WBB against Northern Colorado

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

WBB against Northern Colorado

Post by CatRowdy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:50 am

Big game tomorrow (Thursday) night with the women's team taking on Northern Colorado! Second time the Cats play NCU this season, but this time we should have at least 10 players available versus the 8 we had at last meeting. In addition our freshman have a lot more playing time and experience at the collegiate level. Finally Katie Bussey MSU Hall of Fame player and former assistant coach is now an assistant coach at NCU. Standings and seeding in the Big Sky Tournament on the line!

Come watch and help the Lady Bobcats add another defeat to NCU in the Brick!

Doors open @ 6:00, game @ 7:00!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: WBB against Northern Colorado

Post by MSU01 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:25 am

CatRowdy wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:50 am
Big game tomorrow (Thursday) night with the women's team taking on Northern Colorado! Second time the Cats play NCU this season, but this time we should have at least 10 players available versus the 8 we had at last meeting. In addition our freshman have a lot more playing time and experience at the collegiate level. Finally Katie Bussey MSU Hall of Fame player and former assistant coach is now an assistant coach at NCU. Standings and seeding in the Big Sky Tournament on the line!

Come watch and help the Lady Bobcats add another defeat to NCU in the Brick!

Doors open @ 6:00, game @ 7:00!
I wasn't aware that Katie (Bussey) Mayes was at UNC now, the UNC/NAU weekend is certainly a reunion tour for the Bobcats this year with Beattie and Beasley playing for NAU. Hoping they can get a couple of wins playing at home and stay in contention for the regular season championship.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:26 pm

What happened with Katie Bussey coaching MSU? Was it a difference in coaching philosophy?

2024 Resume dominance

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:59 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:26 pm
What happened with Katie Bussey coaching MSU? Was it a difference in coaching philosophy?
Lots of rumors…I will leave it at that. But yes, probably a big difference in coaching philosophy. Katie hardly ever even smiled last year during games. The two new coaches, Ryan and Devin are a breath of fresh air.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:01 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:59 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:26 pm
Lots of rumors…I will leave it at that. But yes, probably a big difference in coaching philosophy. Katie hardly ever even smiled last year during games. The two new coaches, Ryan and Devin are a breath of fresh air.
The team chemistry is back in spades this year. It’s fun to watch the team having fun and winning games that (because of the roster depletion) they shouldn’t win, instead of vice versa. Good on Coach Bin to steady the ship. 💙💛😺

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:04 pm

I really want to beat NAU Saturday because of the defections of Beasley and Beattie. I understand the portal is the new normal but I don't like kids leaving to another team in the conference.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:10 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:04 pm
I really want to beat NAU Saturday because of the defections of Beasley and Beattie. I understand the portal is the new normal but I don't like kids leaving to another team in the conference.
I couldn’t agree more. Leave abruptly and then stay in conference is really bad form. Beasley is playing for her third team, which is informative. They’ll be overlooking us after playing in Flagstaff. They are far from unbeatable. Beasley and Beattie are starting for NAU, but they ended the year as reserves at MSU. Go, ‘Cats!! 💙💛😺

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:28 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:10 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
I couldn’t agree more. Leave abruptly and then stay in conference is really bad form. Beasley is playing for her third team, which is informative. They’ll be overlooking us after playing in Flagstaff. They are far from unbeatable. Beasley and Beattie are starting for NAU, but they ended the year as reserves at MSU. Go, ‘Cats!! 💙💛😺
Beasley is on her 4th team total - two years at a JC in Texas, then two years at Washington (she entered the portal and transferred to MSU during her second season), one year at MSU and now her final year of playing eligibility at NAU. I agree that it would be great to see MSU win that game, since MSU beat them in the 2022 Big Sky title game NAU has definitely had MSU's number.

4KornerKat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 4KornerKat » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:04 pm

Will Beasley play? Haven't seen her in a box score the last few weeks.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:01 pm

4KornerKat wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:04 pm
Will Beasley play? Haven't seen her in a box score the last few weeks.
Good question. She started when we played them in Flagstaff.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:04 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:28 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:10 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Beasley is on her 4th team total - two years at a JC in Texas, then two years at Washington (she entered the portal and transferred to MSU during her second season), one year at MSU and now her final year of playing eligibility at NAU. I agree that it would be great to see MSU win that game, since MSU beat them in the 2022 Big Sky title game NAU has definitely had MSU's number.
Thanks for the update on Beasley. Wow, four schools. Looking for the honeypot at the end of the rainbow, or whatever it is.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm

Cats win 61-40 in another dominant defensive performance! Huge game coming up Saturday against NAU who beat the Griz in Missoula tonight. Go Cats!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:57 pm

Great defense. UNC relies a lot on threes and we did a great job getting out on them. I think they were 0-10 before they hit their first one. UNC just really had a terrible night-couldn't even make free throws. Madison Hall is just having a monster season-such a great player.

Offense was a mess. So many turnovers. It didn't matter because we turned them over 25 times and out rebounded them, but geez-our offense was so bad at times. Sometimes we're way too unselfish trying make a hero pass instead of just taking an easy jumper. Great to play ugly and still win by 21. A weekend sweep would be huge for this team. Hope we have a big crowd on Saturday for our nemesis NAU.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:08 am

I love this team but their lazy passing, forced passes, passing with no evidence of a reason as to why or where they're even passing, drives me crazy.
Someone mentioned how the Cats in previous years had a bad habit of just chucking the ball at the hoop hoping it would go in, well that is what their passing is like far too often. Sure they got away with it tonight but play like that on Saturday and I guarantee a loss to NAU.

Ladies, please value possessing the ball and stop giving it away.

On a much different note, does Dykstra get fouled about twice as many times as those fouls get called?

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:25 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:08 am

On a much different note, does Dykstra get fouled about twice as many times as those fouls get called?
It sure seems that way. Watching the game tonight there were a number of times she spun to go up to the net and oppenents hands and arms were clearly on hers and no whistle!

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:43 am

HelenaCat wrote:

Katie hardly ever even smiled last year during games.
She didn't smile too much in the Brick tonight either!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:24 am

what about that home is where the wins are? 9-1 at home.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:12 am

Sitting down low at the game it was obvious to me that this Bobcat team has great chemistry. THe defensive effort was off the charts. Rebounding was great. So was the Free Throw shooting. I think we were 19-22. Taylor, Marah, Madison and Natalie are really peaking at the right time. KJ had an off night but she will be fine.

Ellie is a great presence on the floor but I wish she would try to score when she gets the ball down low, like Marah and Taylor do. Malea has GOT to do more on offense. I would LOVE to see her drive it to the hole and dish it off or draw fouls. The way that Darian used to do. Natalie is starting to do that. Izzy is a capable ball player and shooter. HUGE game on Saturday. We need a big, loud crowd on hand.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:53 pm

CatRowdy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:43 am
HelenaCat wrote:

Yes, pretty sweet, huh?

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:25 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:53 pm
CatRowdy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:43 am
HelenaCat wrote:

Yes, pretty sweet, huh?
Katie gave good hugs to the players on last year’s team after the game.