What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: What needs to be done to improve men's B-ball?

Post by grizband » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:12 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:53 pm
Well according to this there's probably not much hope-no matter who our coach is: https://watchstadium.com/news/big-sky-b ... 1-08-2018/
I didn't expect NAU to rank so highly in academics.

joecat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by joecat » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:46 pm

Replace the head coach. His personal insecurities do not allow for a winning culture. He regularly berates and bullies players and assistant coaches with disgusting name calling and personal attacks to their face and behind their backs. Current players advise recruits to go elsewhere if they have options. Assistant coaches are not bought in, rarely coach and do not stand up for players even when they see wrongdoing by Fish. He emphasizes his job security and salary incentives as motivating factors for team performance rather than player development or team goals. Comparing tactics and team health of the women's program to the men's should make it apparent to the AD that MSU can improve men's basketball by hiring a coach that cares about people and winning.

MSmith1968
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MSmith1968 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:39 am

joecat wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:46 pm
Replace the head coach. His personal insecurities do not allow for a winning culture. He regularly berates and bullies players and assistant coaches with disgusting name calling and personal attacks to their face and behind their backs. Current players advise recruits to go elsewhere if they have options. Assistant coaches are not bought in, rarely coach and do not stand up for players even when they see wrongdoing by Fish. He emphasizes his job security and salary incentives as motivating factors for team performance rather than player development or team goals. Comparing tactics and team health of the women's program to the men's should make it apparent to the AD that MSU can improve men's basketball by hiring a coach that cares about people and winning.
If this is happening, why doesn't someone report this to the AD and administration?

MSmith1968
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MSmith1968 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:40 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:04 am
I never said Hall and Frey should be out of the lineup or that Ricketts should be the focus, but he should be a focal point. Ricketts is definitely a better shooter than anyone on the team. Yes, his percentage would go down if you run defenders at him, but it’d still be better than anyone else. He’s a weapon that can free
up space for everyone else on the court.

MSU has two of its three wins with Ricketts starting. He’s only started the last five games.
Unfortunately he cannot stay on the floor long enough to use his weapon. Has to be able to play defense...

joecat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by joecat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:25 am

MSmith1968 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:39 am
joecat wrote:
If this is happening, why doesn't someone report this to the AD and administration?
Staff fear losing their jobs and players their scholarships or playing time. If options are available they will leave. Coach Jackson left MSU to coach CC? Isaac Bonton left MSU because he didn't like playing basketball anymore and now plays for a Wyoming CC? Luke Schultz plays all his life and leaves because he wants to be a priest? Jared Martin plays all his life and leaves to not play anywhere? If the AD or administration has an exit interview process they know what's going on. Maybe after this year's younger players leave and have success elsewhere it will accelerate the decision making.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Pretty obvious someone has an axe to grind. It’s interesting that you act to have inside knowledge after starting your account yesterday, but act like the departures you cited were some mystery.
Bobcats played well Thursday. Hopefully they will get a win today and get to 3-1 in conference play.

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:10 pm

joecat wrote:
Replace the head coach. His personal insecurities do not allow for a winning culture. He regularly berates and bullies players and assistant coaches with disgusting name calling and personal attacks to their face and behind their backs..
So you have knowledge from actually seeing and personally witnessing all of these things?

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:51 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:31 pm
Coaching: MSU hasn't had a head coach move on to a bigger job since Ott Romney went to BYU in the 1920's. Doesn't look like Fish is going to move up to a bigger job as a head coach either. Compare our coaching record to um's-they've had half-a-dozen or so move up-and DeCuire will too.

Location: Montana is two states away from a major metro area. Bozeman is perceived as rural. MSU is at its heart-a cow college. With Bozeman growing, MSU growing and diversifying, our airport expanding and getting more direct flights (so players can get home and parents can fly up here) maybe that will change a little bit.

Complete abandonment of in-state talent. Phantom will kill me on this, but having 2 or 3 instate scholarship kids on the roster and playing (not just walk on practice players) will help the program. It helps with fan interest which makes the program more exciting and so-on. Having some in state guys on the team who's family can be substitute families to the the out-of-state players helps-it sure does with the football team. Fish finally signed Ricketts. Guess what-he's starting! Ladan Ricketts didn't set the world on fire coming out of high school, but after 2 years in a JC he comes here and starts almost immediately. There were better players than Ricketts in Montana when he came out of high school. Fish signed Caleb Bellach for next season. I predict he will have a big impact on the program. More than a Junior College bench player from out-of-state that Fish has frequently signed-and then found out wasn't very good. MSU has never had a good basketball team that didn't have a strong contingent of in-state players.

Keeping your recruits: I don't know who was a fault-the kid or the coach, but last season Fish lost his two best high school recruits before Christmas time. Isaac Bonton went to a JC in Wyoming, is frequently scoring 30 points a game, and will probably end up at a high major school next season. If we had him this season I think we're a pretty good team. Bonton is one of several recruits that have moved on before they used up their eligibility under Fish. That's a problem.

Facilities: Our arena is fine, but it's not near the best in the league. But it is, what it is. It'd be a lot better if there were more people in it during basketball games, but that support has all but evaporated in the Huse and Fish years.

As long as the football team is doing good-nobody really cares I'm afraid. At MSU we can't seem to be good at both at the same time.
Disagree on the facility. The Brick is really good compared to everyone but Weber, especially with the new scoreboard.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:59 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:05 pm
Get the ball to your best shooter and encourage him to shoot. Hint hint. That’s Ricketts. He should be pumping up 15-20 per game. He’s 47% from 3, but only 59 attempts. Hall is 36% with 88 attempts. That’s 3 points per game MSU is throwing away by not recognizing who can shoot. Frey has 53 attempts at 30%. Give half those to Ricketts and that’s another 4 to the per game average. MSU throws away seven points due to not knowing who it’s best shooter is. Ricketts is also 11-11 FTs. He’d get to the line more if he shot more.

Big guys rebound, passers assist, shooters score...

It ain’t rocket science. But this is a common problem for basketball coaches at all levels. Ball hogs abound and people actually think 30% shooters are good because they have that ONE good game occasionally.
Dude, have you watched many games? Rickett's has a tough time getting open and can't create his own shot. He can't on the floor due to foul trouble, and oh, by-the-way. he's far from our best shooter.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

desmond1957

Post by desmond1957 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:29 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:59 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:05 pm
Get the ball to your best shooter and encourage him to shoot. Hint hint. That’s Ricketts. He should be pumping up 15-20 per game. He’s 47% from 3, but only 59 attempts. Hall is 36% with 88 attempts. That’s 3 points per game MSU is throwing away by not recognizing who can shoot. Frey has 53 attempts at 30%. Give half those to Ricketts and that’s another 4 to the per game average. MSU throws away seven points due to not knowing who it’s best shooter is. Ricketts is also 11-11 FTs. He’d get to the line more if he shot more.

Big guys rebound, passers assist, shooters score...

It ain’t rocket science. But this is a common problem for basketball coaches at all levels. Ball hogs abound and people actually think 30% shooters are good because they have that ONE good game occasionally.
Dude, have you watched many games? Rickett's has a tough time getting open and can't create his own shot. He can't on the floor due to foul trouble, and oh, by-the-way. he's far from our best shooter.
Based on every home game this year I've got to agree withwalkon's assesment. Rickett's a good addition, but he's not close to either Hall of Frey in shooting ability and doesn't move his feet enough to stay out of foul trouble. I still feel that Lassiter and Kirby are the main reasons we have improved ALONG with FREY being so much more aggresive. Add the fact that Fish has finally decided to let them play w/o so much damned whistling on every play and we just might suprise some people!!

mt jack
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mt jack » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:36 pm

grizband wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:12 am
I didn't expect NAU to rank so highly in academics.
Nor did I. Things seem to have changed from when I attended.

Mcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Mcat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:42 pm

Need to watch more games. DK doing great. Lassi great last two home games. Ricketts does put the ball on the floor and attack. Watch the broadcasts on away games. Fish wants him to draw attention from defenders to open middle for drivers to basket. He has him in the corners or screening of late. As far as D, two games don't define play. Other starters have also fouled out this season in similar fashion. Yes, Hall and Frey are great, taking most shots and improving shooting % of late. They are benefiting also from D sticking to Ricketts as opposing teams scouting reports identifying him as the cats best 3 point shooter because of his 21 in the country ranking in 3 pt %. Lassi of late has also hit some open 3 shots. DK jump hook is a threat teams I hope will see more of , and this will open up kickouts to open shooters as they double down on DK. Finally, we need to kick the ball up the court more looking for open 3s in transition, and then dump downs into transition cutters to the rim. All that means is higher % shots for are best shooters and open attacks to the rim for our rim rockers!

Counting Cats
New Recruit

Post by Counting Cats » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:01 pm

I am torn on the head coach aspect. Fish has brought some good things to the program. He seems to have recruited better than the last coach and i see some new defensive and offensive strategies this year that seem to be working. Our aggressiveness and ability to drive and penetrate to the hoop has improved I think. I see more players squaring to the hoop and wanting to do something with the ball. He doesn't seem to take players out immediately after making an error as much. And players can get more into a groove.

My hesitation though is his out of control anger and emotion during the games and his belittling of players during a game. As a teacher/motivator that kind of anger has very little place in leadership. He also seems to micro-manage the players...Run! Get up! Players coming off the court make no eye contact with him and try to rush by him and argue with him. He is focusing on every little mistake and not the bigger picture. I see players get more hesitant as the season progresses for fear of making mistakes and lose their confidence. That is one factor in my humble estimation of why we start stronger and then fizzle some. I wonder if DK has lost some confidence in the last 2 games.

I think our struggle on defense is in part an issue of athleticism/conditioning and quickness and not just about what the coaches are teaching. I sure wish Hall would follow his shot when he is not the last man back court. Not sure why that is still going on as a senior. :-(

It is fun watching the guys hustle and give it their all! Go Cats!

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:08 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:47 am
Not a whiff of either the men’s or women’s games in the Helena paper. Two front page full stories for both UM programs. If anyone gets the Butte or Billings papers, what do those look like?

Lack of media coverage isn’t helping, especially the women.
Ha! As a fellow Helena resident...that's been the way it's been for years. When I grew up in Helena it was 100% Griz. Went to college at MSU/worked in Bozeman for a bit, just recently moved back. Much better--dare I say very much a Cat town these days--but Helena's instinct is to always lean Griz I think.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:18 pm

I'll rant on this until I'm blue in the face-but the bias in media coverage in favor the the griz and lady griz in this state is very real and I believe it does hurt MSU basketball a little bit. The reason is a mix of things: um is the journalism school, Missoula is a bigger media market than Bozeman, Bozeman got its first TV station maybe 25-30 years ago but the weekend news still comes out of Missoula or Billings-ran by griz journalism grads. It's not that they are maliciously anti-cat for the most part (though some clearly are), it's just that they don't know or care about anything in Montana east of Bonner. When they do cover the Cats on their weekend broadcast they clearly don't know anything about the team-can't even pronounce our player's last names correctly-last week they screwed up Blevins. They call Harald Frey-Harald Fry-etc.

Most of the guys and gals that cover the griz are um grads-and big time fans of the team. That is clear and obvious. You can see it in their enthusiasm in covering the team, writing about the team, tweating about the team, etc. MSU doesn't have fan-boys covering them and it shows.

Nuanez does a pretty good job. He knows our players and coaches-can pronounce their last names-and knows their back stories. But his colleagues clearly do not and it shows.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:26 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:18 pm
I'll rant on this until I'm blue in the face-but the bias in media coverage in favor the the griz and lady griz in this state is very real and I believe it does hurt MSU basketball a little bit. The reason is a mix of things: um is the journalism school, Missoula is a bigger media market than Bozeman, Bozeman got its first TV station maybe 25-30 years ago but the weekend news still comes out of Missoula or Billings-ran by griz journalism grads. It's not that they are maliciously anti-cat for the most part (though some clearly are), it's just that they don't know or care about anything in Montana east of Bonner. When they do cover the Cats on their weekend broadcast they clearly don't know anything about the team-can't even pronounce our player's last names correctly-last week they screwed up Blevins. They call Harald Frey-Harald Fry-etc.

Most of the guys and gals that cover the griz are um grads-and big time fans of the team. That is clear and obvious. You can see it in their enthusiasm in covering the team, writing about the team, tweating about the team, etc. MSU doesn't have fan-boys covering them and it shows.

Nuanez does a pretty good job. He knows our players and coaches-can pronounce their last names-and knows their back stories. But his colleagues clearly do not and it shows.
Particularly the newspaper coverage, while maybe not "malicious" is certainly intentional. You don't just forget there's a second university sports program in Montana. Though that's largely what Lee Newspapers would have you believe. It takes effort to almost completely ignore one of the two state universities, or conveniently land MSU stories on page three of the sports section right after the league bowling and grade school gymnastics results.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Anacomando

Post by Anacomando » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:55 pm

The news coverage has always been slanted towards the Griz. It needs to be 50/50. I hate watching something like ESPN anymore; it's just two obnoxious men yelling and spreading gossip about teams and players. It sucks so bad. I really like Skyline Sports for local and state coverage! Colter and his team are really good. Anyways, I think all the road non-conference games are tough to get through. As far as Fish goes, we'll see come Big Sky tourney. If this administration fired Ash, then I have no doubt, barring a huge step forward in the Big Sky tourney, that Fish is gone. Then I'd go find a veteran name to solidify the program to winning and consistency. Kind of like what Cal-Davis did in football. A Dan Hawkins name in college basketball - I can think of some great candidates!

oedipuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oedipuss » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:08 am

Anacomando wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:55 pm
The news coverage has always been slanted towards the Griz. It needs to be 50/50. I hate watching something like ESPN anymore; it's just two obnoxious men yelling and spreading gossip about teams and players. It sucks so bad. I really like Skyline Sports for local and state coverage! Colter and his team are really good. Anyways, I think all the road non-conference games are tough to get through. As far as Fish goes, we'll see come Big Sky tourney. If this administration fired Ash, then I have no doubt, barring a huge step forward in the Big Sky tourney, that Fish is gone. Then I'd go find a veteran name to solidify the program to winning and consistency. Kind of like what Cal-Davis did in football. A Dan Hawkins name in college basketball - I can think of some great candidates!

I’m with you on Coach Fish’s future - I think it all comes down to the Cats outcome in Boise and, at a minimum, a post season birth in the CIT or something. As far as getting a veteran coach- it seems close to impossible to keep them for an amount of time necessary to have a lasting impact. I think when the Griz went that route with Kennedy they only got him for a year before he bailed.

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StatedImprovement » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:48 pm

The people who blame the Media for mediocre coverage of a couple of mediocre teams just happen to be the same fools that blame every loss on the refs.......what a coincidence?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:07 pm

A fool is someone who tries to be a fan of one team and is obviously not.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."