MBB is. EWU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB is. EWU

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:29 am

Dang, great win for the men.
Going to be a lot of ups and downs with as much turnover as we've had, but you can see the flashes. Great job Logie!

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:35 am

Not to take anything away from last night's win, because that was truly a great win over previously unbeaten EWU. It's frustrating to look at the BSC standings though, knowing that we really should be 7-2, and just a half game out of 1st place, had we not melted down at the end against PSU last Saturday. Still, Logie deserves a ton of credit for somehow building a BSC contender, after having to rebuild the roster almost completely from scratch when he was hired. Most of us probably thought we'd be lucky to win 6 conference games all season, and here we are at the midpoint of BSC play, and we've already won 6 games.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:12 pm

Logie has gotten his team to overachieve this season, which is one of my favorite things to be able to say about a coach. Most of the games I've seen, we just didn't have the size or the talent of our opponent. But they're tough and they're gritty and they play with a chip on their shoulder. I saw a video of Logie coming into the locker room after the game last night and he just kept saying "that's attitude!", and I love that. So much of sports is attitude and effort, and you can play way out of your league when you have that. Now I just hope as Logie is able to get more talent in, that he can keep the attitude of this team. This is turning into a team of junkyard dogs, and I for one didn't see that coming. That's my bad! Love watching them!

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:24 pm

Shout out to Sam! He's really stepped up his game this year. Starting to see the Gatorade POY. =D^ =D^ =D^

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:38 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:24 pm
Shout out to Sam! He's really stepped up his game this year. Starting to see the Gatorade POY. =D^ =D^ =D^

Absolutely! I have been super impressed with his play this year, brings a ton of energy!

One of the biggest pleasant surprises on this years team.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:20 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:38 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:24 pm

Absolutely! I have been super impressed with his play this year, brings a ton of energy!

One of the biggest pleasant surprises on this years team.
I feel Cat/gris round 2 will look different with Sam the way he is playing.

rfischer94
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by rfischer94 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:20 am

lv2hoop wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:32 pm
Yeah, that was a damn good win. Back to .500 on the season and 6-3 in the BSC. Logie is a good coach, maybe great.

He and the Cats made David Riley stand down tonight. It'll be interesting to see if Eastern can manage the split on this trip, as the Griz are probably going to be slight favorites on Saturday.
I rewatched the game with my wife and I pointed out the head coach. She said, "He looks like he works on a gas station!" :lol:

rfischer94
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by rfischer94 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:22 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:11 pm
What a great way to start of Bobcat basketball's favorite month! That was awesome. Two finesse teams trying to knock the crap out of each other as neither could shoot it. EWU missed quite few free throws and missed a ton of threes. We caught them on the right night. We shot poorly but made up for it in hustle. Rebounds and turnovers were they key.

EWU is long. They end up with mismatches when they're on offense. Logie had to put in John Olmsted in the first half because Walker got banged up and Nduka was in foul trouble. Big John's length was a big help-along with Jaden Geron in helping us hold on to our 8 point lead. We couldn't score to stretch it, but they didn't score either. That was a real key.

Robert Ford-best player on the floor again. Sometimes he would get stuck on a 6'10" guy due to rotations and he somehow poke it away time and time again.

Fricken Eastern-they're all juniors. Wins over them are to be cherished.

Gotta beat Idaho on Saturday. Hopefully Goracke finds his touch. We're not going to win many more when he's that cold.
Any idea why Olmstead doesn't play more? We could sure use his size to protect the rim.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:53 am

rfischer94 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:22 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:11 pm
What a great way to start of Bobcat basketball's favorite month! That was awesome. Two finesse teams trying to knock the crap out of each other as neither could shoot it. EWU missed quite few free throws and missed a ton of threes. We caught them on the right night. We shot poorly but made up for it in hustle. Rebounds and turnovers were they key.

EWU is long. They end up with mismatches when they're on offense. Logie had to put in John Olmsted in the first half because Walker got banged up and Nduka was in foul trouble. Big John's length was a big help-along with Jaden Geron in helping us hold on to our 8 point lead. We couldn't score to stretch it, but they didn't score either. That was a real key.

Robert Ford-best player on the floor again. Sometimes he would get stuck on a 6'10" guy due to rotations and he somehow poke it away time and time again.

Fricken Eastern-they're all juniors. Wins over them are to be cherished.

Gotta beat Idaho on Saturday. Hopefully Goracke finds his touch. We're not going to win many more when he's that cold.
Any idea why Olmstead doesn't play more? We could sure use his size to protect the rim.
Not sure. He really helped us out against EWU. My guess is he gets dominated in practice against Walker, Lecholat, and Nduka? EWU's bigs are long and skinny, kind of like Olmsted, so he held his own just fine. Against more physical guys like the griz and Weber have for example, he'd probably get thrown around like a wet rag. He's also very limited offensively. I don't know if he's scored anything but dunks-which he does very well. Just from what I've seen he and Jed Miller could help us in some situations. Hoping he gets his moment.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:02 pm

rfischer94 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:20 am
lv2hoop wrote:
Yeah, that was a damn good win. Back to .500 on the season and 6-3 in the BSC. Logie is a good coach, maybe great.

He and the Cats made David Riley stand down tonight. It'll be interesting to see if Eastern can manage the split on this trip, as the Griz are probably going to be slight favorites on Saturday.
I rewatched the game with my wife and I pointed out the head coach. She said, "He looks like he works on a gas station!" :lol:
EWU's staff were off the bench constantly. If they weren't coaching, they were cheerleading or working the refs. The refs finally had enough and after the technical and were constantly looking back and telling them to sit back down.

Kind of interesting-Riley graduated from Whitworth in 2011 and Logie started coaching there in 2011. I'm guessing Riley was done in the spiring and Logie started in the fall the next season (2011-12)? I don't know if they know each other very well, but I'm sure their paths have crossed.

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:18 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:02 pm
rfischer94 wrote:
lv2hoop wrote:

EWU's staff were off the bench constantly. If they weren't coaching, they were cheerleading or working the refs. The refs finally had enough and after the technical and were constantly looking back and telling them to sit back down.

Kind of interesting-Riley graduated from Whitworth in 2011 and Logie started coaching there in 2011. I'm guessing Riley was done in the spiring and Logie started in the fall the next season (2011-12)? I don't know if they know each other very well, but I'm sure their paths have crossed.

Unfortunately for the gris, I doubt EWU will shoot 11% from beyond the arc tonight

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:05 pm

rfischer94 wrote:
lv2hoop wrote:

My wife agrees, the hair is the dead give away for her.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:24 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:05 pm
rfischer94 wrote:
lv2hoop wrote:

My wife agrees, the hair is the dead give away for her.
I like a lot of things about Logie, coaching, enthusiasm... His hair, not so much. :D

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi