MBB@ Idaho State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rfischer94
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: MBB@ Idaho State

Post by rfischer94 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:19 pm

I was pleased to see Walker boxing out more effectively. He had some nice plays on the offensive end as well. I would like to see him get up and down the court faster - that would make him even more effective.

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:26 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:05 pm
After the Rocky debacle, I didn’t think MSU would win a Big Sky game. Happy to be proven wrong. Go Cats.
lol Rocky is currently a top 15 team in the NAIA. It’s not like the Cats lost to a bunch of scrubs. Rocky is filled with skilled players with lots of experience. Their roster would give most teams in the BigSky a run for their money. I could see you making that assumption if you just looked at the box score. However, watching the game it was evident that Rocky’s strengths were exactly MSU’s weaknesses and Rocky played like the more experienced team.

Now, if the Cats had lost to SAGU or NW Indian I’d be worried. This roster, as bad as it is compared to the last few years, should still finish middle of the pack in the BigSky.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:43 pm

Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:26 pm
AFCAT wrote:
After the Rocky debacle, I didn’t think MSU would win a Big Sky game. Happy to be proven wrong. Go Cats.
lol Rocky is currently a top 15 team in the NAIA. It’s not like the Cats lost to a bunch of scrubs. Rocky is filled with skilled players with lots of experience. Their roster would give most teams in the BigSky a run for their money. I could see you making that assumption if you just looked at the box score. However, watching the game it was evident that Rocky’s strengths were exactly MSU’s weaknesses and Rocky played like the more experienced team.

Now, if the Cats had lost to SAGU or NW Indian I’d be worried. This roster, as bad as it is compared to the last few years, should still finish middle of the pack in the BigSky.
When was the last time the Cats lost to an NAIA team? They looked horrible in that game. After the Cats lost to a terrible Green Bay team, I didn’t expect much either.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:45 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:04 pm
Very important win given that getting another one on Saturday is...highly unlikely. Goracke matches MSU's previous #21 with 29 points of his own!
If we lose to Weber by fewer points than the griz do we suddenly get all optimistic about the Brawl??? :lol: Seriously though...Dillon Jones is going to be a huge, huge problem for our lineup me thinks.

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:41 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:43 pm
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:26 pm
AFCAT wrote:

When was the last time the Cats lost to an NAIA team? They looked horrible in that game. After the Cats lost to a terrible Green Bay team, I didn’t expect much either.
Fair. My point more so is that Rocky isn’t just any old NAIA school. They’re a well coached, talented team that is playing above their NAIA designation this year.

As for Green Bay and the other bad losses this MSU team has this year. There has been one common denominator, and that has been hustle. Green Bay, Rocky, etc are scrappy and play tough-nosed defense and pride themselves on controlling the glass. In the games MSU has lost this year what has been the common theme? Not being able to handle heavy ball pressure, not being able to break a press, and getting out rebounded because a couple of MSU’s big men refuse to box out and rebound the basketball. That has gotten better in the last few weeks and they’ll continue to improve throughout the season.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:08 am

Good for coach Logie. Solid, solid win.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:53 am

rfischer94 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:19 pm
I was pleased to see Walker boxing out more effectively. He had some nice plays on the offensive end as well. I would like to see him get up and down the court faster - that would make him even more effective.
I think he's trying. What I see happening is when Walker is in other players collect more fouls, mainly trying to help when Walker gets out of position. Positioning is his biggest weakness on defense. I'm guessing he's getting a lot of individual coaching in practices? I think he might be getting better. Hopefully his fitness will improve as the season goes on too.

rfischer94
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by rfischer94 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:28 pm

I have seen him improve quite a bit and am excited about the progress. I like the improvements I see each game - it's a testament to Coach Logie's skill and the work ethic of the players. I have never seen them quit in a game.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:31 pm

Hope they can put up a better fight on Saturday than the Griz did in Ogden.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz