2024 Transfer Portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Post by AFCAT » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:31 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:32 pm
msu_agfan wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:27 pm
DwaineF wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:01 am
Idaho State Men's team has 7 players in the portal. I haven't seen anything indicating that they made a coaching change. Did I miss something?
Now they are up to 8
Who's their coach, Attila the Hun? That is an evacuation.
As an MSU basketball fan, I can’t relate……………..oh, wait!

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:22 pm

Here are the Big Sky players in the portal so far according to https://verbalcommits.com/transfers

EWU: None
Idaho: Quinn Denker, Emmett Neal Jr.
ISU: Maleek Arrington, Gavin Gilstrap, Jordan Hansen, Trent Johnson, Turner Livingston, Kolton Mitchell, Briggs Ranstrom, Miguel Tomley
UM: None
MSU: None
NAU: None
UNC: Dejour Reaves
PSU: Kendall Munson
Sac: Austin Patterson, Duncan Powell
Weber: Cole Lake

Denker was Idaho's leading scorer this year, Neal was a bench player. Tomley and Arrington were ISU's second and third leading scorers while the rest are bench guys, but that has to be a concerning number of players to lose without a coaching change. Reaves for UNC was their second leading scorer and second-team All Big Sky. Munson was a bench player for PSU. Powell and Patterson were both starters for Sac and were their leading scorer and fourth leading scorer respectively. Lake for Weber barely played.

So far, no players have announced they are transferring from the Portal to a Big Sky school.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:48 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:40 pm
While browsing the current transfer portal list, I noticed a 6'11" center from NMSU in the portal by the name of Yaak Yaak. If ever there was a player who seems destined for the state of Montana he is it. No news on if there's anyone named Libby Libby in the women's portal.
We could sign him and give him the keys to the city and make him the honorary Mayor.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:16 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:22 pm
Here are the Big Sky players in the portal so far according to https://verbalcommits.com/transfers

ISU: Maleek Arrington, Gavin Gilstrap, Jordan Hansen, Trent Johnson, Turner Livingston, Kolton Mitchell, Briggs Ranstrom, Miguel Tomley

Denker was Idaho's leading scorer this year, Neal was a bench player. Tomley and Arrington were ISU's second and third leading scorers while the rest are bench guys, but that has to be a concerning number of players to lose without a coaching change. Reaves for UNC was their second leading scorer and second-team All Big Sky. Munson was a bench player for PSU. Powell and Patterson were both starters for Sac and were their leading scorer and fourth leading scorer respectively. Lake for Weber barely played.

So far, no players have announced they are transferring from the Portal to a Big Sky school.
Makes me wonder if any of these guys Logie maybe interested in recruiting?

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:53 pm

I saw Idaho has offered to at least one of the players from Idaho State. What is the current recruiting calendar looking like? Will we see Logie offer anyone in the next week, or month? I'm so bad about knowing these things, and will throw this up to guys like mslacat!!

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:18 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:20 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:56 pm
Malea Egan in the portal. Not sure I understand what some of these youngsters are thinking.
"I want mine and I want it now"??? Patience is a virtue pretty much lost on Gen Z.
I agree with you completely, except that I don't think it's 100% on Gen Z. I think parents shell out a ton of money for their kid to play travel basketball, then they win some tournament in Denver and think their kid is good enough to play for UCONN. "She guarded the girl who's going to Texas and pretty much shut her down" is the kind of thing you hear from these parents all the time. So they "let" their kid "settle" for MSU, and when they don't start and score 25 a game, it's the program's fault for not identifying talent. Meanwhile, the parent got a text back in December from an assistant coach at a bigger program saying "we really liked her", so they tell their daughter they're playing at the wrong place. Yeah kids want instant success, but parents can be so delusional sometimes. To be clear, I'm NOT saying this is the case with the Egan girl...I don't know her or her family.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:25 pm

MSU01 wrote:

I thought Zephir is a portal guy who committed to Cats. Maybe you meant Bik Sky to Big Sky?

Sports is not bigger than life

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by lv2hoop » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:42 pm

msu_agfan wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:53 pm
I saw Idaho has offered to at least one of the players from Idaho State. What is the current recruiting calendar looking like? Will we see Logie offer anyone in the next week, or month? I'm so bad about knowing these things, and will throw this up to guys like mslacat!!
Transfer portal closes on May 1. The month of April is going to be busy for coaches, players, and fans alike.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:33 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:25 pm
MSU01 wrote:

I thought Zephir is a portal guy who committed to Cats. Maybe you meant Bik Sky to Big Sky?
I didn't count Zephir because he's coming from a JC, which does not use the Transfer Portal.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:23 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:18 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:20 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:
Malea Egan in the portal. Not sure I understand what some of these youngsters are thinking.
"I want mine and I want it now"??? Patience is a virtue pretty much lost on Gen Z.
I agree with you completely, except that I don't think it's 100% on Gen Z. I think parents shell out a ton of money for their kid to play travel basketball, then they win some tournament in Denver and think their kid is good enough to play for UCONN. "She guarded the girl who's going to Texas and pretty much shut her down" is the kind of thing you hear from these parents all the time. So they "let" their kid "settle" for MSU, and when they don't start and score 25 a game, it's the program's fault for not identifying talent. Meanwhile, the parent got a text back in December from an assistant coach at a bigger program saying "we really liked her", so they tell their daughter they're playing at the wrong place. Yeah kids want instant success, but parents can be so delusional sometimes. To be clear, I'm NOT saying this is the case with the Egan girl...I don't know her or her family.
Absolutely fair, overbearing sports parents are a plague, that's for certain. And are definitely a part of the larger societal problems with Gen Z.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:04 pm

homeytennis
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by homeytennis » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:11 pm

Denker, Tomley and Arrington were all double digit scorers. ISU is a greasefire.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:52 pm

It went from bad to worse for UNC today with Saint Thomas (1st Team All-Big Sky) joining Dejour Reaves (2nd team) in the portal.

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:01 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:52 pm
It went from bad to worse for UNC today with Saint Thomas (1st Team All-Big Sky) joining Dejour Reaves (2nd team) in the portal.
Saint Thomas had at least 23 offers coming out of highschool, including Mississippi State and TCU. Decided on Loyola Chicago and then last year transfers to UNC for a one and done season. Probably will see considerable interest, but man this is a perfect illustration of why programs at our level are almost penalized for finding talent. They become Big Sky player of the year or whatever, then use that accolade to climb up higher.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:48 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Where did you see that?

Hating the griz since 02.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:55 am

The big sky has become a farm league.

Unfortunately I don’t know if there is a way to fix that. Unless the conference somehow comes up with millions and millions of dollars to give the schools and players. NIL deals, large coaching salaries, etc….

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Mtcatfan

Post by Mtcatfan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:33 am

CodyCat wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:48 am
Mtcatfan wrote:
Where did you see that?
406 Sports originally but it was in the Chronicle as well.

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:06 pm

First to fall. Suspect we’ll see a couple more in the near future

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:12 pm

how many scholarships are now available?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:24 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:12 pm
how many scholarships are now available?
Should just be one right now. Ford, Olmsted, Gair outgoing and Johnson, Zephir incoming unless I'm missing someone.