Double Header tonight

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Double Header tonight

Post by aucat » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:51 am

I attended the women's game but had to leave and couldn't watch the men. The women were extremely impressive on defense. Love to see Lindsey trying to score when she gets the ball inside. Madison was terrific. If this team plays defense like this I think they can play with anyone in the Big Sky.

I watched most of the men's game on TV. They were competitive. Just couldn't hold on at the end and the technicals didn't help. But sometimes a coach has to take a stand.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:45 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:41 pm
Cats win 65-45 and it wasn't that close. So cool to see Madison Hall getting her chance to be a star this year after Darian, Kola, and others left. That's 7 games in a row now of MSU holding their opponent below 60 points.
I’m liking this Summit League matchup. Kinda a fun rivalry to get started.

Love the defense the ladies are playing.

We’ll get a good test of that defense Saturday at South Dakota State. As everyone who follows SDSU women basketball knows, they are a perennial powerhouse with multiple conference season championships, tournament championships and making second round NCAA appearances in last 10 years. We beat them last year in Bozeman but they went on to win their conference championship.

And if you looked, they beat Northern Arizona in Double OT last night 110-102 (had to look twice thinking it was an NBA final score). They put up 88 in regulation. Although NAU is not known as a defensive powerhouse my takeaway is that SDSU will challenge our D on their home court.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:54 pm

There's a lot of things this Men's team needs to work on, a lot of just freaking fundamentals to clean things up.
My pet peeves right now are:
1. passing... weak, lazy passing has taken over college basketball.
2. cutting to the basket/working to the ball... so many times we're being over defended way out at the 3pt line and we throw a lazy pass that gets picked off, because my dead grandma could have picked it off. WORK to the ball or cut back to the basket if you're over-defended.
3. Boards... Boards are life, or at least resurrection. (we have been getting better on boards).
4. Terrible shots/bad looks... so many, especially it situations where we need to score to answer or keep up.
5. Your open, take the shot...We're supposed to have shooters, shooters don't hesitate and shake off misses. We let misses get into our heads and pass up open looks, just shoot it.

Defense has been a bright spot for the most part, I think we should trap more to make up for a lot of our short comings though.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:57 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:05 pm
SACCAT GOT GIVE AND GO WRONG AGAIN!!!1!!

:wink:
And then said "I got that wrong, I will hear about that on Bobcat Nation"

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:09 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:57 pm
MSU01 wrote:

I believe your line was that Bobcat Nation was "yelling at you" the last time you made that mistake, so I figured someone had to come on here and do it!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:49 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:09 pm
SACCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

I believe your line was that Bobcat Nation was "yelling at you" the last time you made that mistake, so I figured someone had to come on here and do it!
And I actually appreciate it. I can't get better if I don't have people pointing out mistakes (in a constructive way). Only my 2nd year doing TV, it is WAY different than radio (I have called over 400 games on Radio). It's a different flow, and I am still getting my proverbial feet wet. Strive to get better every game, though some nights are better than others still.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:08 am

SACCAT wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:49 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:09 pm
SACCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

And I actually appreciate it. I can't get better if I don't have people pointing out mistakes (in a constructive way). Only my 2nd year doing TV, it is WAY different than radio (I have called over 400 games on Radio). It's a different flow, and I am still getting my proverbial feet wet. Strive to get better every game, though some nights are better than others still.
You're doing a really good job! How do you get into calling referee basketball games?(tongue in cheek)

cat-o-nine
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by cat-o-nine » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:54 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:54 pm
There's a lot of things this Men's team needs to work on, a lot of just freaking fundamentals to clean things up.
My pet peeves right now are:
1. passing... weak, lazy passing has taken over college basketball.
2. cutting to the basket/working to the ball... so many times we're being over defended way out at the 3pt line and we throw a lazy pass that gets picked off, because my dead grandma could have picked it off. WORK to the ball or cut back to the basket if you're over-defended.
3. Boards... Boards are life, or at least resurrection. (we have been getting better on boards).
4. Terrible shots/bad looks... so many, especially it situations where we need to score to answer or keep up.
5. Your open, take the shot...We're supposed to have shooters, shooters don't hesitate and shake off misses. We let misses get into our heads and pass up open looks, just shoot it.

Defense has been a bright spot for the most part, I think we should trap more to make up for a lot of our short comings though.
Pretty much sums it up for my observations as well - especially the passing. Drives me nuts.
I would also add that I saw a few 'loose ball' situations where the Bobcat player nearest the ball made absolutely zero effort to try to get to the ball when there clearly was an opportunity there. Very perplexing. This was a winnable game and the guys tried hard, but there are clearly some fundamental issues that need to be cleaned up that would probably make a difference in the outcome.

msu_agfan

Post by msu_agfan » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:55 am

Out of curiosity i checked out ORU's forum to see what they thought of the game. they agree, Refs were horrible, and they especially didnt like the call where Ford called timeout as he was falling out of bounds. It showed me how we all have a bias when watching the games... To me that was not a blown call at all, and it definitely didnt seem to be a crucial moment, but perhaps it kept us in the game. ??

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:28 pm

msu_agfan wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:55 am
Out of curiosity i checked out ORU's forum to see what they thought of the game. they agree, Refs were horrible, and they especially didnt like the call where Ford called timeout as he was falling out of bounds. It showed me how we all have a bias when watching the games... To me that was not a blown call at all, and it definitely didnt seem to be a crucial moment, but perhaps it kept us in the game. ??
I was wondering if anybody had a problem with that call. It didn't seem like he actually got his hands in the time-out gesture, but it was pretty clear what he was trying to do. I'm not sure if the official is allowed to give a time out without him clearly asking for one or not. Imagine if he'd just LOOKED LIKE he was going to call a time out, a time out was given, and we didn't have any left.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:36 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:28 pm
msu_agfan wrote:
I was wondering if anybody had a problem with that call. It didn't seem like he actually got his hands in the time-out gesture, but it was pretty clear what he was trying to do. I'm not sure if the official is allowed to give a time out without him clearly asking for one or not. Imagine if he'd just LOOKED LIKE he was going to call a time out, a time out was given, and we didn't have any left.
If he didn’t get his hands in a position to signal timeout, a verbal call would suffice. If he calls out for a TO while in the air, it’s all good, his hands don’t matter. Can’t tell from the video if he said anything.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:51 pm

I recall one play when Goracke took a top of the key three and a long rebound came almost straight out to the left side of the free throw line. Patterson had already taken three steps in the opposite direction with no attempt to go get the ball. If he doesn’t release, he could have taken one step forward and had the rebound. Gotta hope stuff like this gets pointed out when they review the game as a team.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:34 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:28 pm
msu_agfan wrote:
It was quick, but Ford’s hands were definitely forming the T while he was in the air, allowing for one hand still somewhat gripping the ball and not knowing how good his penmanship/printing skills are. Quick thinking.

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:50 am

SACCAT wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

You are like the weather man - nobody notices or cares when you are on point, but one slight error and everyone is more than happy to point it out. Tough gig...I think you do a fantastic job man. We are lucky to have you!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:48 pm

An interesting game tonight: Weber State at Oral Roberts. Weber State beat South Dakota State on a buzzer beater on Wednesday night in Ogden. Weber and SDSU of course curb stomped the Bobcats on their respective home floors, but Bobcats lost a squeeker to ORU. Game is on CBS Sports Network at 6PM.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:11 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:48 pm
An interesting game tonight: Weber State at Oral Roberts. Weber State beat South Dakota State on a buzzer beater on Wednesday night in Ogden. Weber and SDSU of course curb stomped the Bobcats on their respective home floors, but Bobcats lost a squeeker to ORU. Game is on CBS Sports Network at 6PM.
Weber got the win. Idaho State men beat Omaha in Idaho Falls. Nice win for the Bengals. MSU's reward for being good that last couple of seasons was the all expense paid trip to Brookings for the Summit/Big Sky Challenge (or whatever it is).

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:06 pm

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:12 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:06 pm
Ok but what about the point differential?

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:16 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:12 pm
Ok but what about the point differential?
That went in favor of the Summit League. Unfortunately, our Bobcats MBB weren't much help with that.