Why no rebounders on our free throws - mbb

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Counting Cats
New Recruit

Why no rebounders on our free throws - mbb

Post by Counting Cats » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:41 am

Just wondering why Coach Fish does not put any of our players around the key to rebound when we are shooting free throws. Anyone know?

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Why no rebounders on our free throws - mbb

Post by phantom » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 am

It's become more and more common. When the rule change was made several years ago now to eliminate the bottom spots and make it 4 vs. 2 rebounding the percentage of offensive rebounds on a FT has gone way down. So, some coaches prefer just to have the other four back so you will have your defense set up. I'll be honest, through the two games last weekend, if they did it all the time, I didn't notice that. Sometimes coaches will do it depending on who is the FT shooter.

Counting Cats
New Recruit

Post by Counting Cats » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:08 am

Thanks for the insight. I have not noticed this with other teams, but will pay more attention.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:48 pm

Also depends on the depth you have at the 4 and 5 spots. Picking up a cheap foul (especially with Big Sky refs...) can really hurt a team when there is not a lot of upside to it...

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:57 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:48 pm
Also depends on the depth you have at the 4 and 5 spots. Picking up a cheap foul (especially with Big Sky refs...) can really hurt a team when there is not a lot of upside to it...
That is a factor. Another factor can be if a team is going to press. It's easier to have the other four back so they can set up a zone press make or mess. I know I will do that from time to time. I'm too old school to never have anyone in the lane. lol

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 am

SACCAT wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:48 pm
This is the biggest factor. The tighter contact rules in the paint in college basketball are so hard to manage as is, picking up cheap fouls for any players, especially posts, kills you since they are already going to get called for 1-2 other cheap ones regardless...

Counting Cats
New Recruit

Post by Counting Cats » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:47 pm

i have been watching other teams and they always have at least 1-2 players around they key. I noticed last night with Weber though that he put players at the key sometimes and maybe all the time but I wasn't looking for it. I am old school too perhaps...I got many a rebound off an offensive missed free throw.