Lones Wigger Honored

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Lones Wigger Honored

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:28 pm

Not sure which category this fits in so posting it to General Bobcat News. I was reading the local paper from Fort Benton this week. Nice article about Lones Wigger. Lones turns 80 years old in August and USA Shooting is renaming their headquarters the "Lones Wigger Legacy Hall & Shooting Center" and just in February they honored him with an endowment in his name for Olympic sport shooting training. I drive by Carter every so often and see the sign of his Gold Medal achievements but did not know the full story... perhaps many others on this site do.

Lones graduated from Montana State in the 50s. He was in ROTC and was All-American in small bore rifles. He represented the U.S. in every Olympics from 1968 to 1980 winning two gold medals and one silver medal. He held or co-held 29 world records. He won 58 National Championships, 24 World Championships, and 111 medals in International Competition (more than any other competitor in the world). He is the only shooter to ever be elected into the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame (2008). He carried the Olympic Torch in 1996 and 2002. Served two tours in Vietnam, one tour using his agronomy degree, and in 1971, he ran the U.S. Army Sniper School in Vietnam.

Interesting reading the different online stories. No doubt he is one of the best there was during his day.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Re: Lones Wigger Honored

Post by 77matcat » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:44 am

Didnt know about mr Wigger. Very impressive.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Just a follow-up on earlier note, that Lones Wigger passed away.

Nice article and write-up on MontanaSports.com.

http://www.montanasports.com/2017/12/15 ... sses-away/

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:09 pm

Very nice story. Sorry to learn Mr. Wigger passed away. Very glad he was still living when the headquarters name change was announced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk