MSU vs Weber Stat MBB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

MSU vs Weber Stat MBB

Post by Ilikecats » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:01 am

This is the game that we make a statement. I know Weber got us at home, but everything is coming together for us going into Saturday’s game. Any idea how long their Big is going to be out?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU vs Weber Stat MBB

Post by catatac » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:23 am

Ilikecats wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:01 am
This is the game that we make a statement. I know Weber got us at home, but everything is coming together for us going into Saturday’s game. Any idea how long their Big is going to be out?
Nah, because then I'd gain some false confidence heading into Cat Griz and be bummed when the Griz destroy us. I'd rather get beat by Weber, not expect anything special in Missoula and be pleasantly surprised if we somehow took down the Griz. Because let's face it, we aren't beating both of them. No, I'm not a pessimist - I'm a realist. Have seen this one play out too many times.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:48 am

It's going to be a huge challenge to beat Weber, who just came off an emotional loss to the Griz at home. They will be fired up and we're on the 2nd leg of an away swing. If their big man is out that does help us, but I think we probably fall just short in this one. In Missoula will be very hard too.

Tell you what though, a team led by Harold Frey is always going to have a chance. He just gets better and better. He's 9th in the country in assist turnover ratio, and when he needs to he can fill up the scoreboard but his passing is what is really impressing me this year. He is firing darts, especially in transition.

When the Cats get out into transitions and are able to generate some stops, we are pretty good.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:53 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:23 am
Ilikecats wrote:
Nah, because then I'd gain some false confidence heading into Cat Griz and be bummed when the Griz destroy us. I'd rather get beat by Weber, not expect anything special in Missoula and be pleasantly surprised if we somehow took down the Griz. Because let's face it, we aren't beating both of them. No, I'm not a pessimist - I'm a realist. Have seen this one play out too many times.
These guys are a tough out though. I'm starting to gain confidence that we can make some noise in this race =D^ =D^

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Winning this one would be 5 straight. When was the last time that happened especially in the BSC...?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:03 pm

This little clip clearly shows our Achilles heal. Everybody in the gym knows Boyd is going to drive to the rim. He toasts Nikkarenin, the rotation is slow, and help doesn't arrive. This could well have been Frey or Daniels. None of our guards are good enough one-on-one to stop these fast penetrating guards in the Big Sky. But what I think is happening is we're conceding that as long as we can, letting them get comfortable shooting layups and then springing the zone on them as late as possible when they're hopefully cold from outside. It worked like a charm against EWU and ISU. Other teams will probably figure out an answer to it.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:39 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:03 pm
This little clip clearly shows our Achilles heal. Everybody in the gym knows Boyd is going to drive to the rim. He toasts Nikkarenin, the rotation is slow, and help doesn't arrive. This could well have been Frey or Daniels. None of our guards are good enough one-on-one to stop these fast penetrating guards in the Big Sky. But what I think is happening is we're conceding that as long as we can, letting them get comfortable shooting layups and then springing the zone on them as late as possible when they're hopefully cold from outside. It worked like a charm against EWU and ISU. Other teams will probably figure out an answer to it.
Interesting observation. We are clamping down in the 2nd half and that could explain why. I agree that we simply cannot stop fast guards in the league, and don't have any rotational help once they burn their defender. But also in reality we don't have hardly any paint defenders on the roster even if they just stood in the paint the whole time. Kirby is the closest, and Neumann's best defense is his ability to draw charges, but defenders can simply sidestep him and lay it in.

I think it is simply a product of the scheme we run and the personnel we have.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:04 pm

If we're not giving Weber easy looks, I like our chances.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:10 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:53 am
catatac wrote:
Ilikecats wrote:
These guys are a tough out though. I'm starting to gain confidence that we can make some noise in this race =D^ =D^
I sure hope you're right, but with so many letdowns over the last 20 years or so I just can't bring myself to believe that we are going to win the tourney and go to the big show.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:35 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:10 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
catatac wrote:
Ilikecats wrote:
I sure hope you're right, but with so many letdowns over the last 20 years or so I just can't bring myself to believe that we are going to win the tourney and go to the big show.
Hold on. I said nothing about going to the show :)

I'm just saying this bunch could make some serious noise, and i might be kicking myself for not being in Boise in a month.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:01 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:35 pm
catatac wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
catatac wrote:
Ilikecats wrote:

I'm just saying this bunch could make some serious noise, and i might be kicking myself for not being in Boise in a month.
I'd settle for one conference tournament win-against anybody...just one.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:34 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:01 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:35 pm
catatac wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
catatac wrote:
Ilikecats wrote:

I'd settle for one conference tournament win-against anybody...just one.
Be careful what you wish for. We could get a good first win and then you’ll be hungry for more.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:45 pm

Cledus wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:34 pm

Be careful what you wish for. We could get a good first win and then you’ll be hungry for more.
Sure I will. But after the disappointment I'd look back on the season and the tournament with much more fondness than almost any other in the last 20 years.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:32 am

This would be a great weekend to upset weber, but I am not holding my breath. I like the balance in scoring which bodes well for the Cats. If we win it's because of Harold wheeling and dealing the ball to guys with open looks. But, the game is all about Defence, and I am not sure we are top for 4 on Defense.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:11 am

This is going to be a tough row to hoe, but here's what I like: this bobcat team looks as engaged, focused, and still locked into the season as any has for a good long time. Guys are sharing the ball, and we have enough really good BSC offensive players to score with anybody when that happens. The strategic deployment of the zone has been successful, and I hope we see plenty of it up in Missoula next week, because that team doesn't shoot well. But to actually win this game, I think we need one of those crazy shooting nights where everything goes in; it's damn tough to sweep a road weekend and weber, while down a click from normal, is still very good. Our team is galvanized though, and I think it'll be a good, competitive BSC basketball game.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:52 am

Looking forward to this one. Bobcats are playing as well as I've seen in many years. Playing D will be key....and of course spreading the ball around on offense. I hope we don't go down by 15-20 points out of the gate and have to scratch and claw to get back in it....that's a tough way to win. If we stay close and finish the strong, we may pull out the victory.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:40 pm

Weber has had their struggles with slow starts this year, so if they come out and build a quick lead I don’t like our chances.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:11 pm

Cats slow start...like Pluto Tv!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:14 pm

Throwing up bad 3's and giving lanes to the basket for Weber...bad formula so far.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:19 pm

Not looking good early on. Thursday night the stated attendance was 6,700+(11,500 Max.). :roll: Looks like more folks on hand tonight. Take an educated estimate and check with BSC Stats tomorrow. :lol:
My guess is 3,000-3,500. Therefore the official attendance should be about 7,500.
Last edited by 3-7-77 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."