WBB rumblings looking towards 2018-19

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

WBB rumblings looking towards 2018-19

Post by mslacat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:36 pm

Talking to some folks about Binford's women basketball team. It appears the area of concern for the 2018-19 season after last season was depth at the point guard spot. Ashley Van Sickle seems to be the heir apparent at the PG spot but the coaches were looking for a transfer (JC or Grad) to challenge and create depth. Squires who will most likely be the starting SG is also very effective at the point. Behind them it is thin and untested. Martell who has played the point but is more of a true shooting guard and Freshman PG Hilborn who could use some seasoning before being thrown to the wolves. Another option though has developed. Highly ranked incoming 6-0 (forward) freshman Halle Wright has been showing a lot of promise as a ball handler and distributor. Despite being considered a Power Forward recruit out of high school, Wright played a lot of point guard in high school especially when her team faced pressing teams. I am told she looks very comfortable playing the point. Her future could actually be at the guard spot where she looks very natural. This year though she could almost play any/every position on the floor for the Bobcats. We have a very deep team at the forward/center spots this year so don't be surprised if Binford gets creative to get all of her talented forwards playing time on the court. Another freshman who is turning heads id 6-1 forward Gabby Mocchi. My impression of Mocchi was that she was a power forward/center of the future, but was most likely looking at a redshirt year this year. I am told though she has been impressing the coaches, she is a hard worker, shoots it very well, and is a strong defender. I have been told she could make an impact at the 5 spot this year and considering we have 2 starters returning at that spot that would be impressive. Our two Seton Hall transfers are looking very impressive, also, coming into the season. Claire Lundburge I am told is a lock for 1st team all conference (or better). At Seton Hall she was a "Shooter" at this level she will do it all. I hear it took her a while to adjust to the Big Sky level, so the transfer year really helped. The coaches wanted her to think not as a role player but as "the" player on the team. I said last year I thought she was the best player player Binford had under scholarship last year, and I still hold to that She is highly skilled, she can shoot a deep 3 point shoot, but she can also drive and slash to the basket or pull up for a jump shot. She is also a strong defender and rebounder. The Big Sky better look out. The other transfer is 5-11 guard/forward Martha Kruderer and she also is turning heads. While Kruderer may not be quite as skilled as Lundburge she is not far behind, the big difference is that Kruderer is/was ready to be "The" player on the team from the get go. She is tough, she is mean, she competes every minute she is on the floor. As you would expect having played on the same AAU teams and at Seton Hall, Lundberge and Kruderer play very well together and are almost yin and yang type complimentary players. Barring injury and Binford getting solid point guard play from this team (it would not surprise me if Squires started at PG with Van Sickle backing her) this team could go far and earn a trip to the NCAA. With only one senior on the team (Lundgerg) and another great transfer in the wings Freije) it could be a great couple of year at the Brick.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: WBB rumblings looking towards 2018-19

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:10 pm

I had followed Hallie Wright last year, and thought she had the background, attitude and flexibility to make an impact this year. It sounds like she is fulfilling her promise. And that's great news about Gabby Mocchi. Unexpected surprise this year. Win a couple of Big Sky championships and it really helps in competing for higher-level players. Thanks for the in-depth update.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:38 pm

Sounds VERY promising. Thank you for the input...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:51 pm

A little WBB recruiting rumblings. Binford has 3 scholarships to offer this year (Senior Claire Lundberg's scholie plus two unfilled scholarships), that said it is almost guaranteed come March-April another scholarship will most likely open up. I don't which under classmen's will decide to move on but it almost always happens that at least one player will choose to leave. Of those three known scholarships, Binford currently has two scholarships already committed in 6-2 forward Kola Bad Bear from Billings Senior and 5-10 guard/forward Kenzie Stumne from Forest Lake HS in Minnesota. As typical for Binford's early commits, I know Bad Bear was in for her official visit during the gold rush football game and I am pretty sure Stumne was also. For the Women's Bobcats last scholarship in 2019 class, one of their top priorities is a 5-3ish (usually listed from 5-2 to 5-4) point guard McKenna Hofschild from Prior Lake Minnesota (she plays on the same AAU team Min. Fury as Stumne and about 7 current Bobcats). Hofschild averaged according to one source 23.5 points (another has he at 27.5) and 5 assists (both agree) per game. She is a 4 star prospect according to ProspectNation.com. The big nock on her is her height. There are a lot of Mid Major and High Majors showing some interest but a lot are scared by her height (she is a middle of the road athlete). I am told Binford and her coaches are in deep with the family, and they really like the idea of a 5-3 former WNBA point guard, coaching her. It will be interesting to see how this develops. What Hofschild will do if she gets a High major offer. I am told if the U of Minnesota offers it a done deal she signs with them, otherwise a big fish in a small pond is also very attractive. Stay Tuned.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:20 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:55 am

Going to be an interesting season! At least they accepted the challenge versus loading their schedule with community colleges.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:29 pm

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:24 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:29 pm
Oh come on Coach. Don't leave us hanging over the ledge😁😁😁

msubobcats@outlook.com

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:00 pm

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:05 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:00 pm
Welcome!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:35 pm

A little more info on The Bobcat Women's latest commit Darian White. She is a 5-6 point guard from Mountain Veiw HS in Merdian Idaho (Not sure if Suburb of Boise is completely correct). As mentioned above she averaged 12.1 points, 5.5 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 2.5 assists per game last season as a junior. If all things go well she will sign this November and play for the Bobcats next year. She was second team all 5-A (along with Bobcat 2020 commit Ava Ranson) I am told she took her official visit at the same week end as Ranson, and they are good friends and play a lot of ball together. She had offers from Idaho State, Hawaii, Eastern Washington, New Mexico and Santa Clara.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:03 pm

mslacat wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:35 pm
A little more info on The Bobcat Women's latest commit Darian White. She is a 5-6 point guard from Mountain Veiw HS in Merdian Idaho (Not sure if Suburb of Boise is completely correct). As mentioned above she averaged 12.1 points, 5.5 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 2.5 assists per game last season as a junior. If all things go well she will sign this November and play for the Bobcats next year. She was second team all 5-A (along with Bobcat 2020 commit Ava Ranson) I am told she took her official visit at the same week end as Ranson, and they are good friends and play a lot of ball together. She had offers from Idaho State, Hawaii, Eastern Washington, New Mexico and Santa Clara.
Same school as Tucker Rovig. It’s basically in Boise.

GO CATS GO!!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:52 pm

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:44 pm

I should have known better! In the men's 2019 recruiting thread I mentioned that this weeks Home Coming weekend is usually a pretty important basketball recruiting weekend. I also indicated that with the Binford's team already having commitments for all of their 2019 scholarships, so it might not be that big of week end for them. Well I still don't know if the Men have any recruits coming in this week end but I can tell that Binford indeed has at least one pretty important recruit in this week-end, but with 2019 scholarships committed, Binford is looking to fill more 2020 scholarships. In this week end is 6-2 wing Katelynn Limardo of Silver HS in Silver City NM. She is a prototypical Binford big girl in that she can shoot the ball from range (deep 3 point land) and can run the floor. As a sophomore she took he team to the NM 4A championship game but cam up a little short. While from New Mexico she has strong connection to the Arizona Basketball scene and that is with whom she has played her AAU basketball. This summer she was the MVP of Northern Arizona basketball camp as an underclassman. Coming into this season as a junior she considered to be a top contender for NM Ms Basketball. Montana State was her first offer earlier this year, but she currently hold offers from UTEP and Northern Arizona (that I know of), but has interest (maybe an offer or two) from Columbia, Princeton, U of NM, NM state, UNLV, Nebraska, and BYU, possibly more.

I am not sure how many scholarships Binford has for 2020 but it looks like she is making an early strong runs at her top prospects for 2020 and may be have them filled before many D-1 schools will have there 2019 recruits committed.

https://d1vv3r1s83df1b.cloudfront.net/b ... _H264.webm

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:40 pm

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:26 am

Went to last night's scrimmage for a while. Fallyn Freije is one of our best players. Unfortunately, she has to sit out this season due to transferring from North Dakota.
Don't get into a three point shooting contest with Tori Martell. You will lose.
Van Sickle was on the bench in a walking boot. That's troubling. We need a pure point guard.
That being said, when Squires and Martell are on the floor together and they're both hitting from out-that is going to be a site to behold.
Halle Wright-the freshman from Oregon that everyone has been really high on was on the bench but did not play last night.
Looks like a talented team with a lot of depth. Too many turnovers-we'll really miss Caudill while they get the point guard situation worked out.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:56 pm

Ole was a turnover machine at the scrimmage. you're right that we need to quickly figure out the point guard situation, especially is Ashley is not ready to go.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz