MBB vs. Presentation College

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

MBB vs. Presentation College

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Bobcats win 83-68 against a pretty bad NAIA team. I thought I'd brave the slick roads and take this one in, because it will very likely be our last win of 2018.

I'm just gonna keep harping on it, but Fish's brilliant idea to play Harald Frey at the 2 guard instead of the point guard is hurting the chemistry of this team and killing Harry's game. It makes absolutely no sense. Our starting point guard is a kid who averaged 4.4 points per game in a backup role at a junior college in Florida last season. But Fish thinks he's good enough to be the starting point guard at a supposedly D-1 school this year. It's like Jerry Sloan deciding to move John Stockton to the 2 guard to have John Crotty be his starting point guard (old Utah Jazz reference there).

I am disappointed in what I'm seeing so far.

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: MBB vs. Presentation College

Post by duelalumnicat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:49 pm

I agree. Plus it looked to me that Tyler Hall's ankle is still bad. Coach Fish should keep him on the bench until conference play starts after Christmas so his ankle can heal.

Catprint
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Catprint » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:04 am

The game tonight was a huge disappointment. Maybe 500 people in the stands? I doubt even that many. No band. No energy. Sunday night about the worst time for a game. Against an NAIA team, we were only up by 12 middle of the second half. We should have been up by 30. Eventually, the score crept back up but we can't shoot in our own gym. Harry looks way out of place as #2 guard. Had only 5 points when i finally left. Hall is definitely favoring his ankle. Also, he was 2-8 for 3's and fell on three of them - like trying to draw the foul. He has given up driving almost entirely (due to the ankle?) and shoots few of his turnaround jumpers. Not sure where that is going. Keljin looked way better tonight and had some solid inside play but Presentation did not have any big men that could move. He was way more aggressive. Sam seems lost. Lassie is never going to cut it except as a sub to spell someone for a few minutes. He is too slow and has very little shooting proclivity. His on court sense is average at best.

Overall, the level of play was lackluster. I don't see us winning anything before conference except maybe at Denver. We could easily be 2-8 starting conference play.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:16 am

27 fouls against an NAIA team, giving them 10 free points from the fouls line. That is not a defense plan. Put Hall on the bench in street clothes until conference. Period.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:40 am

Catprint wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:04 am
Against an NAIA team, we were only up by 12 middle of the second half. We should have been up by 30.
The problem is that I don't think we should have been up by 30. Because we're not good. And our coaching is horrendous.

Agree with everything else in your post. I feel like every season I say it's the worst I've seen the program and then unfortunately the next season is a little worse. We need a complete rebuild.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:54 am

MSU men are going to have a tough year. I know Fish is giving his best, but he’s not the right Coach for the Bobcats right now. It’s also time to sit Tyler and let him recover from his ankle sprain.

Coaching is the worse profession I can imagine. I feel bad for Coach Fish because he took a chance and let’s not forget brought us Tyler Hall, but this thing is going in the wrong direction.

I still think the Woman’s team is going to be strong, but right now something nots right. I hope they figure it out!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:57 am

There was a brief stretch in the second half where we were playing something that resembled basketball. The lineup consisted of Frey, Hall, Ricketts, Blevins, and Neumann. The ball moved around and we were getting good shots. I remember one sequence where Frey threw it across the court to Hall who passsed up a contested three to swing to Ricketts who had a wide open three and nailed it. It was beautiful. Fish immediately subbed in Daniels.

Fish seems to have a thing for playing guys out of position. Like he's going to completely befuddle the opponent by having a shooting guard at power forward or something. I get it that this is the time of year to tinker with lineups so I have hope he'll come to his senses at some point.

Both Daniels and Nikkarinin fouled out...guarding NAIA guys. Kirby looked better offensively but fouled out in 11 minutes. He whined to the refs after each one. Perhaps the coaches could teach him what a foul is in practice so he'll stop doing it in games???

Fish's sideline demeanor is vastly different this season. He's been more reserved on the sideline and when a guy subs out he's seems to be more encouraging instead of chewing the kid out.

Fish said over and over again in the pre and post game shows that this team is a work in progress, enjoy the process, and they are going to be a good team.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:40 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:57 am
Fish said over and over again in the pre and post game shows that this team is a work in progress, enjoy the process, and they are going to be a good team.
He must be operating under the idea of "say it enough times, maybe it will eventually become true" theory. ](*,)

GO CATS GO!!!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Catlady wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:54 am
I still think the Woman’s team is going to be strong, but right now something nots right. I hope they figure it out!
I think coach Nate leaving with subsequent replacement was a big net loss. Just IMHO.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Catprint wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:04 am
The game tonight was a huge disappointment. Maybe 500 people in the stands? I doubt even that many. No band. No energy. Sunday night about the worst time for a game. Against an NAIA team, we were only up by 12 middle of the second half. We should have been up by 30. Eventually, the score crept back up but we can't shoot in our own gym. Harry looks way out of place as #2 guard. Had only 5 points when i finally left. Hall is definitely favoring his ankle. Also, he was 2-8 for 3's and fell on three of them - like trying to draw the foul. He has given up driving almost entirely (due to the ankle?) and shoots few of his turnaround jumpers. Not sure where that is going. Keljin looked way better tonight and had some solid inside play but Presentation did not have any big men that could move. He was way more aggressive. Sam seems lost. Lassie is never going to cut it except as a sub to spell someone for a few minutes. He is too slow and has very little shooting proclivity. His on court sense is average at best.

Overall, the level of play was lackluster. I don't see us winning anything before conference except maybe at Denver. We could easily be 2-8 starting conference play.
Agree with most of this, but you do know that we don't ask the band to participate until conference play? It's been that way for a while.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm not a fan of 3 home games versus maybe 8/9 away games before New Year's. While Fish is struggling, that does him no favors.

Counting Cats
New Recruit

Post by Counting Cats » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:57 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Fish's sideline demeanor is vastly different this season. He's been more reserved on the sideline and when a guy subs out he's seems to be more encouraging instead of chewing the kid out.
Indeed!! Coach Fish is a new man on the sidelines. And the AD is now sitting behind the scoring table. For all of us who had loud negative nagging coaches coming up in the ranks of hoops this is a remarkably great turn of events. The power of one positive thing...lets see how far it goes! This fan is thrilled! Now if only he will let players stay in after a mistake and get into some sort of playing rhythm. Asking too much?

Did anyone else catch another thrilling moment in this game? Hall actually followed his shot, grabbed the board, and scored. Truly. He didn't shoot and fall down or shoot and run away. I have not been impressed with Hall since the beginning of last year. He doesn't hustle, crash the boards, or play good defense. His habit of falling after shooting is bad basketball. I think it is less ankle injury and more about playing soft and resting on his records his first two years. And I think the coaching staff need to come up with better executed plays to get him open for shots or to dish the ball to others when he is double teamed. I think the coaches failed in taking advantage of the open man last year.

Kirby did his share of complaining to the refs last night but is anyone else impressed with his dramatic improvement? He is looking to score! Impressive.

I want to see More of Ladan,Usman, and Max that are showing some hustle. Frey at point guard too. But that will have to Wait until next year. Someone was not thinking clearly with this schedule, right?!? Out of sight out of mind and let's rack up big losses to big name teams and build up confidence? I wonder what will come of it. Ok, so I am not super hopeful based on the last 2 years but there is always the possibility of some good things chilling! Go Cats!

Catprint

Post by Catprint » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:45 pm

Counting Cats wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:57 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Indeed!! Coach Fish is a new man on the sidelines. And the AD is now sitting behind the scoring table. For all of us who had loud negative nagging coaches coming up in the ranks of hoops this is a remarkably great turn of events. The power of one positive thing...lets see how far it goes! This fan is thrilled! Now if only he will let players stay in after a mistake and get into some sort of playing rhythm. Asking too much?
My wife has been amazed the Coach Fish's turnaround. She keeps telling me he is a new man. She was vocal in letting Costello know the constant degrading of players was discouraging to all of us and inappropriate for a group of 19-21 year old boys trying to earn their way through college. At least the games are more pleasant even if the outcome is the same.

Catprint

Post by Catprint » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:49 pm

Counting Cats wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Did anyone else catch another thrilling moment in this game? Hall actually followed his shot, grabbed the board, and scored. Truly. He didn't shoot and fall down or shoot and run away. I have not been impressed with Hall since the beginning of last year. He doesn't hustle, crash the boards, or play good defense. His habit of falling after shooting is bad basketball. I think it is less ankle injury and more about playing soft and resting on his records his first two years. And I think the coaching staff need to come up with better executed plays to get him open for shots or to dish the ball to others when he is double teamed. I think the coaches failed in taking advantage of the open man last year.
I did and it was extraordinary. FIrst time in many games i have seen Tyler follow his shot. The habit of falling down after shooting a three is atrocious. I cannot believe the coaches allow this to happen. On one three attempt, he shot, landed squarely on both feet and then fell a second later. The defender was not even close. Never was a kind of basketball i have ever heard of. No one should be falling after any three attempt unless the defender falls into you. Shoot the ball, land on your feet and go get the rebound! :D

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:51 am

Counting Cats wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Kirby did his share of complaining to the refs last night but is anyone else impressed with his dramatic improvement? He is looking to score! Impressive.

I want to see More of Ladan,Usman, and Max that are showing some hustle. Frey at point guard too. But that will have to Wait until next year. Someone was not thinking clearly with this schedule, right?!? Out of sight out of mind and let's rack up big losses to big name teams and build up confidence? I wonder what will come of it. Ok, so I am not super hopeful based on the last 2 years but there is always the possibility of some good things chilling! Go Cats!
Our entire row cheered for Tyler when he did that. It was awesome.

Kirby is playing very well especially considering that this is his third game of his college career. Great soft hands on handling the inlet pass and effortlessly scoring. Only one jump shot, but it had good form. I look for really good things from him this season.

I believe our most productive lineup will be Frey, Hall, Ricketts(who has showed significant defensive improvement), Blevins, and Kirby.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."