What will be a successful season

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

What will be a successful season

Post by mslacat » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:56 am

The official coaches and media polls are out. There are a handful of other publication who have weighed on where they feel the Bobcats will Finish this season.

For the men the coaches have us pegged tied for 6th and the Media has us finishing in 5th place. In reading through a handful of other publications prediction, I saw in one who predicted a breakout 3rd place year for the Bobcats and another had us finishing tied for 9th, but for the most part 5,6 seems to be the consensus. My question is not where do you think we will finish but given the roster and building process what do you think will it take for you to consider this a successful season. For me making some noise in Boise is important for me. In my opinion 2 (maybe three) strong games in the tournament could forgive some lapses in the regular season. I also want to see team growth from November thru March and not have a typical Bobcat February collapse. This is Hall's 4th year, a type of player we only get every 10-15 years, I don't what his legacy to be team failure. So what I am looking for is on a sliding scale, a winning season record is a must but other factors could effect (positive or negative) my final opinion. I will try though,

More wins than loses
At least one win at the tournament
90% Sure that the program is on solid ground and confident it can be built stronger

For the women. it is a little easier with a coach/program 13 years experience and has built up enough collateral with me that even if this season turns into a complete bust, I may be disappointed but I have enough confidence that the program is in good shape. The coaches have the team tied for 5th and Media 6th place finish. I am high on this team and as I have mentioned before I think the addition of Claire Lundberg and Martha Kunderer are going to be huge, and are going to surprise a lot of coaches and media people. Halle Wright is also a hidden gem who could make a big impact. I think we have a chance to take the conference championship. On the other end I think if we finished below a 4th place I would feel disappointed (I am not sure if it would be more at me :oops: or the team). Of course the tournament results could effect things wildly. Examples: win conference regular season and then lose in the first round :cry: or place 4-5 in the regular season and then win the tourney :D . As I said earlier though even a 10-11 place finish might seriously bum me out, I would most like still feel pretty good about the program (although with a black mark in the report card)

Top 4 finish
A tournament win or more

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: What will be a successful season

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:09 pm

For the men-a winning record and a Big Sky Tournament win...oh who am I kidding, we won't get a Big Sky tournament win. So...a winning record would have me over the moon and certainly would secure Fish for an extension. Side benefit to this season watching Tyler Hall take over the school scoring record, Big Sky scoring record, and Big Sky three point record.

For the women-beat the griz at least once, finish higher than the griz, get at least one win in the tournament. Personally, I think they'll do better than almost everyone expects, but we'll see.
Last edited by BelgradeBobcat on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:59 am

I'm with mslacat, a successful season is one that ends with us thinking there is hope. That didn't happen last year. Just end with hope. hehe. maybe that is a tournament win, or a regular season where we beat almost everyone at least once. I don't know. I am optimistic about the year, so I think it will be successful.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:02 pm

First round byes for both squads and at least one tourney win apiece. I expect more than that from the women, with the caveat that we need to find a point to run the offense.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:07 pm

For the men, to me a successful season would be one that makes me feel like the team didn't completely waste four years of Tyler Hall...and I'm not sure that's possible at this point.

Maybe making it to one of the big tournaments?

For the women, they have to be in the mix as one of the best teams in the conference. At least 12 conference wins and then 2 more in the tournament.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:42 am

Two starters & THE two transfers.... I'm confident we are underrated. Binford and staff were hyper excited about this team at the beginning of last season. The lose of Hannah is a change, but not one the staff didn't see coming. Claire and Martha have been practicing with the team for a year and by all observations they are a sight to behold on the court; plus they should be well gelled with the team. Blair, Oliana,and Madeline both have grown in their skills and have good game. Ashley and Tori have a year under their belt and are better accustomed to the speed; and let's not forget Madi, she had some great bursts last year and now another summer to hone her skills.
For me a successful season will be a sweep of all home games (after all we have one of the best crowds to help in the Big Sky Conference); finish 1st in the Conference. I won't make a tournament prediction because it all comes down to one game. Even if you get a bye, one bad game can kick you.
One other note, I'm anxious to see Sunny Smallwood's contribution; losing Nate was the unexpected change that I have yet to be able to evaluate.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:56 pm

CatRowdy wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:42 am
Two starters & THE two transfers.... I'm confident we are underrated. Binford and staff were hyper excited about this team at the beginning of last season. The lose of Hannah is a change, but not one the staff didn't see coming. Claire and Martha have been practicing with the team for a year and by all observations they are a sight to behold on the court; plus they should be well gelled with the team. Blair, Oliana,and Madeline both have grown in their skills and have good game. Ashley and Tori have a year under their belt and are better accustomed to the speed; and let's not forget Madi, she had some great bursts last year and now another summer to hone her skills.
For me a successful season will be a sweep of all home games (after all we have one of the best crowds to help in the Big Sky Conference); finish 1st in the Conference. I won't make a tournament prediction because it all comes down to one game. Even if you get a bye, one bad game can kick you.
One other note, I'm anxious to see Sunny Smallwood's contribution; losing Nate was the unexpected change that I have yet to be able to evaluate.
I thought the biggest loss off of last years team was Harris. Since his arrival he has had the Bobcats playing heads and shoulders the best defense I have seen them play since Binford's arrival, and he was a darn good recruiter. As you mentioned the PG spot is of a little concern it is the most important position in college basketball. We have options there but question marks also.

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:41 pm

mslacat wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:56 pm

I thought the biggest loss off of last years team was Harris. Since his arrival he has had the Bobcats playing heads and shoulders the best defense I have seen them play since Binford's arrival, and he was a darn good recruiter. As you mentioned the PG spot is of a little concern it is the most important position in college basketball. We have options there but question marks also.
I agree with you Nate's was last years biggest loss. So I'm excited to see what Sunny brings to the team; and hence the ? on how bad his departure hurt.