at the BSC meet. Being at home gives MSU just that much more of a chance to win it, to point out the obvious. May 8-11.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

mchammer

Post by mchammer » Sun May 05, 2024 12:57 pm

I ran the numbers myself for Bobcat Men in the PAC 12 and the current season's bests lists put us at 5th with 82 points. It's interesting to see that we would handle the likes of Washington State, Cal, UCLA, Arizona State, Colorado, and Stanford.

Going into the BSC Championships this week the numbers equate to these Top 5 team scores for men: MSU 221.5, NAU 177.5, Weber 91.5, UM 62.5, Idaho 60. Women: NAU 224, MSU 176.5, ISU 82.5, Weber 65, UM 56.5. I think NAU's men can do more than this, especially in the distances. But we're in this against a very strong team. We last won in 2005 at Flagstaff, by 56 points. We've been second or third many times.

If you would like to be there as an official contact teague.peck@msubobcats.com He is always looking for help and some positions require no experience.
Mike Carignan

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun May 05, 2024 7:26 pm

mchammer wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 12:57 pm
I ran the numbers myself for Bobcat Men in the PAC 12 and the current season's bests lists put us at 5th with 82 points. It's interesting to see that we would handle the likes of Washington State, Cal, UCLA, Arizona State, Colorado, and Stanford.

Going into the BSC Championships this week the numbers equate to these Top 5 team scores for men: MSU 221.5, NAU 177.5, Weber 91.5, UM 62.5, Idaho 60. Women: NAU 224, MSU 176.5, ISU 82.5, Weber 65, UM 56.5. I think NAU's men can do more than this, especially in the distances. But we're in this against a very strong team. We last won in 2005 at Flagstaff, by 56 points. We've been second or third many times.

If you would like to be there as an official contact teague.peck@msubobcats.com He is always looking for help and some positions require no experience.
Mike Carignan
track and field we do better than cross country

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back