The Bobcats vrs Western Montana

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

The Bobcats vrs Western Montana

Post by mslacat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:39 am

OK listen remember they are only exhibition games! For both Bobcats teams this is their first game against a different team this year. Both Western Montana teams already have games under their belt. Both Fish and Binford are going to be trying different set/plays, players combo, and freshman who may not play a big role in the upcoming season. Don't get too exited if a team wins by 50 pts, and don't sell the farm if it is a 5 point game.

Mslacat Projected Starters
Men
PG Daniels
SG Frey
SF Hall
PF Blevins
C Neumann

Daniels gets the start over 6th man Ricketts, because Fish wants both Hall and Frey free to shoot the ball

Women
PG Sickle
SG Squires
SF Kunderer
PF Lundberg
C Smith

My confidence I got all 5 correct at their correct position is very low. I am very confident Squires, Kunderer and Lundberg will start but dependent on other players they could start at other positions. Sickle (the only true point guard on the roster) has been injured and I continue to hear that Martell is vastly improved and pushing for a starting spot. Smith what the better all around 5 last year, but Braxton may give us more toughness (go ahead and debate that) which we might need more than points at the 5. Wright could surprise, if healthy.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: The Bobcats vrs Western Montana

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:33 pm

I'm just excited that we are underway. Looking forward to a very good year from both. See you there tonight!!!!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:54 pm

Interesting women’s starting 5....... great offense, but weak on defense. I think defense wins championships........ I think the focus last year was on offense and we got our butts kicked! Defense is the key for this team!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:43 pm

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:48 pm

So Hall hurt his ankle...?

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:58 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:48 pm
So Hall hurt his ankle...?
Yep, once again against western.

Hopefully not like last year.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:06 pm

Didn't get to see too much of the women's game. Appears they dominated against what is supposed to be a highly ranked NAIA team from Western.

The men's game: Tyler Hall hurt his ankle again against Western. Not sure if it is the same one as last season. In this game they sat him and put it on ice. Last year they taped him up and put him back out there. I hope, hope, hope it's not serious, but they should keep him on the shelf until it's better. No pre-conference game is important enough to risk it.

As for the rest of the team. The game was kind of a mess-with lots of turnovers and bad defense at times. But it was nice to see our bigs not get dominated by a Frontier team as with Fish's previous openers. Kirby has improved a lot, and Usman is huge and gobbles up rebounds.

I think the experiment of Harald Frey at the two has some merit, but I don't think it will last. Harald has to be our point guard.

The team has potential, but I wouldn't be making multi-game reservations in Boise just yet.

By the way-the Bobcats beat the Bulldogs 90-75.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 pm

Traveling. Traveling. Never seen so many traveling calls for a team that wasn't in the 6th grade. It was bad. That number 1 for dillion. Leading scorer and his foul on Hall is what led to the injury. They seemed kind of dirty. Does anyone know how Tyler gets an elbow to the face(not the play he was injured on) and western shoots free throws for a technical foul?

My first year having season tickets to men's basketball. Looking forward to it.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:24 am

lutecat wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 pm
Does anyone know how Tyler gets an elbow to the face(not the play he was injured on) and western shoots free throws for a technical foul?
My guess would be that somebody cussed out the refs :lol:

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:49 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:24 am
lutecat wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 pm
Does anyone know how Tyler gets an elbow to the face(not the play he was injured on) and western shoots free throws for a technical foul?
My guess would be that somebody cussed out the refs :lol:
Must have been a bit both ways. I couldn’t see it but Tyler definitely got the defender. He was over cleaning up a bloody lip or something while the refs reviewed it for the flagrant call.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:03 am

Western defender playing tight defense, Hall led with a forearm to the face. In my opinion kind of a cheap shot.

Playing a smaller Western team that lost 4 starters and picked to finish last in the Frontier, game shouldn't have been that close.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:33 am

Any idea how bad the ankle sprain is? and what the recovery time table may be?

Was Hall walking on his own after the game without any assistance?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:03 am

I should have followed my own advise (posted in the first post of this thread) before tweeting last night. Western was the better prepared team, they played crisp, and ran their plays to mid season form. They got a lot of wide open free bees and to their credit hit them. In the second half they pulled with in 12 (maybe 10) on a couple occasions. Statistically we won almost all the battles except turnovers, to which we had 20 turn overs to their 8. It seemed that a majority of the turn overs were unforced. WE really need to clean up a lot of performance issues, we won on talent western kept themselves into the game by performance. Hopefully we can work out these issues before conference.

Notes.

I like the idea of refs be able to check the video to clear up fouls, but they have to do it quicker! They took close to 5 minutes each time and just took energy out of the game.
Hall's intentional foul, I had a great angle on it. Tyler at the top of the key made an strong quick move towards the basket. He had defender who was on him close and Hall extended bent forearm (as he does) into the defender chest to help create space to himself (Hall) . Unfortunately Halls defender was shorty and low and Halls forearm instead slid up the top of defenders arm. Tyler's forearm nailed him in the throat (maybe chin). When I saw it live, I felt it in the stands. Despite the intentional Foul call, Tyler did not mean nail that guy that way, but I think it was called correctly.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:10 am

wapiti wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:33 am

At Half time when the team and coaches took off to the locker room through the Bobcats head, Tyler stayed on the bench for a few minutes till everyone was gone, then he walk/limped off the floor with a trainer hovering as he made his way to the locker moon.

BTW I would not even think about playing him next week against Utah State.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:20 am

mslacat wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:10 am
wapiti wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:33 am

At Half time when the team and coaches took off to the locker room through the Bobcats head, Tyler stayed on the bench for a few minutes till everyone was gone, then he walk/limped off the floor with a trainer hovering as he made his way to the locker moon.

BTW I would not even think about playing him next week against Utah State.
COOL!!!! We have a locker moon!!!!!! :D

aucat

Post by aucat » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:31 am

First the women: This could really be a good team in the Big SKy this year. Clare Lundberg is a big time player. She is tall and she ain't skinny. She can get it done inside and has a great shot outside, even from the 3 point range. I agree with other posters that if this team can play defense it could go places. Good height on this team. We gotta get it done this year though because Clare is a senior.

Men: Well the height problem has certainly been solved. When the two teams took the court last night it looked like a high school team playing a big time college team. So why did the game stay close? Our guys played very sloppy, lots of turnovers, and the D was lacking. Right now I don't see the men doing that much in the Big Sky this year unless they can really get their act together. Tyler looked good until he turned his ankle and so did Harold Frey.

Go Cats

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:36 pm

Men weren't challenged and played down to the competition. Great free throw shooting. Lassi vastly improved over last year but needs to get even better. Ricketts is terrible on defense. Big men may be able to provide some rim protection but will need to improve markedly on offense to do anything on offense. Sam, the Troy Andersen of MBB, seems the odd man out. Will have to really come together to make the top third of the sky.

On another note, Fish seems more contained and comfortable coaching. Bet that talk with Waded was really something.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:32 pm

aucat wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:31 am
First the women: This could really be a good team in the Big SKy this year. Clare Lundberg is a big time player. She is tall and she ain't skinny. She can get it done inside and has a great shot outside, even from the 3 point range. I agree with other posters that if this team can play defense it could go places. Good height on this team. We gotta get it done this year though because Clare is a senior.

Men: Well the height problem has certainly been solved. When the two teams took the court last night it looked like a high school team playing a big time college team. So why did the game stay close? Our guys played very sloppy, lots of turnovers, and the D was lacking. Right now I don't see the men doing that much in the Big Sky this year unless they can really get their act together. Tyler looked good until he turned his ankle and so did Harold Frey.

Go Cats
Although I agree with you for Clare. I like the way we continue to build a program looking to the future. Remember we get Freije, a two time Big Sky honorable mention, next year as a senior even though Clare moves on. Martell shows she is maturing, Madelyn looked like she continues to improve, Halle Wright will have a second year in the league as a 6' point guard, the Mochhi girl looked good as a true freshman, Kola Bad Bear at 6'2" will join the team next year assuming her knee is in shape, etc. etc. I just like the trajectory of the recruits and the program and hope it can continue beyond just this year....

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:12 pm

mslacat wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:03 am

Hall's intentional foul, I had a great angle on it. Tyler at the top of the key made an strong quick move towards the basket. He had defender who was on him close and Hall extended bent forearm (as he does) into the defender chest to help create space to himself (Hall) . Unfortunately Halls defender was shorty and low and Halls forearm instead slid up the top of defenders arm. Tyler's forearm nailed him in the throat (maybe chin). When I saw it live, I felt it in the stands. Despite the intentional Foul call, Tyler did not mean nail that guy that way, but I think it was called correctly.
I too think it was called correctly, and also had a great angle sitting a couple rows up behind Western bench on the side of the court where happened. The so called "shorty" is 6'2" and what I saw was a lead by Hall with a forearm directly into the chin/mouth of the defender. Pretty sure Hall's arm didn't slide up defenders arm then into his face.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:29 pm

aucat wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:31 am

Go Cats
Would have been a blowout if Tyler even plays 25 minutes. Relax! This men's team will be much improved assuming Tyler heals this time.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz