WBB against Northern Arizona

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: WBB against Northern Arizona

Post by arvcat2 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:23 am

aucat wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:55 pm
HelenaCat wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:57 am
CatRowdy wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:50 pm
aucat wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:22 pm
For those who weren't there NAU had a pretty good cheering section and almost all of them were wearing Lea Beattie's number 15. I thought that was kind of strange. What was the point in doing that? Trying to rub it in our faces that Lea left MSU to go play for NAU?

Anyway, at some point int he second half Lea was hurt and down momentarily and when she did get back up our crowd gave her a nice applause. I thought that was very good sportsmanship on our part.

I don't know why Lea left MSU but that was big loss. I've heard some say that it was because she didn't like being taken in and out so much, but that's just hearsay.
Leia's parents, aunt and uncle and I believe other family members were there. I don't believe in any scenario they were trying to rub it in our faces she left MSU to play for NAU. They attended most of Leia's game here when she played and many of the away games.

And yes there is a lot of speculation why she left; I guess the only way to know would be to ask her directly. As for being a big loss having her go you might want to rethink that as I would suggest having an unhappy player here may be more weight on the program than having her go and replacing her with players who like and enjoy the program.

The Bobcats are playing as a team the best I've ever seen them. They're young in spots but maturing quickly. I would bet with all our injuries and many players out, no one would have predicted we would be ranked 4th at this point in the season. They may just peak at the right time and shock the crap out of you at the tournament.
This. The team chemistry is 1000 percent better than last year. This team is young and certainly struggles on offense many games, but they are getting better each game. I would certainly NAU is the class of the conference this year, but watch out for the Cats over the next several years. We lose Madison next year which will be tough, but add back Lexi and 3 other injured ladies, plus 3 very talented freshman to this group of talented freshman.
I agree with you about the team chemistry but I'm not sure I share your optimism about next year. I certainly hope that you are right. But we will lose Taylor Janssen, KJ Limardo and Madison Hall. That's huge. Yes, we will have Lexi back and that is a big deal. Hopefully some of the young players will continue to develop and the injured players make a strong contribution. But filling the shoes of those three players will be daunting. Anyway, hopefully we end the season on a good note and make a strong showing in the tournament.
It’s not a given that we lose Limardo & Janssen next year as they both have that extra covid year available to them. There are 3 incoming freshman next year so to make room for them, 3 on the current roster will need to be gone. MadJackHall is a given, the two others will be ??

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:55 am

aucat wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:57 am
CatRowdy wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:50 pm
aucat wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:22 pm
For those who weren't there NAU had a pretty good cheering section and almost all of them were wearing Lea Beattie's number 15. I thought that was kind of strange. What was the point in doing that? Trying to rub it in our faces that Lea left MSU to go play for NAU?

Anyway, at some point int he second half Lea was hurt and down momentarily and when she did get back up our crowd gave her a nice applause. I thought that was very good sportsmanship on our part.

I don't know why Lea left MSU but that was big loss. I've heard some say that it was because she didn't like being taken in and out so much, but that's just hearsay.
Leia's parents, aunt and uncle and I believe other family members were there. I don't believe in any scenario they were trying to rub it in our faces she left MSU to play for NAU. They attended most of Leia's game here when she played and many of the away games.

And yes there is a lot of speculation why she left; I guess the only way to know would be to ask her directly. As for being a big loss having her go you might want to rethink that as I would suggest having an unhappy player here may be more weight on the program than having her go and replacing her with players who like and enjoy the program.

The Bobcats are playing as a team the best I've ever seen them. They're young in spots but maturing quickly. I would bet with all our injuries and many players out, no one would have predicted we would be ranked 4th at this point in the season. They may just peak at the right time and shock the crap out of you at the tournament.
This. The team chemistry is 1000 percent better than last year. This team is young and certainly struggles on offense many games, but they are getting better each game. I would certainly NAU is the class of the conference this year, but watch out for the Cats over the next several years. We lose Madison next year which will be tough, but add back Lexi and 3 other injured ladies, plus 3 very talented freshman to this group of talented freshman.
I agree with you about the team chemistry but I'm not sure I share your optimism about next year. I certainly hope that you are right. But we will lose Taylor Janssen, KJ Limardo and Madison Hall. That's huge. Yes, we will have Lexi back and that is a big deal. Hopefully some of the young players will continue to develop and the injured players make a strong contribution. But filling the shoes of those three players will be daunting. Anyway, hopefully we end the season on a good note and make a strong showing in the tournament.
Personally I'll always be optimistic as long as Coach Binford stays at MSU. In no way "should" this team be 8-4 with the talent they've lost due to the transfer portal and injuries over the past 12 months, but here we are. The last time Binford had an incoming freshman class this big and this talented they were playing in the NCAAs as Sophomores.

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:59 pm

aucat wrote:

Ha! I'm not surprised you have no optimism for next year! Hell you didn't think we could beat the griz this year at home.

Now what makes you so sure we will lose Janssen and or Limardo? They both have a Covid year left.
Yes, those two plus Hall are great players but that's college ball, you get them for four seasons (Covid withstanding). So every coach spends tons of time recruiting to replace the greats they have developed. This is how college sports work and with the portal it's a whole new scene.
Next year we should get Lexi back, Limardo and or Janssen could be here, we get Brumfield, Phillip, Hein back. Oh and freshman who will be sophomores with a ton of court experience. The same ones that beat the griz, Eastern Washington, Northern Colorado, Idaho State.... and they'll have a year under their belt. Oh and let's not forget the recruits... Freshman that can come in and make an impact immediately.

Our problem isn't talent... it's the number of scholarships we can offer.

And finally, what do the Cats get for more than four years.... Binford and staff! Coach Binford certainly has earned Bobcat Nations respect. Her teams have proven to be solid contenders year after year!

Get on board, there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic for next year.